Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
beerleaguecaptain

Quad 1 - dkmiller3356

Quad 1 - 6’-9’-12’-15’.

Steel:STEP 272

Hollow:100/50 FBV

About Me:  I have been playing 17 years since the age of 34.  As a player that came to the game later in life I struggle with edgework, high speed stability and tight turns.  I am typically strong on my skates in battles in front.  I have been looking to move towards shallower hollows to increase glide while still maintaining a confident edge and increasing stability.  

About a year ago I moved from a 9’ rocker LS2 to STEP Quad 0.  I felt that the Quad 0 was pretty revolutionary for me and enabled me to go from playing on a 100/50 (3/8 equivalent) to a 100/50 (1/2” equivalent). I found I had more steel on the ice, especially under my heel and that my turns, push off and stability were better.  While more stable than my 9’ rocker, however, I still felt I had room for improvement. That is what led to my participation in the Pro Sharp project.

Review:  The Quad 1 was the first set of steel I chose to demo because I wanted to see the difference between the 0 and the 1.  My first impression on my first strides was that it certainly felt longer in the toe and somewhat more in the back.  The truth is that this is not the case…. The rear of the Quad 1 is longer and the front is the same. Nevertheless, that is how it felt to me.  My first few laps were a bit choppy as I got used to the longer radius but I quickly got comfortable.  Push offs were solid and crossovers had more stability than the quad 0.  Transitions were smooth, feeling, feeling more or less identical to the quad 0. After my 15 minutes I felt that this was steel worth trying furtherin game play and might be worth spending more time with.

Mobility:3.5

Stability:  4

Speed: 3.5

Acceleration: 4

Other profiles on deck: The next set up in my trial program is a “glide” radius - 9'/50mm/10.5'

Update....

I have now played 3 games on the Quad 1.  The first game I had increased stability up front and more confidence going into high traffic player where contact would occur.  Game two also felty good but I think I used a bit too much stone. I was grabbing a bit and turning was compromised.  Last game was the charm.  Lighter stone and maybe some of that new edge is wearing off too.  Turns and crossovers were great and stability too. Very pleased.  At some point I will pop in a Quad0 to compare it too.