Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
RadioGaGa

Was this a dick move or not?

League game tonight. We're getting thrashed. Off night for almost everyone. They score the 6-1 goal with :10 left.

As the ref skates past the bench to the timekeeper I yell over..."just run it ref". No one on my bench really reacts, they head toward the faceoff, and I hop over the boards...look back at the ref and say again "just run it". He nods...and I realize he is. Clock is at :06 and counting. This is not entirely uncommon. I've heard and seen teams run down a clock in a blowout like that before. I tap the goalie on the pads and do the "good game, good game, good game" handshake line.

I grab my shit and just head to the room.

There is one woman on my team who has lots to say about everything. Apparently, she says to our captain (Rob) on the way to the rooms ...'Who's the captain of this team, you or Matt?" and huffs and puffs and goes into her room (the woman change separate from us).

Rob comes into our room and asks "What was that about??" I said "Oh, she must have been pissed that I told the ref to run the clock...Sorry if I overstepped, but it's 6-1...and in this league, who the eff cares??"

Rob says "I don't give a shit...you can make whatever call you want on the ice". 

So, I ask the MSH Nation...what say you? Dick move or no?

Then again, emotions can run high (especially when losing), and in the heat of that moment it is easy to chew out someone else about something minuscule (that you wouldn't usually care about) when you are unhappy with your own performance.

So I'd stay on the side of "these things happen" and wouldn't give it much thought anymore, and just assume the other person won't as-well.

• Like 2

Nah dude. You're good. We've been in those games where we are getting worked and just want to go home. There is nothing to salvage with the time remaining + the scoreboard. I think that SOME people react the way she did since this is their only time to get on the ice? I can see you wanting every second. For me, I'm on the ice probably more than I should be so on a Tuesday night with game like yours, I can live without the last 6 seconds being stop-timed haha. 

Howdy,

Not a dick move.

I'd also say to give the woman a break as just after getting thrashed is not anyone's best time, but you said it happens often so, whatever.  Chalk it up to grumpy people being grumpy and drive on.

Mark

It's like a gimmee in golf, who cares when it's 2 feet from the hole or 10 seconds left on the clock. Getting thrashed is generally not fun so the quicker we get off the ice the better so we can sink a beer and chew the fat. Problem of leaving it is she may 1: not know about this as a general beer league rule and 2: be the type who stews on shit like this. Next time you see her I'd just say "hey, sorry about the misunderstanding last time but it's generally accepted that if we are getting thrashed...." and see what she says.

Honestly, there's nothing to be gained from playing out the last 6 seconds. But there's plenty to lose. In those types of games, people aren't in the best of moods. All it takes is for one person to do something to aggravate the other team, which can be anything from a dirty look to taking a comment the wrong way, and it's a brew-ha-ha. It's better to sacrifice those precious 6 seconds and get everyone to their beer therapy sooner.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 10:07 PM, RadioGaGa said:

League game tonight. We're getting thrashed. Off night for almost everyone. They score the 6-1 goal with :10 left.

As the ref skates past the bench to the timekeeper I yell over..."just run it ref". No one on my bench really reacts, they head toward the faceoff, and I hop over the boards...look back at the ref and say again "just run it". He nods...and I realize he is. Clock is at :06 and counting. This is not entirely uncommon. I've heard and seen teams run down a clock in a blowout like that before. I tap the goalie on the pads and do the "good game, good game, good game" handshake line.

There is one woman on my team who has lots to say about everything. Apparently, she says to our captain (Rob) on the way to the rooms ...'Who's the captain of this team, you or Matt?" and huffs and puffs and goes into her room (the woman change separate from us).

Rob comes into our room and asks "What was that about??" I said "Oh, she must have been pissed that I told the ref to run the clock...Sorry if I overstepped, but it's 6-1...and in this league, who the eff cares??"

Rob says "I don't give a shit...you can make whatever call you want on the ice". 

Dick 😂

In all seriousness, I have to agree with @IPv6Freely...pull the fucking goalie next time.

I appreciate the support from the MSHers. Not sure if her biggest complaint was the run off (she has been around this league long enough to know it happens) or just the fact that I'm not the captain. Either way, I dont plan on bringing it up to her unless she says something. 

Depending on how the game was going I might have said run the clock sooner. When everyone's having an off night and your chance of winning is gone, sometimes it's best just to finish and get off. Been in to many games where it's not going good and emotions get hot. One player gets pissed because they didn't like something that happened and it goes downhill fast.   

Not a dick move, let the clock run out. I mean, I've been in games where I have thought about calling it a night before the third period starts... 😜

On 1/27/2019 at 1:07 AM, RadioGaGa said:

Not a dick move, but I don't know why the ref would let a player dictate when the clock gets run out. The ref should have had the face-off with 6 seconds left and let the players on either team dictate how aggressive or not-aggressive they play after the face-off. 

I think if there's 6 seconds left and we're in the oppositions zone, I wouldn't want to run the clock. I'd rather have 6 seconds of trying to make it 2-6 than just giving up. If it's in our zone, I'd chat to a team mate and ask them should we run the clock, if they shrug, then yes.. but then there's the danger that the ref would just drop the puck and then we're caught in a scramble - it's happened ;-)

4 hours ago, RickDC said:

I think if there's 6 seconds left and we're in the oppositions zone, I wouldn't want to run the clock. I'd rather have 6 seconds of trying to make it 2-6 than just giving up. If it's in our zone, I'd chat to a team mate and ask them should we run the clock, if they shrug, then yes.. but then there's the danger that the ref would just drop the puck and then we're caught in a scramble - it's happened 😉

Its beer league and the game is over. The guy going hard with 6 seconds left on either side in a 6-1 game is just looking to start problems.

9 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

Its beer league and the game is over. The guy going hard with 6 seconds left on either side in a 6-1 game is just looking to start problems.

Agreed.  Nothing good will come from a faceoff with 10 seconds left in a lopsided game.

My league used to have running time in the 3rd if the score was a 6 goal differential, at the discretion of the losing team. This past season they took the choice away and it runs now regardless because they said they had more fights, injuries, and suspensions at the end of these kinds of games when the team elects not to run the clock, than any other time.  Now they just want to get the game over with as quickly as possible. 

Maybe it's just me, I don't really care what the score is, I try my hardest on each and every shift, I don't care whether it's 10-1 or 1-10 - if the other team are dropping the puck in our zone and we're 10-1 up and they still want to play, hey I'll play and respect them for it. We're there to play hockey - I think anything else is just condescending towards the other team and I'm not there to give pity, or take pity. If they give up, hey, I support them doing that as well, not my preference, but I respect that not everyone is the same as me. Personally, I find it super exciting to try and go for goal in 10 seconds, or defend against a goal in that time, and I'm there to be excited by the game.

If people are dicks with that many seconds to go, on either side, then they're going to be dicks at any time.

I'm just there to have fun, for exercise and to me, being pressured IS fun. Giving up, not pressuring - is just not fun and I think where people start to just take hockey for granted and lose interest - if you're not challenged, then what's the point?

20 minutes ago, RickDC said:

Maybe it's just me, I don't really care what the score is, I try my hardest on each and every shift, I don't care whether it's 10-1 or 1-10 - if the other team are dropping the puck in our zone and we're 10-1 up and they still want to play, hey I'll play and respect them for it. We're there to play hockey - I think anything else is just condescending towards the other team and I'm not there to give pity, or take pity. If they give up, hey, I support them doing that as well, not my preference, but I respect that not everyone is the same as me. Personally, I find it super exciting to try and go for goal in 10 seconds, or defend against a goal in that time, and I'm there to be excited by the game.

If people are dicks with that many seconds to go, on either side, then they're going to be dicks at any time.

I'm just there to have fun, for exercise and to me, being pressured IS fun. Giving up, not pressuring - is just not fun and I think where people start to just take hockey for granted and lose interest - if you're not challenged, then what's the point?

If you feel you need to be a Johnny Tryhard with 10 seconds left in a lopsided game to feel fulfilled with the game, well.........you'll find you are in a distinct minority in the beer league community

• Like 1