Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Wobster

Old CCM Tacks Broken Holder

I have an old pair of CCM Tacks 152’s that are about 15-20 years old. I left them behind when I joined the Army 14 years ago and I just moved to a place that has a hockey rink so I am wanting to get back into it. 

I got my skates back and noticed that I have a cracked holder and severely rusted runners since they sat in my parents’ garage for 14 years. I need to replace them but I am having difficulty finding a replacement. I would much rather keep the same skates and just replace the parts than to buy new skates.

The holders are SL 2500’s and are 11”/280mm. If I take it to a pro shop, can they put any holders on that are the right size or are there specific holders I need?  I checked with a few online retailers and they both told me that they have nothing that will fit, but I’ve been reading on here about people putting Bauer TUUK’s on CCM skates and other replacement mods.  

Any help and advice would be great!

You should be able to just put new size 280 holders on the skates. However, you're looking at spending $130ish for new holders and steel before labor. Figuring labor will be another $35-$50 you're probably better off buying new skates. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You need to thoroughly inspect the boots. You may have dried and cracked glues, stitches that have rotted, and other things like that may make these skates unsuitable for use. They may have fared better if stored in a climate controlled environment. My old pair of skates (Bauer Supreme) had rotted liners and the outsole was lifting! 

As far as installing holders, they can put on as long as the holder isn’t too big for the outsole. I have even seen the newer Tuuk trigger holders on some older boots.

Thank you everyone for the info! It is great information. I will look it over to see if the boots are still in decent condition. If they are still good I may take a chance on replacing the holders only because it is a hard sell to get the wife to let me spend a couple hundred bucks for a new pair if I can only use it for a year until we move. 

Those were molded runners. If that’s cracked, chances are the rest of the skate are in the same condition.

It’ll cost you $120 minimum for new holders and steel. For a little bit more money, you could buy skates that are better than those 152s were. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2019 at 11:29 AM, Wobster said:

I have an old pair of CCM Tacks 152’s that are about 15-20 years old. I left them behind when I joined the Army 14 years ago and I just moved to a place that has a hockey rink so I am wanting to get back into it. 

I got my skates back and noticed that I have a cracked holder and severely rusted runners since they sat in my parents’ garage for 14 years. I need to replace them but I am having difficulty finding a replacement. I would much rather keep the same skates and just replace the parts than to buy new skates.

The holders are SL 2500’s and are 11”/280mm. If I take it to a pro shop, can they put any holders on that are the right size or are there specific holders I need?  I checked with a few online retailers and they both told me that they have nothing that will fit, but I’ve been reading on here about people putting Bauer TUUK’s on CCM skates and other replacement mods.  

Any help and advice would be great!

I would suggest looking for clearance hockey skates. Any model from the past 3 years will be lighter and stiffer than your 152's.

You could always get them replaced with TUUK holders. Skates holder designs have improved through the years, but they still are riveted to the boot.