Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
enis750

CCM Super Tacks Elbow Pads

Height - 6'1"

Weight - 200 lbs

Elbow Pad Size tested - Large (these were purchased w my own cash, were not provided by CCM or MSH)

Level of play: Rec Hockey Div. "B" and Pick UP (2-3 times a week)

Fit & Mobility -I have been wearing a set of Warrior AX1 elbows since their debut. They are a fantastic elbow pad, but are on their last legs w multiple repairs to them. I have also tried to replace them soooo many times! Ive tried the Easton Pro 10, RBZ 150, RBZ, QLT's, CCM Ultra Tacks & even a few pairs of some Pro Stock RBK and Jofa's. The fit has always brought me back to the AX1's..... until now. CCM got it right w these. The Ultra tacks elbow donut thingy was a bit deeper and pinched my elbow weird. It's tough to explain. They've shallowed the donut in this version and it doesn't bother me at all. Th length of these are just a few mm shorter than the AX1's but provide adequate protection in my opinion. This is a 2 piece elbow pad and I can still full extend my arm w them on. The straps are the perfect length, and the middle strap provides awesome comfort. For size reference, I wore a Medium in the AX1's, Medium in the Pro Stock RBK and Jofa's, but Large in everything else retail I mentioned above. These are also a Large and fit perfectly.  I honestly have nothing to complain about in this dept. 10/10 

Protection - As I eluded to above, these are a perfect length (for me). I wear a size 14" 6052V2 gloves and they just touch the bottom of the elbow pads. I don't like my elbows to go inside the glove a whole bunch, I find it super uncomfortable and theres a huge lack of mobility. The forearm slash guard is hard and they even have some D30 foam tossed in there too. I wish the D30 foam part wasn't exposed as much though, as it seems like the "netting" its in will eventually tear and rip. Time will tell. So far protection has been adequate, so no complaints here. 9/10

Weight - Coming from my old AX1's, these are very light. I should actually weigh them, but I can tell from jus holding and wearing them, they are lighter. The moisture wicking materials will also help them not retain water and will be lighter during game play as well. I probably skate 1mph faster as a result too ;). These are a more bulky pad vs the FT1, so I don't expect them to be feather weight, I wanted protection to the max. 10/10

Durability -I haven't spent enough time to comment on the durability just yet, but the only thing I can see wearing out is the netting around the D30 foam on the forearm slash guard. Stitching seems to be quality, forearm step is nylon not elastic & the bicep guard was lengthened vs the Ultra Tacks, giving you more options for fit. Ill come back and score these after some more use. 

Conclusion - As I mentioned above, I have been trying to replace my current set of pads for years. Im happy I found these and CCM got so many things right w them. Small thing is the colours used, Im ready for a new colour scheme away from the white/blk/yellow, but thats a small preference that doesn't really matter, as you don't see them under your jersey anyways. These are getting close to a perfect score from me, but Ill come back to update that after more use and can comment on the durability of them. 

Edited by enis750