Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
RadioGaGa

An All Star Game idea

So, people always seem to have a lengthy list of "snubs" when it comes to all star selections. Fact is, there are not enough spaces for every worthy player to go and the current format 3 on 3 really doesn't allow for additional roster spots. 

During the last World Cup, the Young Guns teams of Europe/North America seemed to catch everyone's attention, and realistically were probably the best part of that event. So, why not do the same with the ASG? 6 teams instead of 4. Each division is represented, then you make 2 teams comprised of remaining age 23 and under players from Europe and North American (regardless of what division/conference they are from). You may have to alter the length of the games to make up for the extra teams, but it would allow more players to make it, and if you let the initial 4 division based teams be voted by fans, it creates an interesting dynamic where a NA team featuring Mitch Marner, could end up facing an Atlantic Team with Austin Matthews.

Maybe give the teams representing the divisions with the top team in each Conference a bye, so it limits the number of extra games you have to play. Who knows...I'm just throwing stuff against the wall here.

Anything stick??

Howdy,

I think that sounds interesting.  🙂  The only thing would be when the All Star is also a young gun...  A young guns team without McDavid for instance seems a little weird.  But a "young remaining guns" team would still be interesting.

I wish there was a way to get people there for the skills competition that were actually the best in the league for that particular thing.  Like "hardest shot" without Chara or whatever seems pretty silly.  Of course, I'm WAY more interested in the skills competition than I am the 3v3 game.

Mark

Do the skills competition, have them do some charity work, and call it a day.

The 3v3 tournament has lost its novelty, and the players don't care at all (why should they). Just do away with it.

Last year, weren't they touting the money that the winning team was going to get, and it was an obscenely low number relative to what an NHL Star makes?

I certainly remember some kind of pointless incentive for them to play hard...

Winning team shares $1 million, around $100k for an afternoon of work ain't bad.

As for the skills competition, they tried it with each team's best skill guy at each thing. Nobody cared that John Rohloff had the hardest shot on the Bruins that year.

5 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Winning team shares $1 million, around $100k for an afternoon of work ain't bad.

As for the skills competition, they tried it with each team's best skill guy at each thing. Nobody cared that John Rohloff had the hardest shot on the Bruins that year.

I bet that is why they have Weber as the Habs "Last Man In" choice and not Domi or Gallagher. They want him in the hardest shot comp.

If I ran the all-star game, the breakaway competition would have NHL'ers shooting, but I'd find the 2 best local non-pro goalies, offer them $100 per save, and watch the magic happen.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

If I ran the all-star game, the breakaway competition would have NHL'ers shooting, but I'd find the 2 best local non-pro goalies, offer them $100 per save, and watch the magic happen.

I love this idea.