Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Leif

New gloves

My current gloves have some holes in the palms and fingers so it's time to replace them. They've survived two years since I started leaning to play. I have top of the range pads as I want the best protection I can get, and having taken slap shots to the shoulders, legs and head, I'm glad I made that choice. However, is there any reason for me to get anything but low end gloves? I have Bauer x600 gloves which seem more than good enough for my level of play. I play non checking rec hockey, so not particularly rough and physical, I play 3 - 4 hours a week and I'm 55. I can afford mid range and high end gloves, but why spend money for no benefit. 

Others may chime in about specifics but higher end gloves definitely will have better protection.  Once you get into the middle tier gloves seems like there are more color combos to choose from (those Warrior Alpha Pros at Pure have like 15 cool colors).  Lots of pro stocks available in the $110 range so you have even more color combos if that matters to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leif said:

My current gloves have some holes in the palms and fingers so it's time to replace them. They've survived two years since I started leaning to play. I have top of the range pads as I want the best protection I can get, and having taken slap shots to the shoulders, legs and head, I'm glad I made that choice. However, is there any reason for me to get anything but low end gloves? I have Bauer x600 gloves which seem more than good enough for my level of play. I play non checking rec hockey, so not particularly rough and physical, I play 3 - 4 hours a week and I'm 55. I can afford mid range and high end gloves, but why spend money for no benefit. 

You can always get great midrange stuff on sale for under $100 which will offer more than enough protection. They start adding plastics, etc at that point and that little extra bit of protection can make a big difference. X800, Supreme 170, QLT270, etc... If you live in Canada you can still find QR Pros on sale for $60. I always felt that the gloves with screen printed cuffs were just winter mitts with more insulation.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Leif said:

If you aren't concerned about protection to your hands from pucks or sticks, then it doesn't really matter from a protection point of view. But I'd never skimp on comfort when it comes to gloves - after all, next to your skates and the connection to the ice, your hands are the connection to your stick and you want gloves that give you a high level of comfort and mobility. Often the higher end gloves have better materials and construction for a higher level of comfort as well as protection.

Bottom line is - try on a bunch and buy the ones that feel best to you. When you know, you know. 

colins

• Like 1

I'd say go for the better protection. I once bought Mission low-mid-range gloves for the increased mobility off the shelf. It was for a recreational checking league and I ended up breaking some fingers hitting the glass. Never again.

Edited by flip12
  • Like 1

Thanks all. You convinced me to go for mid range, so I ordered some Bauer x900 gloves at a decent price. At my age I need decent protection.