Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
stick9

Tips for cleaning gloves (inside)

I have a pair of gloves that cause the back of my hands to break out in hives when I wear them. 

Any tricks for cleaning inside gloves?

I'd probably just get new gloves if it's that bad... Unless you're allergic to the fabric? 

What ive done in the past is spray or soak the gloves (or any hockey gear) in a Lysol solution in hot water. Let it soak a while. Then put my hands on them to squish around and agitate to make sure the cleaner is dispersed. Then I rinse the hell out of them until it's completely risk. I will then put it the front load washer and do a short wash cycle with regular detergent so that the gloves are spun dry. 

Depending on what your gloves are made of this might not be ideal (leather etc). 

This is tricky as water can destroy most palms.  Assuming they are nylon shells, carefully run warm water on just the interior back hand area, trying to keep the palms dry. Once wet work some detergent/Oxyclean etc on them. Rinse all the soap out and put in front of a box fan.   

I had some gloves that were similarly irritating me. They seemed to stop after I had the gear sanisport cleaned, so maybe that’s something to look into 

Trick is trying to isolate what it is that is causing you to break out.  If you've had them and used them for a while before this happened then that lessens the chance that it is a direct allergen that is causing it.  Might be worth picking up a small bottle of Scenturion .  Stewie's suggestion of trying Sani-Sport is also an option.  

8 hours ago, stick9 said:

Gloves are 1X pro's. I've had them a few years. They are in excellent shape.

Personally if they are a few years old I would just get new gloves and make sure they are always aired out with the liner pulled out after every game. I've never had smelly equipment when I made sure this was done. 

Good tips, thanks. There is a place in town that has the Esporta Wash System. I'm gonna a start there. 

I'll grab a bottle of that scenturion stuff for my other gloves. 

Howdy,

I've washed a couple pair of gloves by just soaking them in a tub of hot water / oxy clean, then running them through a washer (Prefer a front loader, but I'm pretty sure I've used a top loader w/agitator too).  Air dry.  No issues.

As much as our hands sweat, I don't worry at all about soaking gloves in terms of damage or whatever.  YMMV.

Mark

• Like 2

Once a year I soak all of my protective gear in the tub in oxy clean, then rinse it off. 

I was worried about the effect on my palms, but I saw someone (like marka) point out that sweating into them is more or less the same as water. 

Ive never had any problem with any ill effect on any of my stuff. I don’t notice a difference in palm feel at all. I tend to use 2nd tier gloves, so I don’t have baby kangaroo leather, just synthetic nash stuff. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I've washed a couple pair of gloves by just soaking them in a tub of hot water / oxy clean, then running them through a washer (Prefer a front loader, but I'm pretty sure I've used a top loader w/agitator too).  Air dry.  No issues.

As much as our hands sweat, I don't worry at all about soaking gloves in terms of damage or whatever.  YMMV.

Mark

Every 6 months or so, I turn on the hot water tap and let the hot water flow into each glove until the water leaking through it turns clear. It removes the crustiness caused by salt deposits and whatever other minerals are in my sweat. You could always wash them afterwards and rinse them again.

I use OdorBan with generic Fabreeze fabric freshener mixed 1:1 and spray them along with all my gear when I hang it dry.  OdorBan is a great economical product.

I've had success putting my gloves in a front load washer using Tide with Oxi Clean and washing with cold water. Two cycles and nasty stinky gloves were odor free. Air dry in front of a fan afterwards. Palms did not get stiff either. Now every couple months I throw them in for a single cycle and they stay stink free.