Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
akravetz

Replacing skate blades

Hi all, I don't post much but I do lurk a bit. I have a question. I have Graf skates that are about 10 years old and the blades have some deep nicks in them. The people whom I go to get my blades sharpened say they can't get the nicks out without grinding the steel down a ton. They have said it appears the nicks are kinda starting to rust a bit. First off, for a intermediate, beer-league, house squirt coach, does it really matter? And second, I looked online and called my local store and found blades are about $30. I just want what I have. Is that possible 10 years later? I have Graf G5 Ultras. Thanks

Andy

Are they the Cobra 3000 or 5000 holders or does the skates have the T'Blade system  for the G35 skates?

if its the Cobra 5000 NT Lite holder, the runners (blades) can be replaced as long as the boot is still good and the holders still feel stiff. The blade holder broke down on friends skate so badly that the rear tower was able to bend. If the holders are mounted using star screws, you should be able to replace the holder eventually as well. 

If its the T'blade system, you might have trouble finding replacement runners. Hopefully someone skating on those might be able to chime in on replacement T'blades runners. 

THey are little craters and pits on the hollow of the blade as well as on the side of the blade. Mostly near the heel but one big one in the middle. It looks like little black dots on the silver steel. I have N5000 plastic holders and I'm not sure of the type of blade. The boots are in good shape and the plastic holders are too. They are beat up, nicked and the boot has some nicks and tears but overall, for 10 years of use, they are in pretty good shape. I'll get a picture soon. 

• Like 1

The nicks and any rust mainly cost you speed, I tested this last year when I put some runners (from an old pair of boots in storage) on just to see the impact. They sound like yours, nicks in the side and rust areas around the nicks and spots in the hollow. When I stepped on the ice it was like skating in mud, I almost tipped over. I then sharpened them and this took away the rust but still had nicks as these were deep (and I couldn't be bothered doing a cross grind). Most of the speed returned but they were still slower than my unnicked runners. If the boot and holder are still good then for $30 it's an easy fix. Or you can get step steel.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 3:34 PM, Vet88 said:

The nicks and any rust mainly cost you speed, I tested this last year when I put some runners (from an old pair of boots in storage) on just to see the impact. They sound like yours, nicks in the side and rust areas around the nicks and spots in the hollow. When I stepped on the ice it was like skating in mud, I almost tipped over. I then sharpened them and this took away the rust but still had nicks as these were deep (and I couldn't be bothered doing a cross grind). Most of the speed returned but they were still slower than my unnicked runners. If the boot and holder are still good then for $30 it's an easy fix. Or you can get step steel.

This is GREAT. I finally have a reason that I can tell the guys on my beer league team why I'm the slowest guy out there. 🙂

• Haha 1