Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
mjpisat

Ccm custom skates

19 hours ago, Giltis said:

Also known as Choice Paralysis or Analysis Paralysis. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analysis_paralysis

In the end, I think if you voice your concern, a good LHS will be able to convey/translate the message as well as they possibly can.

That's if you're fortunate enough to have a quality LHS in your area. I live in a part of the US where there is one Bauer & CCM scanner within a 6 hour radius of where I live and the closest True scanner is a 7 hour drive, each way. Even if I was fortunate enough to live in Minneapolis or Toronto, how many people in those areas have experience fitting skates for tall, fat guys with a long list of foot and ankle issues? 🙂 I voiced my concerns repeatedly to the store manager that fitted me for my Trues and directly with True and still had several issues with my skates, but that's for a different thread. 🙂 

I am curious about the CCM's and may give them a try whenever my True's crap out, especially if I can get my holders sent unmounted and the boots not drilled.

2 hours ago, CigarScott said:

That's if you're fortunate enough to have a quality LHS in your area. I live in a part of the US where there is one Bauer & CCM scanner within a 6 hour radius of where I live and the closest True scanner is a 7 hour drive, each way. Even if I was fortunate enough to live in Minneapolis or Toronto, how many people in those areas have experience fitting skates for tall, fat guys with a long list of foot and ankle issues? 🙂 I voiced my concerns repeatedly to the store manager that fitted me for my Trues and directly with True and still had several issues with my skates, but that's for a different thread. 🙂 

I am curious about the CCM's and may give them a try whenever my True's crap out, especially if I can get my holders sent unmounted and the boots not drilled.

I hear ya man.  I ended up ordering mine from the shop in Alpharetta.  I'll let you know how they did.  I don't think we're quite in the same boat, but 6'2" 265, size 13 sneaker right here.  I'm pretty confident in the guys at that shop, my only real concern is the toe box.  I didn't have any options for holders to be unmounted or anything.  Is it that you want different holders, or want them mounted/aligned different from stock?  They do give an option for differently sized holders.

Edited by jpeaslee

2 hours ago, jpeaslee said:

I hear ya man.  I ended up ordering mine from the shop in Alpharetta.  I'll let you know how they did.  I don't think we're quite in the same boat, but 6'2" 265, size 13 sneaker right here.  I'm pretty confident in the guys at that shop, my only real concern is the toe box.  I didn't have any options for holders to be unmounted or anything.  Is it that you want different holders, or want them mounted/aligned different from stock?  They do give an option for differently sized holders.

Alex and the other guy are good people but he even conceded to me that he has only done a handful of custom orders from either manufacturer. If I did get CCM, I might get Mike in HSV to let me know when the CCM rep is in town and have him fit me then.

Just watched the video. He said with the customs you could choose any skate from any of the product lines. I thought that you start with the product line that you fit the best into and then they customize from there. 

2 hours ago, cjpritch said:

Just watched the video. He said with the customs you could choose any skate from any of the product lines. I thought that you start with the product line that you fit the best into and then they customize from there. 

It seems like the big difference between the FT2 and AS1 is that the FT2 is a once piece boot. The AS1 was stiffer than the FT2 from what I remember.

1 hour ago, CigarScott said:

It seems like the big difference between the FT2 and AS1 is that the FT2 is a once piece boot. The AS1 was stiffer than the FT2 from what I remember.

They are both one piece boots. He basically says that.

Can you get Ribcore customs too?  He only mentions Tacks and Jetspeeds.  I am considering customs for too reasons.  One, I am old and haven’t had new skates in like 20 years, so it is  splurge buy.  Two, i have boney feet and my pair now has all kind of extra padding inserted by a shoemaker who used to work on skates because skates always had hot spots poked me and killed my feet.  Thinking customs would allow for batter molding and also adding extra padding.

2 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

Can you get Ribcore customs too?  He only mentions Tacks and Jetspeeds.  I am considering customs for too reasons.  One, I am old and haven’t had new skates in like 20 years, so it is  splurge buy.  Two, i have boney feet and my pair now has all kind of extra padding inserted by a shoemaker who used to work on skates because skates always had hot spots poked me and killed my feet.  Thinking customs would allow for batter molding and also adding extra padding.

Be warned that customs tend to fit much closer, so there will be less room for you to add your own padding. Obviously you might be able to get the skate maker to add padding when they make the skate, but I suspect they only do that in the ankle areas. It is of course possible that the better fit will obviate the need for extra padding, but I'm guessing. I have Bauer Customs and I don't think I could insert padding anywhere, they are a tight fit. 

13 hours ago, mjpisat said:

I’m not sure he covers all options like the 1/4 inch facing

He doesn't even mention eyelets options, yet his skates have all brass eyelets not the stamped logo ones.

colins

8 hours ago, Jason said:

They are both one piece boots. He basically says that.

I was half asleep when I watched it so I may have missed that. Then in that case, I would do the AS1 since they have more volume and are stiffer.

I was sad that the video didn't cover all of the options with eyelets, stiffness, extra facings, toe box, etc. It would be nice if CCM did a video that explained all of the options available for custom skates.

1 hour ago, Leif said:

Be warned that customs tend to fit much closer, so there will be less room for you to add your own padding. Obviously you might be able to get the skate maker to add padding when they make the skate, but I suspect they only do that in the ankle areas. It is of course possible that the better fit will obviate the need for extra padding, but I'm guessing. I have Bauer Customs and I don't think I could insert padding anywhere, they are a tight fit. 

The thought is that 1) today's skates aren't as easy to modify like old leather ones were (and the shoemaker has since passed away) 2) with a better fit the padding wouldn't be necessary 3) I think the CCM customs have options for additional padding

I would also love to have a bigger toe cap, my pinkie toe is always numb even after just an hour on the ice

13 hours ago, cjpritch said:

Yes, I agree this video is somewhat informative but also has terrible misinformation.  You should stay within the retail line that best fits your foot shape.  Just because it's a fully custom skate does not mean you can choose any skate in the CCM line like the video suggest.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

The thought is that 1) today's skates aren't as easy to modify like old leather ones were (and the shoemaker has since passed away) 2) with a better fit the padding wouldn't be necessary 3) I think the CCM customs have options for additional padding

I would also love to have a bigger toe cap, my pinkie toe is always numb even after just an hour on the ice

FWIW I have Bauer Custom skates and I get some soreness on the outside toes on my right foot. Oddly enough the boot seems to mould itself to my foot while skating and after 30 minutes or so the rubbing goes, and the fit is perfect. However, we don't know how the CCM and Bauer processed compare. (You would hope that both are first rate.) 

8 hours ago, colins said:

He doesn't even mention eyelets options, yet his skates have all brass eyelets not the stamped logo ones.

colins

All CCM Total Custom skates will come with brass eyelets.

11 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

Can you get Ribcore customs too?  

Yes. There will be an option to order Ribcor.

Just did a fit and ordered the custom FT2's today. I've always been a Bauer skater but had some serious reservations about whether or not Bauer was really doing the heat mold off of a last of your foot dimensions after talking with the fit people on the phone. Now that custom dimensions are being used, there won't be such thing as a "Bauer vs. CCM" foot like used to be so cut and dry. I looked over the new Vapor's coming out in June/July, and they looked like they had a nice skate coming there, but my last Bauer customs were definitely NOT made from my foot dimensions, and they did more of a "close enough" fit based on old school measuring tape methods that must not have translated very well. Both pairs ended up with considerable more negative space over time that I could only attribute to inner skate lining components breaking down.

I should have them in about a month I guess.

4 hours ago, Tondog said:

Just did a fit and ordered the custom FT2's today. I've always been a Bauer skater but had some serious reservations about whether or not Bauer was really doing the heat mold off of a last of your foot dimensions after talking with the fit people on the phone. Now that custom dimensions are being used, there won't be such thing as a "Bauer vs. CCM" foot like used to be so cut and dry. I looked over the new Vapor's coming out in June/July, and they looked like they had a nice skate coming there, but my last Bauer customs were definitely NOT made from my foot dimensions, and they did more of a "close enough" fit based on old school measuring tape methods that must not have translated very well. Both pairs ended up with considerable more negative space over time that I could only attribute to inner skate lining components breaking down.

I should have them in about a month I guess.

Confused about the first part of your post. So you do or don't want Bauer doing a heat mould off your foot last?

Edited by Sniper9

18 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Confused about the first part of your post. So you do or don't want Bauer doing a heat mould off your foot last?

I was wanting a heat mold off of my foot last and the "Fit Expert" on the phone said that they do not do it that way, and that they were indeed aware of CCM's molding over a last. It sounded like they had a little control over it, but not all in terms of making a 3D mold of your digits they scanned and then using that as a boot mold. Given that my last customs from them were the MX3's, and they actually used the punches to widen the area around the ball in my foot, I presume they just don't do fully heat molded boots.

20 minutes ago, Tondog said:

I was wanting a heat mold off of my foot last and the "Fit Expert" on the phone said that they do not do it that way, and that they were indeed aware of CCM's molding over a last. It sounded like they had a little control over it, but not all in terms of making a 3D mold of your digits they scanned and then using that as a boot mold. Given that my last customs from them were the MX3's, and they actually used the punches to widen the area around the ball in my foot, I presume they just don't do fully heat molded boots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kj4-D6oQDs

Well I have them and I would have to say that the process is a very good one with a few lessons we learned along the way. I drove only a couple of hours to a store that had the 3D scanner so that I could get what I feel like would be almost a cast for a hockey boot. It pretty much works as advertised and the boots come out of the box looking just like an old pair of combat boots I had been to Afghanistan in when you look down at the shape. No question about these being molds of your foot! I did the FT2's with the clarino liner, pro thick tongue, and oversized toe caps. Fit and finish is the finest I've seen on a hockey skate and everything lines up perfectly. First impression when slipping them on was them feeling a little too snug across the ball of my foot area. I believe this could be eliminated by carefully manipulating the scanning process by pressing your feet down a little more than you might think to mimic standing with the weight on your feet more. I did the scan bare footed and I might recommend doing it with a thin sock on if you don't want to fret about them being snug from the outset. The combination of a sock, and pressing down a little more during the scan with the front foot area will give you a fit that will not require baking the skate at all right out of the box. As mine were, the baking spread it out a little to be comfortable. 

One of the slight details that you will not be able to deviate very far from will be the insoles. The cheap black ones that come with just to cover the rivets fits well and I used it to trim the CCM Orthomoves that come with the skate. ANY extra material there will result in creating a wierd feeling in your boot until it is trimmed almost perfectly. As soon as I did that, it fell right in and the feel was back to the way it should be. One thing I wasn't really used to was being able to over tighten the skate to the point that it cramped my foot. I loosened and re-tied them for a perfect feel again. The boot itself is incredible and I would highly recommend the process if you have weird feet like I do.

• Like 1

Really cool.  Did you have option to do the quarter inch facing thing?  To give you more volume?  No skates wrap around the top of my foot cuz I have short feet but high instep.

47 minutes ago, mjpisat said:

Really cool.  Did you have option to do the quarter inch facing thing?  To give you more volume?  No skates wrap around the top of my foot cuz I have short feet but high instep.

I don't recall if that was an option or not since it wasn't anything I needed.