Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
IPv6Freely

CCM Cowlingless

It looks like a few problems with the unwanted blade release *may* have been solved, at least on paper. I was only against the quick release runner because of the fact that it can release at the most inopportune times it seems. As a men’s league goaler, I certainly don’t want to crawl to the bench hoping to have someone re-installing my runner. I tend to have Murphy’s law be observed when playing hockey, which is why I would not even risk it with the Vertexx holder when I had ordered my VH/True skates. 

Though I am famously anti-no cowling, I am not against it in theory, just in practise; however- I DO have a solution in the works to take advantage of attack angle of a holder with the protection a cowling provides. It is really not some top-secret project, but merely another idea adapted from elsewhere. 

Unless Price has been secretly testing a CCM skate, I think he is firmly in the Graf cowling camp but for a different reason: he likes the height of a Graf cowling. The best part of the protection is GONE with the way his is set up! Interesting as this is the ONLY cowling Step REFUSES to make an Extreme blade as it is too high of a combo. So I find it very amusing that Carey Price’s face is being attached to the new CCM goal skate, as well! 

I'm not really sure what protection you need a cowling to provide.  Cowlings came about to protect the feet when goalies were using their skates to make saves.  That's not the case anymore.  Now goalies have the majority of their skates covered by pad, and aren't turning their foot to expose the side.  In all honesty, if you're getting hit in the skate with a puck, your pad isn't fit or strapped correctly.  You might take one off the toe. but that what reinforced toe boxes are for.  There's significantly more protection in the impact areas of my Bauer cowlingless goalie skates than there is in the impact areas of my player skate (which amounts to basically the whole skate).  I get the quick release holder, none of us need to have our steel changed on the fly.  There is definitely a potential problem for those of us without eqms.  But there's no downside to eliminating the cowling with modern style and equipment.

4 hours ago, psulion22 said:

I'm not really sure what protection you need a cowling to provide.  Cowlings came about to protect the feet when goalies were using their skates to make saves.  That's not the case anymore.  Now goalies have the majority of their skates covered by pad, and aren't turning their foot to expose the side.  In all honesty, if you're getting hit in the skate with a puck, your pad isn't fit or strapped correctly.  You might take one off the toe. but that what reinforced toe boxes are for.  There's significantly more protection in the impact areas of my Bauer cowlingless goalie skates than there is in the impact areas of my player skate (which amounts to basically the whole skate).  I get the quick release holder, none of us need to have our steel changed on the fly.  There is definitely a potential problem for those of us without eqms.  But there's no downside to eliminating the cowling with modern style and equipment.

I took a freak shot off the ball of my foot. My pads were tabletop boot, which leave some skate exposed. Also- I was not down in the butterfly, I was up waiting for the shot, lost sight of the puck through a screen, and possibly stopped the shot instinctively with my foot. It was so quick and now two years in the past!  Freak accident in the end, but I thought I had broken my foot when I got hit there. Can’t speak to Bauer cowling-free; was wearing True. I loved the attack angle I was getting. But it that impact freaked me out and I installed cowlings on my boots as soon as I could put pressure on my left foot again! I do stand up a bit more than normal goalies, and that could have impact on my tendency to feel shots to the skate. I do understand that a 100% butterfly goalie would NOT need a cowl, though it is seeming that a few are getting Custom Skateworks shot blocking material added to the outside of their boots.