Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Torikkun

10' - Torikkun

Steel - Step 220

Hollow - 3/4"

Profile - 10' (control) 

About Me - I started skating about 2 years ago and started playing hockey about 1 year after that. After reading a ton of threads, everyone emphasized skating, so I wanted to make sure I could skate before I got into any hockey. Had I done things differently, I would have starting skating and doing off-ice stick work because when I started playing, my hands couldn't keep up with my feet. (They still can't hahah, but I'm slowly getting there.) Every time I play hockey with someone new, they've always commented on how good my skating looks. I've been asked multiple times if I figure skated in the past. A lot of people think I'm really fast (at my level), even though I always lose in straight races with my friends, so I think the "fast" perception comes from smooth skating. I definitely feel like technique wise, my skating is very smooth, but my greatest weakness is agility with turns/pivots and explosive power acceleration/stops. I also have a bad tendency to skate upright in the back, even with my knees bent, and this comes from scoliosis surgery I had at 13. (My posture is great though!) This causes me to be a bit more on my heels than I should.

Being an engineer, I love to tinker and try out new things. When I felt I was a decent enough skater I started fiddling with hollows. This site got me interested in profiling, but I could never justify trying out a bunch of different profiles, so this project was the perfect excuse! I've had my skates profiled once when I upgraded my skates. The boots were physically the same size, but since the listed sizes were different, CCM used a smaller holder/steel. The new skate felt too rockery, so I had them profiled to a 10'.

Review - Since this is the control, there's not much to say. The most I noticed switching from the old 9' to 10' was that I had relatively more stability, but the steel felt "slower". When I would try to accelerate and glide, the extra steel would seem to drag. My ideal profile would have the stability of the 10' but the agility of the original steel. Other things such as edges and crossovers didn't really feel any different.  I do recently feel though I wish I could get more agility but have a small area near the rocker "flattened" since pivoting on it feels a bit unstable. Based on this, here are my ratings:

Acceleration: 2.5
Mobility: 3
Stability: 3
Speed: 2.5

Profile Tested Before This: (none)
Next Profile: 9'/10'

Edited by Torikkun
Added link to first test profile.