Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Ryan91330

P46 vs P30 vs W71

I've been using the P28 for ball hockey a while now and my mid range snap shots go very high from no matter how much I curl the stick back down in the follow through. However, I do like the stickhandling and the backhand capabilities. I've previously used the Bauer P14 but I found the blade too short for stickhandling. Currently, I'm looking at either the CCM P46, the CCM P30 or the Warrior W71.

I am a Center/Winger who takes 90% snap shots and 10% slap shots and right now I can only take snaps in close because of the crazy lift that I get from the P28. I'm the shoot first type of player so being able to shoot accurately is a big plus for me (I know that comes through training, but it's hard to change form after so many years + time for a new stick anyways)

Could you guys share your experience of using the P46, P30 and W71 and possibly how it compares with the P28? Doesn't have to be ball hockey but can be ice hockey as well. Other suggestions are welcome too!

Thanks in advance!

I really like the P46 curve. I've been using it on an RBZ Speedburner for over a year now. I never have issues sailing shots high with it and I found my stickhandling was a lot better than with other sticks I've tried. I shoot from in close with snapshots and wristers and a lot of backhands. 

6 hours ago, lovejotd said:

I love the p46 CCM curve, but it is only on their highest priced sticks, so it can be a tough curve to get

I could be wrong but hasn't CCM discontinued the P46 for their 2018-19 sticks. Same with the P45 and P38. 

12 hours ago, BruinDust said:

I could be wrong but hasn't CCM discontinued the P46 for their 2018-19 sticks. Same with the P45 and P38. 

They have it listed as an option on the pure hockey website for the CCM Ribcor Trigger 3D PMT Pure Hockey Link

Edited by lovejotd

On 1/28/2019 at 2:45 AM, Ryan91330 said:

I've been using the P28 for ball hockey a while now and my mid range snap shots go very high from no matter how much I curl the stick back down in the follow through. However, I do like the stickhandling and the backhand capabilities. I've previously used the Bauer P14 but I found the blade too short for stickhandling. Currently, I'm looking at either the CCM P46, the CCM P30 or the Warrior W71.

I am a Center/Winger who takes 90% snap shots and 10% slap shots and right now I can only take snaps in close because of the crazy lift that I get from the P28. I'm the shoot first type of player so being able to shoot accurately is a big plus for me (I know that comes through training, but it's hard to change form after so many years + time for a new stick anyways)

Could you guys share your experience of using the P46, P30 and W71 and possibly how it compares with the P28? Doesn't have to be ball hockey but can be ice hockey as well. Other suggestions are welcome too!

Thanks in advance!

i really want to see what the p46 looks like in person. 

the reason you hate the p28 for ball hockey is the same for me - just by looking at the wedge on the stick (openess of the blade) i could tell every shot will be going sky high.  It's much easier to get "under" a ball vs a puck.  sure you can roll your wrists more or have an earlier release, but that usually costs power on your shot. 

the W71 you will have a similar issue but it doesn't wedge as much and it opens up later near the toe - BUT it is amazing for passing and toe drags.  it's no slouch in the shooting category either but you gotta take snap shots starting mid blade or be mindful when taking wrist shots.  it has a super deep curve so you can fire laser beam passes and if you manage to keep your wrist shots down - you will be able to get a LOT of power due to the deep curve.  Slaps shots - I've had no issue with for ball hockey.

ok the p30 curve - i just can't use this and i don't know why.  it has a nice curved toe for toe drags.  almost a closed face (it still opens up a little).  Shorter blade length.  Sounds good but i find i cant get elevation on my wrist shots and i don't get much power either (probably cuz of the shorter blade length).  Snap shots come flying off the stick you you start shooting mid blade though -I'll give it credit for that.  I have this stick and i haven't given up on it yet - its still good for stick handling and passing but something seems off about it for ball hockey.

My ideal curve for ball would be something with a deep curve (like the old W08 kovolchuk - no longer made) and a closed face and a curved toe for toe drags.  Unfortunately all the sticks with rounded toes also have crazy open blades - not good for ball hockey 😞

Edited by 1q3er5

1 hour ago, 1q3er5 said:

i really want to see what the p46 looks like in person. 

the reason you hate the p28 for ball hockey is the same for me - just by looking at the wedge on the stick (openess of the blade) i could tell every shot will be going sky high.  It's much easier to get "under" a ball vs a puck.  sure you can roll your wrists more or have an earlier release, but that usually costs power on your shot. 

the W71 you will have a similar issue but it doesn't wedge as much and it opens up later near the toe - BUT it is amazing for passing and toe drags.  it's no slouch in the shooting category either but you gotta take snap shots starting mid blade or be mindful when taking wrist shots.  it has a super deep curve so you can fire laser beam passes and if you manage to keep your wrist shots down - you will be able to get a LOT of power due to the deep curve.  Slaps shots - I've had no issue with for ball hockey.

ok the p30 curve - i just can't use this and i don't know why.  it has a nice curved toe for toe drags.  almost a closed face (it still opens up a little).  Shorter blade length.  Sounds good but i find i cant get elevation on my wrist shots and i don't get much power either (probably cuz of the shorter blade length).  Snap shots come flying off the stick you you start shooting mid blade though -I'll give it credit for that.  I have this stick and i haven't given up on it yet - its still good for stick handling and passing but something seems off about it for ball hockey.

My ideal curve for ball would be something with a deep curve (like the old W08 kovolchuk - no longer made) and a closed face and a curved toe for toe drags.  Unfortunately all the sticks with rounded toes also have crazy open blades - not good for ball hockey 😞

I thought the W08 was pretty close to the old Reebok Datsyuk, which is now the W16 (correct me if I'm wrong). 

6 minutes ago, .am said:

I thought the W08 was pretty close to the old Reebok Datsyuk, which is now the W16 (correct me if I'm wrong). 

no the warrior w08 was never carried on by anyone (you can get it as a custom stick from warrior but $$$$) - I mean you could say its a closed face 88 curve with a much deeper curve and a long blade

On 1/28/2019 at 5:45 AM, Ryan91330 said:

Thanks in advance!

You could try a blade with a heel curve like P02, or a mid-heel curve like P91.