Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

CCM D30 in skates?

4 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Anyone know why CCM doesn't use D30 in any of their skates? 

IIrc they have some in the tongues of their goalie skates. On the original tacks at least.

On the Outside? I don't see how it could be more beneficial for protection to be flexible in this area.

On the Inside? It might be interesting to have the skate feel differently in response to how hard you push on the skate. But I imagine more would opt for predictable response. But it could be quite cool to have your skate moulded to your feet every time you skate somehow. 

D3O is quite a wonderful product, I hope to see it used more even outside the world of Hockey and Motorbikes.

1 hour ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

I didn't think it was a material that was reactive or resistant to heat, but I may be wrong on that.

https://www.d3o.com/d3o-agrees-strategic-partnership-with-dupont/

D3O, the UK-based impact protection company, has agreed to a long term strategic partnership with DuPont to co-develop D3O® powered by DuPont™ Hytrel®. This product is a versatile plastic material combining DuPont’s thermoplastic properties and D3O’s rate sensitive material.

The partnership will deliver a new material which will target the industrial, workwear and electronics’ markets using D3O® powered by DuPont™ Hytrel, which incorporates both smart and durable material properties.

DuPont™ Hytrel® combines the flexibility of rubber with the strength and processability of thermoplastics producing a strong, durable, resilient, and heat and chemical resistant design.

I have pads with d3o for public skating, and I wear Xion d3o boxer shorts beneath my hockey shorts. It’s fantastic stuff. There are other similar products, though I think d3o was the first to use a non Newtonian fluid. POC is similar, as good I think, and G-Form is an American copy, but my G-form elbow pads are not as good as d3o. Bauer use G-form in their ‘flex-orb’ padding. 

Where would you place it in skates and why? It is too thick for the toes and forefoot. So that really leaves the ankle region, and I guess it would provide protection from side impact and cushion the ankle. When I’ve taken shots to the boot, it’s been the toe and side of the forefoot that took the shock. I guess you could line the tongue, though it might be too soft, and create lace pressure so you’d need a hard over layer. I often wonder why felt is so widely used since it wears, but it is cheap and easy to work, so maybe that is the answer.