Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Hockey Skate Vacuum Fit

I know vacuum fitting is popular in a lot of sports like skiing and it was at one point gaining popularity in hockey. Are there no companies that make vacuum systems anymore for hockey skates? Has anyone ever asked a ski shop if they would vacuum fit a pair of hockey skates, which I know sounds over the top, but I was just wondering. 

Someone has to have the old CCM Machine (FIT?) laying around that they used on the VAKU Tacks back in 93 or 94. Now if it works or would work is another story but would be cool to try I guess.

6 hours ago, the_game said:

Someone has to have the old CCM Machine (FIT?) laying around that they used on the VAKU Tacks back in 93 or 94. Now if it works or would work is another story but would be cool to try I guess.

F-I-T machine wasn't the same machine that was used on Vakutacks.  Two different decades, LOL

With the advances of materials nowadays, I think the skates mold pretty well without needing additional machinery/processes.

1 hour ago, JR Boucicaut said:

F-I-T machine wasn't the same machine that was used on Vakutacks.  Two different decades, LOL

With the advances of materials nowadays, I think the skates mold pretty well without needing additional machinery/processes.

Or if you're getting a CCM just shell out the extra 100 bucks for the 3d custom. If you fit a retail skate without diff size feet it's prob a pretty good alternative. 

Edited by Sniper9

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

Or if you're getting a CCM just shell out the extra 100 bucks for the 3d custom. If you fit a retail skate without diff size feet it's prob a pretty good alternative. 

Not sure that does anything to improve the heat molding process.

Not an answer to the question, but I remember having a few pairs of the old Vacu-tacks fitted.

Bruised all the toes on both feet each time, don't remember what kind of vacuum the pump

would pull but is was pretty uncomfortable.

Dave 

On 2/6/2019 at 7:08 PM, Dave P said:

Not an answer to the question, but I remember having a few pairs of the old Vacu-tacks fitted.

Bruised all the toes on both feet each time, don't remember what kind of vacuum the pump

would pull but is was pretty uncomfortable.

I had a couple of pairs, and I remember the experience being pretty uncomfortable as well. That said, I remember the skates fitting great (the last pairs of CCMs I bought before my current 70ks). JR's point about improving materials eliminating the need for the process/extra piece of equipment sounds right to me (like most of JR's points). But I do wonder if vacuum+heat molding of great materials might make some of us hesitate a little longer before going the custom route.  

Apparently there still is some store in Vancouver that does vacuum fitting for skates.

Their process is more like a compression fitting though, after baking the skate you put then on your feet and put each skate in an individual chamber which inflates and compresses the skates to your foot. 

4 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Apparently there still is some store in Vancouver that does vacuum fitting for skates.

Their process is more like a compression fitting though, after baking the skate you put then on your feet and put each skate in an individual chamber which inflates and compresses the skates to your foot. 

Sounds like the CCM FIT station.

4 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

That's my recollection of how the VacuTacks worked back in the day.  The boots came without the blades, and (unless I'm mis-remembering) were heated before being placed in a vacuum bag.

4 hours ago, bl4 said:

That's my recollection of how the VacuTacks worked back in the day.  The boots came without the blades, and (unless I'm mis-remembering) were heated before being placed in a vacuum bag.

Yes, but this machine does not create a vacuum, removing the air from the bag.

It inflates. Creating pressure on the skates to form to your foot. 

18 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

That's the CCM F-I-T machine.  They were expensive back in the day (2002 I believe, debuted with the CCM 1152 line of skates); most shops didn't get one.  They were notoriously finicky - I had one in one of my stores back in the day and inherited another one from a shop that closed. I was really never a fan of them.  The main reason was because most used it wrong; they would crank the laces on their skates and then put them in.  

Found a thread on MSH about it, even.  Do a search on CCM Fit Machine on Google and you'll see what it looks like.

14 hours ago, bl4 said:

That's the definition of a vacuum fit.  Superfeet used to have a vacuum fitting method for their insoles as well.

• Like 2

On 2/6/2019 at 5:12 PM, stick9 said:

Not sure that does anything to improve the heat molding process.

No, but you technically shouldn't have to heat mould/bake your skates after this method is done since it's pressure moulded to a last of your actual feet. 

On 2/11/2019 at 6:34 AM, chikinpotpie said:

There are still a few that work

IMG_0831.JPG

I would love to get my hands on one of these to maybe design a newer version.

While I understand custom skates are an option, the price can be too costly for some or others prefer a less rigid boot and may want to use a second or third tier skate.

Having the ability to bake and then compression fit the skate I think is a excellent option for those folks who cannot afford the custom route or want a skate model that cannot be ordered custom. 

12 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

I would love to get my hands on one of these to maybe design a newer version.

While I understand custom skates are an option, the price can be too costly for some or others prefer a less rigid boot and may want to use a second or third tier skate.

Having the ability to bake and then compression fit the skate I think is a excellent option for those folks who cannot afford the custom route or want a skate model that cannot be ordered custom. 

Have you done the true bake method by using shrink wrap and tensor wrap? That should be a decent compromise. My uncle who is the manager of a LHS bakes the ccms and Bauer a bit longer than their suggested 2-5 mins and does a very thorough fitting with his hands like the old true method with the palms etc. 

I still can't believe CCM recommends you bake their skates for only what 2 mins?? That's nothing. 

Edited by Sniper9

6 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Have you done the true bake method by using shrink wrap and tensor wrap? That should be a decent compromise. My uncle who is the manager of a LHS bakes the ccms and Bauer a bit longer than their suggested 2-5 mins and does a very thorough fitting with his hands like the old true method with the palms etc. 

I still can't believe CCM recommends you bake their skates for only what 2 mins?? That's nothing. 

It's pointless if you overheat the materials to the point that they won't retain their shape.

Comparing Bauer or CCM to a True or Mako in terms of bake time isn't a valid argument.  They use different materials to achieve the same result - thermoformability.  Just because one may take 15 minutes to get there doesn't mean it's the better product.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I imagine CCM is being conservative, because... they have to be. How many damaged/returned skates would they get otherwise when people over bake them and break down the materials? Unless you can measure the internal temperature of the boot to know exactly when they have reached the correct temp, they need to err on the side of caution.

I was just at No-Icing Sports last week and got a pair of Mako M8 skates baked. I sat in the CCM FIT machine for 15 minutes. If you really want to use that machine, you can go to No-Icing in New Hampshire.