Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Bane

Boot volume question

I recently was measured using the Bauer 3d fit device. It recommended Vapor's in a 7.5D, after ordering some Vapor LTX skates, and trying them, the length seems fine but I am not sure about the volume. I did the pencil test and the pencil touches my foot at the 3rd to 4th eyelet, but doesn't rock. Around the 7yh or 8th, the pencil pushes against my foot a bit.  My previous skates were 8.0D Supremes. I've posted a link to pics of the skates on my feet and the pencil test. Advice on the fit/volume would be appreciated as once they are sharpened, they aren't returnable.   

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1iUtQg8R2Q2QIKy4eNFPG8bS3yvq-p8-D?usp=sharing

Thanks, 

Edited by Bane

I would take the Bauer scan results with a grain of salt. I think they primarilly basing what boot you should be in based on your foot arch, not volume. They also said I should be in a Vapor due to me having flat feet but I huge volume and couldn't even get my feet into a Supreme skate. I had to wear lace bit pads on a Nexus due to how big my feet and lower calves are. Does your foot feel good in them other than you failing the pencil test?

34 minutes ago, CigarScott said:

I would take the Bauer scan results with a grain of salt. I think they primarilly basing what boot you should be in based on your foot arch, not volume. They also said I should be in a Vapor due to me having flat feet but I huge volume and couldn't even get my feet into a Supreme skate. I had to wear lace bit pads on a Nexus due to how big my feet and lower calves are. Does your foot feel good in them other than you failing the pencil test?

Actually, my foot arch is medium/high in both my feet and it still recommended me being in a vapor skates. So not sure about that foot arch thing you talking a bout.

1 hour ago, Bane said:

I recently was measured using the Bauer 3d fit device. It recommended Vapor's in a 7.5D, after ordering some Vapor LTX skates, and trying them, the length seems fine but I am not sure about the volume. I did the pencil test and the pencil touches my foot at the 3rd to 4th eyelet, but doesn't rock. Around the 7yh or 8th, the pencil pushes against my foot a bit.  My previous skates were 8.0D Supremes. I've posted a link to pics of the skates on my feet and the pencil test. Advice on the fit/volume would be appreciated as once they are sharpened, they aren't returnable.   

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1iUtQg8R2Q2QIKy4eNFPG8bS3yvq-p8-D?usp=sharing

Thanks, 

I think that your volume fit looks good to me. If your heel feel locked-in plus that you don't have any lace bite, you should be good to go. You won't have to crank your laces as hard as you're used to because the vapor is more close to the top of your foot. You would probably fit in a supreme skate too, but you would have to crank the laces a bit more to have more wrap and also note that a supreme skate would have more width in your heel area meaning that you could possibly lack of heel lock. Lots of factor to consider in. Personnally, I would go in a less roomy skate than the opposite. Heel slippage cause far more trouble. Are you the kind of guy who crank the laces as much as you can on top eyelets? If so, as soon as the tongue breaks in, you ''might'' feel lacebite...

8 minutes ago, Steven B said:

Actually, my foot arch is medium/high in both my feet and it still recommended me being in a vapor skates. So not sure about that foot arch thing you talking a bout.

I think that your volume fit looks good to me. If your heel feel locked-in plus that you don't have any lace bite, you should be good to go. You won't have to crank your laces as hard as you're used to because the vapor is more close to the top of your foot. You would probably fit in a supreme skate too, but you would have to crank the laces a bit more to have more wrap and also note that a supreme skate would have more width in your heel area meaning that you could possibly lack of heel lock. Lots of factor to consider in. Personnally, I would go in a less roomy skate than the opposite. Heel slippage cause far more trouble. Are you the kind of guy who crank the laces as much as you can on top eyelets? If so, as soon as the tongue breaks in, you ''might'' feel lacebite...

I do crank the laces pretty tight, but I think it has been partially due to the volume in the Supreme, I have been wearing for the last 8 years or so. I did the pencil test on my Supremes (Size 8 ) just for comparison and I have about a pencil thickness (close to 1/4 inch) between my foot and the pencil going across the front of the lace holes.  Would a supreme in a 7.5 D be closer on the pencil test than my current 8's?

Edited by Bane

2 minutes ago, Bane said:

I do crank the laces pretty tight, but I think it has been partially due to the volume in the Supreme, I have been wearing for the last 8 years or so. I did the pencil test on my Supremes (Size 8 ) just for comparison and I have about a pencil thickness (close to 1/4 inch) between my foot and the pencil going across the front of the lace holes.  Would a supreme in a 7.5 D be closer on the pencil test than my current 8's?

The 7.5 D supreme would be closer than your current skates but then again, the difference being that you wouldn't have to crank the laces as much as you used to on the vapor. Also note that as you the boot break-in, you will have a tiny tiny bit more room because that the heel will sit better in the pocket. Probably both family would feel great on you, it also depends on the shape of your feet.

You have to compare the vapor with a new and actual version of the supremes in the same size and price-range. If your feet are between the two lines it could be that you have to test them for several hours of playing hockey/practice  including baking to finally find out the right skate for you. This shit happened to me. Started with the wrong skate. Another test is: take out the laces and pull out the tonge completely to the front, put on the skate and shake your foot. This will show you how close the boot fits on your foot. And be aware of EE-sizes. A supreme-EE boot was definitely wider for me than a D-nexus.

Edited by hockeydad3

1 hour ago, hockeydad3 said:

You have to compare the vapor with an new and actual version of the supremes in the same size and price-range. If your feet are between the two lines it could be that you have to test them for several hours of playing hockey/practice  including baking to finally find out the right skate for you. This shit happened to me. Started with the wrong skate. Another test is: take out the laces and pull out the tonge completely to the front, put on the skate and shake your foot. This will show you how close the boot fits on your foot. And be aware of EE-sizes. A supreme-EE boot was definitely wider for me than a D-nexus.

The idea with the shake is to look for the boot to not wobble on my foot for a good fit?

While I don't want to totally discredit the pencil test I think people misinterpret the results.  Just because you fail doesn't mean that the fit is bad or that you will eventually experience lace bite.  Now if you're busting out of the skate, then that's an issue and an indication of not enough volume.  Having way too much volume in my opinion is worse as you'll have too much overwrap which can restrict forward flex and lead to premature breakdown of the boot. 

OP: You would be fine in either the Vapor or Supreme.  Comes down to which one you feel more locked in and fitting better.  The Bauer 3D scan recommends best fit and most everyone has a secondary fit, although I occasionally see a few exceptions.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steven B said:

The 7.5 D supreme would be closer than your current skates but then again, the difference being that you wouldn't have to crank the laces as much as you used to on the vapor. Also note that as you the boot break-in, you will have a tiny tiny bit more room because that the heel will sit better in the pocket. Probably both family would feel great on you, it also depends on the shape of your feet.

With the skate baked and the facing moulded you won't have to "crank" on the laces as the eyelets will be positioned nearly in the same spot as when u lace them up (if you bake them and if the facing on those Bauer's are heat mouldable). 

23 hours ago, Steven B said:

I think that your volume fit looks good to me. If your heel feel locked-in plus that you don't have any lace bite, you should be good to go. You won't have to crank your laces as hard as you're used to because the vapor is more close to the top of your foot. 

+1

On 3/6/2019 at 3:23 PM, hockeydad3 said:

. And be aware of EE-sizes. A supreme-EE boot was definitely wider for me than a D-nexus.

To me, D nexus felt sloppy compared to the EE Supremes. I don't know if I agree with your statement.

9 minutes ago, jdsmn21 said:

To me, D nexus felt sloppy compared to the EE Supremes. I don't know if I agree with your statement.

Well, we might have different feet.

I have both skates at home, every one skated about 12 hockey-sessions. Supreme 160s 6.5EE, Nexus N2900 6.5D.

The Nexus beeing shorter, narrower on the midfoot and the heel , wider at the toebox and the forefoot and having a higher instep and a deeper bootleg than the supreme. Better fit for my feet, although the toebox is too wide for me. 

After skating in the LTX pro+, the skates felt good overall. So far the bauer 3d fit machine seems to be correct.

Now to get the runners profiled, I sharpened them on my sparx so I could skate last night, but have yet to have them profiled so they feel weird. I'm not really sure what I should ask for with profiling. I don't think I can ask to just match the steel on my old skates as the they are a different size. I know I want a 9ft profile, with slight toe down/heel up, but not sure exactly what to ask for as previously my skate guy just set the pitch and rocker on them without me knowing exactly what they were. Is there a way I can measure what was done to my old steel? 

Edited by Bane

Looks like you got pretty much an ideal fit in terms of volume to me. After wearing them for half a year, you should feel really good in them assuming no other pain point. Skates only get looser over time and feeling overly snug initially is a good thing. Just like getting new pairs of shoes, you will have some discomfort in the beginning.