Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Matt18

Custom Bauer Skate Question 2s Pro 3d Scan

So it is that time for new skates as my mx3 are getting a bit old and I was thinking of pulling the trigger on some custom 2s Pro skates but had a few question prior to pulling the trigger.  

1.  3d Foot scan accuracy:  I currently wear 11.5 - 12 shoes and current skate in a 10D skate. I have got my feet scan multiple times and they say I'm in a 9D stock skate. (tech 8.75 on my left and an 8.25 on right).  I have never been a scrunch my toes touch on the front of the skates but I find it very hard to believe I"m a 8.5 and 8 skates when I have 11.5/12 shoes. 
  2. Liners:  Trying to figure out of I should go the grip liner or the stock liner, any pros versus cons of one vs the other?    Also does anyone know if you can get the extra tongue wear pads on the side with the grip liner. 
  3. Tongue:  Does anyone have any feedback on the new tongues on the 2S pro / 1x skates and their mold ability. I run my tongues under my shins so I could go with a smaller tongue but I am interested in the increased shot protection that the flex / reflex pro tongue might provide. 
  4. Eyelets: I think I'm pretty set on the going with the standard eyelets versus the injected due to durability and repair since I want these to be the last skates I buy.  Unless anyone can provide a convincing reason to go with the injection eyelets.  

Thanks to all for the input.

I’ll only respond to question 1. Was it suggesting 8/8.5 in Supreme or Nexus? 

When I got scanned, it suggested the same in Supreme EE, but recommended Nexus EE.  I also wore a size 12 boot or shoe.  I went to a podiatrist, who measured my feet and told me I had a wide forefoot, and was actually a 10.5, but 3E-4E, which is why I was wearing 12s, to get the width, but at the cost of too long a shoe, which caused arch pain. 

I ended up getting the 8.5 Nexus EE and never felt better. 

6 minutes ago, Siponarius said:

I’ll only respond to question 1. Was it suggesting 8/8.5 in Supreme or Nexus? 

When I got scanned, it suggested the same in Supreme EE, but recommended Nexus EE.  I also wore a size 12 boot or shoe.  I went to a podiatrist, who measured my feet and told me I had a wide forefoot, and was actually a 10.5, but 3E-4E, which is why I was wearing 12s, to get the width, but at the cost of too long a shoe, which caused arch pain. 

I ended up getting the 8.5 Nexus EE and never felt better. 

The scan suggested the Standard D width in the Supreme line .   That is why I'm scratching my head a bit.. 

Edited by Matt18

1 hour ago, Matt18 said:

So it is that time for new skates as my mx3 are getting a bit old and I was thinking of pulling the trigger on some custom 2s Pro skates but had a few question prior to pulling the trigger.  

1.  3d Foot scan accuracy:  I currently wear 11.5 - 12 shoes and current skate in a 10D skate. I have got my feet scan multiple times and they say I'm in a 9D stock skate. (tech 8.75 on my left and an 8.25 on right).  I have never been a scrunch my toes touch on the front of the skates but I find it very hard to believe I"m a 8.5 and 8 skates when I have 11.5/12 shoes. 
  2. Liners:  Trying to figure out of I should go the grip liner or the stock liner, any pros versus cons of one vs the other?    Also does anyone know if you can get the extra tongue wear pads on the side with the grip liner. 
  3. Tongue:  Does anyone have any feedback on the new tongues on the 2S pro / 1x skates and their mold ability. I run my tongues under my shins so I could go with a smaller tongue but I am interested in the increased shot protection that the flex / reflex pro tongue might provide. 
  4. Eyelets: I think I'm pretty set on the going with the standard eyelets versus the injected due to durability and repair since I want these to be the last skates I buy.  Unless anyone can provide a convincing reason to go with the injection eyelets.  

1)  I find the 3D Skate Lab Scanner to be extremely accurate when it comes to recommending which line is right.  I find that most people buy their shoes for comfort which is often bigger.  As for size, it's closest to pro fit or performance fit when you scan barefoot and with a slight knee bend.  I occasionally see it recommend a EE when a D is better.  And how tight someone wants their skates to fit comes down to personal preference.  I always recommend going as tight as you're comfortable with. What was the fit like when you tried on the 9D?

2) I haven't seen the grip liner come with wear pads.  I like the stock tongue with wear pads and comfort edge.

3) The 2S Pro tongue is pretty stiff out of the box but wraps well over the top of the foot.  Tongue is almost bulletproof when it comes to protection.

4) My 3rd skate with the injected eyelets and I'd never consider going back to traditional facing and eyelets.  Definitely a performance feature that maintains its' flex properties over the life of the skate.  I've seen about a half dozen failures and everyone has been the result of skating in a skate too big resulting on cranking in order to get them tight.

26 minutes ago, stick9 said:

@Matt18 I wear a size 9 shoe and currently wearing a size 5.5 skate. Think the scan recommended a 6 - 6.5, I forget. So not totally out of the norm.

Same here.  Size 9.5 shoe/sneaker and scan recommendation of 7 and I skate in size 6 skates.  Disclaimer:  Using the Brannock I size 7.75 so I would be trying a size 7 to begin with and then elicit customer feedback.

Is 11.5 your sneaker size or dress shoe bc I’m a smaller size in dress shoe than sneakers. 

I love the injected lacing would never want to go back to regular eyelets, I’ve heard of durability issues but I’ve had my S15 1X skates since the day they came out, I play 3-4 times a week every week since I bought them and have never had a single duribility issue with them. I believe the durability issue was more on the APX2 bc they painted it and that effected the durability. I highly recommend the injected lacing system.

It depends on the shoe/ company.  Generally I'm 12 sneaker and 11.5 shoe. I did try on the 9D stock 2s Pro but it seemed like my toes where pretty tight compared to what I'm used to.  Also on the 9 is seemed like the top of my foot was bulging out (no way I would pass the pencil test).  

Also when I got scanned I was standing more upright than a slight knee bend do you think this could have impacted my scan? 

Most consistent results that I've seen is with a very slight knee bend. I don't consider the pencil test to be the be all end all requirement for determining whether or not it might cause lacebite down the line.  I think it's okay to be a little over the top but would be concerned if someone was busting out.

As for the 9D, tight is good.  Ideal fit is just touching the toecap when kicked back and laced up.  With that fit when you go into a deep knee bend you toes should come off the toecap.  What I've found is that a high percentage of adult players have been skating in skates too big all their life and now when they get anywhere near the toecap and a perfect fit it freaks them out.  My suggestion is to try on the 9 again along with an 8.5 and 9.5.  Bottom line is to go with the fit you prefer. 

• Like 3

People often wear both shoes and skates too big for them so using your shoe size to guess skate size is the worst idea. Just use a brannock (for both skates and shoes). Brannock says my left foot is a 9.5 shoe on my left and 9 on my right. Which is dead on. I wear size 7 skates which is perfect for my left foot (slight brush of toe on cap) and my right doesn't brush at all or very minimally. Sucks to have two feet diff sizes but I guess it could be worse and be more than 1/2 a size difference. 

Edited by Sniper9

Thanks all for the input.  One last question..  If I find a stock size to go with and stay with the injected laces do you guys see any reason to pay the extra $200 dollars for custom? 

FWIW my feet scanned at a 9.5D Vapor.  No way on the Vapor, but the 9.5D Supremes fit like a glove.  I typically wear anywhere from a 10.5-12 shoe, depending on the type and brand.  Good luck on your purchase.

11 hours ago, Matt18 said:

Don't trust the scan on it's own. Go back to the shop and try on each of the 3 lines in the size it recommends. Take the laces right out, this is important to stop the boot from binding on your foot. Put the boot on and check the length. Take a pencil with you, with your foot in the boot and your toes just / almost brushing the toe cap, bend forward and see if you can slide the pencil down the back of your heel. If you can the skate is too long. If not then it's now up to you as to what preference you like for length, toes a fraction of the toe box or you prefer a bit more room. Then check the volume with the pencil. Whilst it isn't a guaranteed outcome that you will get lacebite if you fail this test, its a pretty good indicator in the place of anything else. However lacebite can be addressed with eyelet extenders so I don't think it is the biggest issue, how the skate fits you everywhere else is the important thing. With the boot on, lift your foot in the air and wiggle it around, it should stay on without you having to crunch your toes up. Now put the laces back in and do them up, you are now checking for how it feels for width and overall snugness. Get this right with a retail boot and then you can go custom with the scan as the platform they build from referencing back to the retail skate that fits you the best.

4 hours ago, Matt18 said:

Thanks all for the input.  One last question..  If I find a stock size to go with and stay with the injected laces do you guys see any reason to pay the extra $200 dollars for custom? 

Personally, no. Why would u pay that much more money to get custom if retail fits you and you aren't changing anything. 

I actually just got my as1s and the size 7 actually is the right size for my RIGHT foot. Toe slightly brushes cap. The left actually touches a bit more but nothing major. So I guess my left is actually more of a 7.5. 

20 hours ago, Matt18 said:

Just to add to the other comments: 

1. I wear UK size 9 (Euro 43) shoes, my skates are size 6.5 and 6.75 customs 2S Pro, and 7EE stock Supremes. 

2. I have the lock fit pro liner with wear pads at the top of the facing. It's good. 

3. I have the reflex pro tongue. I was concerned that it is huge, in practice it's brilliant, it really protects and wraps the top of my foot. 

4. I have the injected facing, and it's brilliant. It makes it easier to tighten the laces and keep them tight as the eyelets stop the laces from slipping. I think some issues in the past might have been due to people pulling on them too much after the baking. 

The way Bauer work it is that you get a scan, and then you try out various stock skates. I scanned to a Vapor but my toes felt cramped in the stock skates, and I preferred the Supreme which I went for in the end. No regrets. Just make sure you are scanned barefoot, I was scanned in Bauer socks which might be why the toes of the skates are a little narrower than I would like, but still okay. 

Why go custom over stock? Well my feet scan to 6.5D and 6.75 EE so custom gets a better fit. But I think stock would be okay. That said I've never worn top end stock skates. The way I looked at it is that custom does not cost much more, so why not? 

On 1/31/2019 at 4:12 AM, Leif said:

Just to add to the other comments: 

1. I wear UK size 9 (Euro 43) shoes, my skates are size 6.5 and 6.75 customs 2S Pro, and 7EE stock Supremes. 

2. I have the lock fit pro liner with wear pads at the top of the facing. It's good. 

3. I have the reflex pro tongue. I was concerned that it is huge, in practice it's brilliant, it really protects and wraps the top of my foot. 

4. I have the injected facing, and it's brilliant. It makes it easier to tighten the laces and keep them tight as the eyelets stop the laces from slipping. I think some issues in the past might have been due to people pulling on them too much after the baking. 

The way Bauer work it is that you get a scan, and then you try out various stock skates. I scanned to a Vapor but my toes felt cramped in the stock skates, and I preferred the Supreme which I went for in the end. No regrets. Just make sure you are scanned barefoot, I was scanned in Bauer socks which might be why the toes of the skates are a little narrower than I would like, but still okay. 

Why go custom over stock? Well my feet scan to 6.5D and 6.75 EE so custom gets a better fit. But I think stock would be okay. That said I've never worn top end stock skates. The way I looked at it is that custom does not cost much more, so why not? 

Did u still get the new skate pain from the customs, while you're feet adapted to a different boot that you're used to?

10 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Did u still get the new skate pain from the customs, while you're feet adapted to a different boot that you're used to?

Not really, customs are formed to your foot, rather than being a generic pattern as per stock boots, so there is not the same break in period. As I said, I was scanned with Bauer socks on, and not barefoot, which might be why the right boot feels a little tight at the toes. I’ve learnt not to tighten the  laces as much as previously as they don’t need it. I know several other people with Bauer customs and they say they are very comfy. I assume CCM and True customs would be similar. 

3 hours ago, Leif said:

Not really, customs are formed to your foot, rather than being a generic pattern as per stock boots, so there is not the same break in period. As I said, I was scanned with Bauer socks on, and not barefoot, which might be why the right boot feels a little tight at the toes. I’ve learnt not to tighten the  laces as much as previously as they don’t need it. I know several other people with Bauer customs and they say they are very comfy. I assume CCM and True customs would be similar. 

I ask bc I recently got the as1 retails and I had more pain/discomfort than expected on ice. And excruciating while walking to the dressing room after. 

17 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I ask bc I recently got the as1 retails and I had more pain/discomfort than expected on ice. And excruciating while walking to the dressing room after. 

I’m not really the person to give advice, as I am only on my 4th pair of skates: a crap beginners pair for 15 years, Bauer x500 that we’re too big for two months, Bauer S160 for two years, and now Bauer S2 Pro customs. However, I’ve never had pain, and certainly not excruciating pain. I did get a few times some lace bite from the s160, and I have had a little soreness from the customs where they rub against a big toe, but it seems to have gone. I baked them three times in total to get a better fit in the toes. I wore them today and they were amazing, like gloves. In my inexpert opinion there is something very wrong with your skates. 

Perhaps someone else more knowledgeable can chip in.

Where do you get pain? Do you have insoles, if so, which? Did you bake the skates? 

Edited by Leif

18 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Pain is never a good sign. It's usually an indicator of a poorly fitting boot. I'm surprised this didn't come up at the store when you tried them on. Anyway, it's totally normal to have hot spots and/or sore feet the first few times out in new skates. That's not pain though and it shouldn't be "excruciating".

2 hours ago, stick9 said:

Pain is never a good sign. It's usually an indicator of a poorly fitting boot. I'm surprised this didn't come up at the store when you tried them on. Anyway, it's totally normal to have hot spots and/or sore feet the first few times out in new skates. That's not pain though and it shouldn't be "excruciating".

I had no issues in store. It just felt snug. On the ice the discomfort was tolerable and it didn't prevent me from being able to do whatever. I just noticed it. It wasn't until after when I walked to the dressing room is when I noticed it was pretty painful. 

The only red flag I felt while in the store was the area by my medial.ankle bone near the edge of the tongue but I wanted to see if it went away while skating which for the most part it does. 

3 minutes ago, Leif said:

You could try baking them again, I would have thought the shop would do it for free given the circumstances. 

They will. Just a bit discouraged bc I didn't expect the break in period to be possibly this uncomfortable