Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jmy74

Arch Pain

Got new skates and they feel great on my feet other than my arches. I am wondering if i can use a hair dryer to flatten out the arches a little bit.

1 hour ago, jmy74 said:

Got new skates and they feel great on my feet other than my arches. I am wondering if i can use a hair dryer to flatten out the arches a little bit.

Do you have flat arches and the skate has too much of an arch built in? 

yeah thats pretty much the exact problem. i can tie them loose through the middle and get some relief that way but it would be nicer if the skate arch wasnt digging into my foot

Any chance you've got an accessory navicular bone? It's basically an extra bump on the side of the foot most people don't have. They're painful and make for difficult boot fitting. 

https://www.foothealthfacts.org/conditions/accessory-navicular-syndrome-(1) 

Regardless, with flat feet you typically want to add some sort of rigid support in the form of a custom orthodic or SuperFeet. Giving your foot a more natural shape will narrow it and lift your arch to a point where you're not slamming in to the side of your boot or shoe. DON'T add things like Dr. Scholls gel/foam insoles. People with flat feet typically have a foot that's too flexible as it is and those types insoles (while they feel good at first) tend to do more harm than good over time.

I'm the king of bad feet so I understand how much it sucks. I've had three surgeries to move my heels, remove extra bones, and straighten my forefoot.

Do you have further information?

Height, weight, shoesize, lenght and width of your feet, skating-level, your skate-modell/size and the fiiting of the skate (pencil-test, shake-test)?

As I’m doing some reading I’m thinking that I might have a plantar fibroma in the arch of my foot and I’m wondering if this may be the cause of pain in my arches for years. Anyone else ever have this problem? If so how didn’t you fix it?

Custom orthotics could provide a depression for the fibroma to fit in to which would relieve the pressure. It sounds like you need to schedule an appointment with a podiatrist to see what's going on. 

On 3/7/2019 at 9:10 PM, jmy74 said:

Joe I think you might be right. I have had a few problems with my feet lately 

I gotta ask - Bauer skates?

I ditched my stock insoles - they seemed to have too much arch buildup with the foam. 

Yes, Bauer supremes. I have skated in them a few times now and they do seem to be getting a little better. I tried just out of curiosity to take the insole I had in my tennis shoes and throw them in my skates to see the difference and they took the pain away instantly. The shoe insoles were a little bulky for my skates but they seemed to take the pain away. 

11 hours ago, jmy74 said:

Yes, Bauer supremes. I have skated in them a few times now and they do seem to be getting a little better. I tried just out of curiosity to take the insole I had in my tennis shoes and throw them in my skates to see the difference and they took the pain away instantly. The shoe insoles were a little bulky for my skates but they seemed to take the pain away. 

The Supreme does, in fact, have an arch built into the skate as does the CCM Tacks. This is specifically why I cannot wear those skates as it causes me a ton of pain right behind the ball of my foot, or towards the front of my arch. I would put in some speed plate insoles as that helped me with the discomfort.