Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
h4ckb0x7

CCM XS Holders

4 minutes ago, h4ckb0x7 said:

Do you think it would be worthwhile replacing the SB4.0 on my Super Tacks AS1's?

If you are due to get new steel it might make sense to spend a little cash to get the holders swapped too as they are quite nice. We have a few players skating on them and they like how stiff they are the quick change mechanism. Performance wise I haven't heard any players comment on better or worse. 

12 minutes ago, Giltis said:

Are they the same height as the SB4.0?

If so, do some people find it a bit too tall with taller steel such as the Steps?

As far as I'm aware, none of the dimensions changed when it comes to height or how it attaches to the boot.

I automatically like this better than the Bauer trigger holder. I like the mechanism. If I ever go cowling-free again, I will use that holder.

One thing that concerns me and CCM had to test for this. I'd be worried the thumb screw could loosen or back out during play. 

and if that screw ever locks up, how are you going to lever against it to get it to move??? At least with the Bauer trigger you could turn something against it and force it to move. Not that I'm against it btw, but a few years of wear and tear (if a puck hits it hard enough I think you would be screwed....) and there could be some potential operational issues.

Edited by Vet88

3 hours ago, stick9 said:

One thing that concerns me and CCM had to test for this. I'd be worried the thumb screw could loosen or back out during play. 

35 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

and if that screw ever locks up, how are you going to lever against it to get it to move??? At least with the Bauer trigger you could turn something against it and force it to move. Not that I'm against it btw, but a few years of wear and tear (if a puck hits it hard enough I think you would be screwed....) and there could be some potential operational issues.

I have handled and skated with these holders quite a bit and dont see either of the issues regularly occurring. Once you have them in your hand you will see how they are engineered to not allow such thing to happen. There is always a chance that a hard shock could "blow up" the thumb screw but it's pretty easy to swap a new one in. It takes only a few minutes, unlike an Edge holder which would require a full replacement. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stick9 said:

I think from the looks of it, it uses a worm gear/drive, which can drive another gear, but cannot be driven/turned from another gear.

So it would not back out during play accidentally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worm_drive

"Unlike with ordinary gear trains, the direction of transmission (input shaft vs output shaft) is not reversible when using large reduction ratios. This is due to the greater friction involved between the worm and worm-wheel, and is especially prevalent when a single start (one spiral) worm is used."

Edited by Giltis
elaboration
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, stick9 said:

Due to its position I find that pretty unlikely. There are no torsional forces acting on the thumbscrew, and videos I have seen it appears to have a ratcheting function to it. That should be plenty to hold it in place. It also appears to have a pretty significant amount of travel before the blade frees up and can come out of the holder. I think these would be far less likely to pop out than the LS Edge. 

17 hours ago, Vet88 said:

If you watch a video of these in action it appears to be a "bar", about 20-30mm (1"-1.5") through the back opening of the skate that has teeth on the bottom of it with a worm gear in the thumbscrew. If it is a tight enough fit in the opening of the holder any force from a puck hitting the thumbscrew directly would transfer to the body of the holder. Since the holder is Nylon I'd be more worried about the whole mechanism fitting more loosely than it binding. You'd be far more likely to strip out the thumbscrew than for it to potentially bind up, but even that seems okay since there is no real resistance against it. It also looks like there is a hole in the back of the bar that would allow you to force it apart if you really needed too. The added benefit being that CCM will have replacement parts.  I'd love to get my hands on a set to take apart and give a perspective from an engineering standpoint. Is anyone willing to take apart theirs and snap some photos? 

4 hours ago, Brox said:

Due to its position I find that pretty unlikely. There are no torsional forces acting on the thumbscrew, and videos I have seen it appears to have a ratcheting function to it. That should be plenty to hold it in place. It also appears to have a pretty significant amount of travel before the blade frees up and can come out of the holder. I think these would be far less likely to pop out than the LS Edge. 

If you watch a video of these in action it appears to be a "bar", about 20-30mm (1"-1.5") through the back opening of the skate that has teeth on the bottom of it with a worm gear in the thumbscrew. If it is a tight enough fit in the opening of the holder any force from a puck hitting the thumbscrew directly would transfer to the body of the holder. Since the holder is Nylon I'd be more worried about the whole mechanism fitting more loosely than it binding. You'd be far more likely to strip out the thumbscrew than for it to potentially bind up, but even that seems okay since there is no real resistance against it. It also looks like there is a hole in the back of the bar that would allow you to force it apart if you really needed too. The added benefit being that CCM will have replacement parts.  I'd love to get my hands on a set to take apart and give a perspective from an engineering standpoint. Is anyone willing to take apart theirs and snap some photos? 

I can do that when I get back to Seattle Friday. 

• Like 1