Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
bunnyman666

Was there a time when heat press vinyl was used on NHL game jerseys?

I ask as on some vintage footage, I see what looks to be the seemingly unmistakable sheen of HTV lettering on jerseys in the 70s and 80s. I know it was used on practise jerseys for the longest time. I own a few vintage practise jerseys with lots of stitched spots and board burn. It is more of a curiosity question than anything.

Thanks!

Edited by bunnyman666

16 minutes ago, mickz said:

The letters and numbers haven't held up over the years.

28488_lg.jpeg

Ha! Exact team I was watching! I would NOT do HTV over twill; however, for authenticity sake, I would do HTV on truly retro sweaters! The saddest thing is that that ‘diques sweater is one I can NEVER find in Goalie Cut!

Thanks for the answer AND the pic!

Back then jerseys weren’t universal as they are today. Teams used different manufacturers, twill choices and lettering choices. 

The crest and the Rendezvous 87 patch is the only thing that is embroidered on it. 

On 1/4/2019 at 6:38 PM, JR Boucicaut said:

Back then jerseys weren’t universal as they are today. Teams used different manufacturers, twill choices and lettering choices. 

The crest and the Rendezvous 87 patch is the only thing that is embroidered on it. 

I knew that there were no fewer than five manufacturers (not incuding the “Nike” Oilers jerseys which I think they were actually SP). CCM was not the ubiquitous brand it is now (yes- it is Adidas now) for sweaters. When I was a kid, there was not much difference between player and goalie breezers, either! I  was always under the impression that twill was the order of the day when it was also heat press and other methods. Too many times I would see the unmistakable sheen of HTV on videos of 80’s NHL. I know the name plates on Blues sweaters were HTV. Again- more of a curiosity than anything. Thanks for the answers and keep more knowledge coming!