Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
clarkiestooth

Coaches: What Protective Gear on the Ice?

I teach at a skills camp and have never worn any protective gear, just skates/gloves/stick and, depending on where the camp is, helmet.  As I get older, and hopefully wiser, I'm looking for some minimal but effective padding for hip/tailbone/elbows/knees.  What are you guys wearing? I'm thinking about some non-hockey specific gear.

Howdy,

Hillbilly Impact Shorts for hip/tailbone...  I got these initially for public skates when I was just starting out, but then wore them for a brief stint at coaching before my son decided soccer was his thing, and now wear them to ref...  They fit under typical ref/coaching pants without any particular issue, at least for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Hillbilly-protective-gear-27041-Impact/dp/B001CSYNZW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1550846430&sr=8-2&keywords=hillbilly+impact+shorts

I use cheap CCM 1052 (?? I think?) shins.  The lockstrap behind the knee keeps them in place well and they have protection in front for the occasionaly stick whack on faceoffs or whatever.  YMMV, but the "shin" part is at least as important to me as the "knee" part.  I would think any cheap hockey shins that fit (and at least for me, don't require tape to stay in place) would be fine here.

For elbows I use some CCM ref elbows.  EP-100.  I mostly don't like them, to be honest.  They don't stay in place as well as my regular player elbows and are more uncomfortable.  They are more minimal (and thus fit under sleeves better) and are cheap though.  I have a hard time recommending them, unless you put them on and think they feel awesome.  If I were doing it again, this would be something I would look for other options.

I always wear a helmet, no matter what.

Mark

Edited by marka

I don't wear anything extra, but I have thought of wearing a visor.  First 10 minutes of ADM I was half bent over trying to show a kid something and he just completely lost his balance.  Stick hit me above the eye and below the helmet so fast I didn't know what happened.  Then it started to bleed and the kids was terrified.  I tried to play it off but he just stared at me like I was crazy.  I have caught an edge not paying attention and landed on my elbow bad before as well, so that might make sense but I haven't done it.

Howdy,

21 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

I don't wear anything extra, but I have thought of wearing a visor.  First 10 minutes of ADM I was half bent over trying to show a kid something and he just completely lost his balance.  Stick hit me above the eye and below the helmet so fast I didn't know what happened.  Then it started to bleed and the kids was terrified.  I tried to play it off but he just stared at me like I was crazy.  I have caught an edge not paying attention and landed on my elbow bad before as well, so that might make sense but I haven't done it.

Yeah, at times I feel like a bit of an idiot putting on impact shorts, shins, elbows, and helmet when other coaches head out with just skates and a stick.  But then I think about how freaking stupid I'd feel if I busted my elbow when I have a pair of elbow pads in my bag in the locker room.  🙂

Mark

Helmet always (I should get a visor though once I start coaching more), gloves, elbows.

I will look at maybe getting those shorts though, that sounds like a good idea.

Never wore anything other than a helmet when I was coaching.  The HS kids were fine because they can skate but you gotta watch your ass around mites!!!  Those suckers have a way of getting in under your legs and behind you!!

For public skating I wear pads with d3o inserts. These absorb shock much more effectively than traditional foam of the same thickness. There are similar foams such as POC and G-Form though I think the latter is not so good. For elbows and knees G-Form is ideal, being light and cheap and good enough to soften impacts. I wear Xion d3o boxer shorts which are superb, but Demon d3o shorts offer as good protection for less money. Falls still hurt, but you are likely to be injured. 

Coaching is the only time I don't wear a cage with a helmet.  Still wear a long half-shield, due to past eye injuries.  Other than that (and of course gloves), that's usually the only protection I'll wear.  Occasionally, I'll put on shinguards under my pants if I decide to play with the kids, since I have been hit with an errant stick or puck in the shins from time to time.

I wear shins and elbows. With loose pants and a jacket, no one can tell. Not that I care. I've played enough sports and worked enough hard jobs. I've felt all of the pain a dude needs to feel to know he's tough lol.

Edited by ParabolicActivity
  • Like 2

If I'm jumping into a drill or a scrimmage (I coach adults) I will put referee shins on under my warm ups.  They're low profile enough to fit comfortably under pants, and protective enough that I'm not going to get hurt.  For hip and leg protection, you may want to think about a light roller girdle or padded shorts,  pretty much any of these would work and fit under warm up pants, especially the cheaper ones.

https://www.icewarehouse.com/Roller_Hockey_Girdles/catpage-RHGIRDLES.html

On 2/26/2019 at 11:10 AM, psulion22 said:

If I'm jumping into a drill or a scrimmage (I coach adults) I will put referee shins on under my warm ups.  They're low profile enough to fit comfortably under pants, and protective enough that I'm not going to get hurt.  For hip and leg protection, you may want to think about a light roller girdle or padded shorts,  pretty much any of these would work and fit under warm up pants, especially the cheaper ones.

https://www.icewarehouse.com/Roller_Hockey_Girdles/catpage-RHGIRDLES.html

I also wear ref stuff when coaching or going out to stick and puck. 

I just skip the shoulders + jersey and go with a hoodie & elbows, with full shins, pants & helmet. I demonstrate skills and sometimes participate, and often players lose their edge and crash slide into me even from behind.

Even doing the same setup when refereeing, was hit in the shins 5x last match after face-off, took a puck of the visor, etc.

I wear a helmet, gloves and a cup. But at times I wish had more. I coach 9 and 10 year olds (squirts). I've gotten nailed in the shin by a puck and I have been knocked over. It's not horrible. Worst was when I was coaching 6U and a kid who was three kicked me with his skates. I bled. Wasn't happy. Kid sat in the box for about 15 minutes while I calmed down. 🙂

Andy in Peoria

• Haha 1

Back when I was coaching Bantams I used to wear everything but shoulder pads and would do all of the skating drills and most of the other drills with them. Much easier to get kids to skate their tails off when one of the coaches is doing it with them.

1 hour ago, chippa13 said:

Much easier to get kids to skate their tails off when one of the coaches is doing it with them.

+1, for kids / players starting late it makes a big difference if a coach only tells them "this is how it should look like" vs actually showing them.