Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
mjpisat

Ccm jetspeed ft1 or new ones?

I have been skating in FT1 for over a year. I have a narrow heel with wide forefoot. The fit has been perfect for me. I did switch out the CCM footbed for Superfeet as I have been using SF for years. I'm just curious if those guys using FT1 are still using the stock retail CCM footbed. I think the footbed will ultimately play into the fit and comfort of any skate.

1 hour ago, DarkStar50 said:

I have been skating in FT1 for over a year. I have a narrow heel with wide forefoot. The fit has been perfect for me. I did switch out the CCM footbed for Superfeet as I have been using SF for years. I'm just curious if those guys using FT1 are still using the stock retail CCM footbed. I think the footbed will ultimately play into the fit and comfort of any skate.

I personally use a Bauer Speed Plate in all of my skates. I love them. 

4 hours ago, Fordyoz said:

Bump for more input and response from nicholas g regarding ft1 vs ft490.

I recently bought ft1's (after about 20 years of grafs).  I need to have them profiled to put me more on my toes, but the right foot feels amazing.  Super light and just about as perfect of a fit as i could want.  The left side (my bigger foot) needs more room all around.  Might need to go custom unless the ft490 heel pocket has a little more room to let my foot settle in more.  

The FT490 has slightly more room in the heel and ankle than the FT2 since there is less padding, I feel like the FT490 fits more like a Super Tack AS1 in the heel. Overall, the FT2 is slightly more snug. However. neither are as snug as the FT1. If anything, I think the fit of the FT1 is ideal for a players foot like mine and no other retail skate fits like it, including the Vapor. The only way for me to get the same level of fit is with TRUE. 

8 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

I personally use a Bauer Speed Plate in all of my skates. I love them. 

Can you compare them to SF? I've been in the SF for probably... over 10 years? or about ten years give or take. I like the idea of molding an insole to ones foot but I also think that if it molded to people with flatter feet, it wouldn't quite provide the support needed?

At $50 it's sort of a pricey experiment for me right now.

Would you guys say the FT1/FT2 fits close to/similar to the old Easton S17 skates? Those were my favorite skates and just haven't been able to find anything with a similar fit really.

The 70K's are pretty close but was wanting something a little stiffer. My problem always has been depth thru the middle of the boot. I can't wear any Bauer skates except the Nexus line but the heels are too wide.

Oddly, I tried on the FT390's in a 6.5 EE (didn't have the FT1's in my size) at Hockey Monkey and I was able to pass the pencil test (barely) and felt pretty good (I've heard the FT390 fit like the old Jetspeed 300 and are different from the FT1s).

Trying to see if I should try to track down the FT1's as they seemed to have a narrower heel in an EE and see if there is enough depth or wait for the FT2's/FT490 or even the FT480s. 

Do you guys know if the depth is different in the FT2's to the FT1's or they stayed the same? Also, if there is a depth difference between the FT1's to the FT390's?

3 hours ago, Asian Tomatoe said:

Would you guys say the FT1/FT2 fits close to/similar to the old Easton S17 skates? Those were my favorite skates and just haven't been able to find anything with a similar fit really.

The 70K's are pretty close but was wanting something a little stiffer. My problem always has been depth thru the middle of the boot. I can't wear any Bauer skates except the Nexus line but the heels are too wide.

Oddly, I tried on the FT390's in a 6.5 EE (didn't have the FT1's in my size) at Hockey Monkey and I was able to pass the pencil test (barely) and felt pretty good (I've heard the FT390 fit like the old Jetspeed 300 and are different from the FT1s).

Trying to see if I should try to track down the FT1's as they seemed to have a narrower heel in an EE and see if there is enough depth or wait for the FT2's/FT490 or even the FT480s. 

Do you guys know if the depth is different in the FT2's to the FT1's or they stayed the same? Also, if there is a depth difference between the FT1's to the FT390's?

Yeah, I'd like to know the depth situation with the FT2 and FT490s too. The heel being wider, especially on the FT490, is such a bummer.

The FT380 fit completely differently than the FT1. My foot swam in the FT380 and the heel was not even close to snug after a bake and a few skates. I had no depth issue at all. The FT1, on the other hand, fit kind of awkwardly. It had good heel lock, but lacked so much depth I failed the pencil test badly. CCM makes good skates now and offer so much more tech than Bauer, but they really really need to work on fit consistency.

It sounds like you have my foot - you need a a fair amount of instep/volume, but a tight heel and maybe just average or below average forefoot? Try on the current generation Supremes, especially the 2S and S29. I can almost guarantee that you'll love them the moment you try them on. Too bad their $600 super stiff skate still doesn't even have basic comfort padding on the top of the boot, so you may experience having the collar dig into your foot like it does to me on my left foot.

Edited by BlueNux

11 hours ago, z1ggy said:

Can you compare them to SF? I've been in the SF for probably... over 10 years? or about ten years give or take. I like the idea of molding an insole to ones foot but I also think that if it molded to people with flatter feet, it wouldn't quite provide the support needed?

I absolutely hate SF. Sorry. 

16 hours ago, z1ggy said:

Doesn't bother me lol.

What about them don't you like? 

They hurt my feet. Aren't grippy, so my feet slide, and don't really find they do much of anything for me that's beneficial. I like them in my shoes but not in skates. 

Do you still feel they support your arches a bit though? Do you suffer at all from any kind of flat feet or over pronation?

Only reason  I use the SF is because they say it helps correct mild over pronation issues to get feet better aligned (which I suffer from). I like the idea of the insole being a little grippy, I do find my right foot slides around just a bit.

1 hour ago, z1ggy said:

Do you still feel they support your arches a bit though? Do you suffer at all from any kind of flat feet or over pronation?

Only reason  I use the SF is because they say it helps correct mild over pronation issues to get feet better aligned (which I suffer from). I like the idea of the insole being a little grippy, I do find my right foot slides around just a bit.

For me the arch support in them actually hurts. I have very high arches so maybe that's the issue. I experimented with different sized SF but all of them hurt at the front of the area he, just behind the ball of my foot. Other than high are he's my feet are pretty standard. I'm between a 7.5D and a 7.5EE in most skates, an actual 7.5E fits perfect! 

On 4/3/2019 at 12:49 PM, z1ggy said:

I tried SF, hated them. They raised my feet up, reducing skate volume leading to lace bite. And they have a fixed curve, which was not a good fit for my arches. I then tried Speed Plates which I love. I went through two pairs of the originals, which crack after six months or so. The current ones seem much more durable, and they have slight padding too so they don’t feel so hard. Oh, and I have fairly high arches. 

Edited by Leif

I personally don't like the superfeet bc it messes with how the heel pocket feels, especially for my right foot for some reason. 

As for the the poster who talked about hot spotd where the toe cap meets the quarter, I think it has to do with the rivet system that attaches the toe cap to the quarter.  My left is about almost 1/2 size bigger than my right and it def had a hot spot there. What I ended up doing was lining it with about 1mm Eva foam with solved the issue but I hope with the ft2 CCM has it better lined. The stock lining around that area is pretty sub par. 

That's me with the toe cap thing. Baking a second time helped a little bit because my heel might have sat in a little deeper into the pocket but now I'm getting a blister on my right arch area that I didn't get the first time out. May try the aftermarket CCM footbeds I got in my game tomorrow after I walk around in them a little bit tonight. Otherwise if those don't feel good then Speedplate may be in my future.

Or Trues. lol

8 hours ago, z1ggy said:

That's me with the toe cap thing. Baking a second time helped a little bit because my heel might have sat in a little deeper into the pocket but now I'm getting a blister on my right arch area that I didn't get the first time out. May try the aftermarket CCM footbeds I got in my game tomorrow after I walk around in them a little bit tonight. Otherwise if those don't feel good then Speedplate may be in my future.

Or Trues. lol

The aftermarket CCM footbeds aren't good imo. I'm another advocate of the speedplates. Wore them in my trues as well. I prefer the first gen ones over the SP 2.0 as the latter isn't as stiff and gives a bit. I bought a couple on clearance from sportchek just bc I like them so much. 

8 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

The aftermarket CCM footbeds aren't good imo. I'm another advocate of the speedplates. Wore them in my trues as well. I prefer the first gen ones over the SP 2.0 as the latter isn't as stiff and gives a bit. I bought a couple on clearance from sportchek just bc I like them so much. 

Do you mean the ones that come with the FT1? I have the orange "medium" ones.... not the Orthomove ones.

I've also heard the original speedplates crack a bit after a few months? Not sure if that's the norm or not... I tend to take negative reviews online with a grain of salt.

1 hour ago, z1ggy said:

I've also heard the original speedplates crack a bit after a few months? Not sure if that's the norm or not... I tend to take negative reviews online with a grain of salt.

Yeah, my original ones broke in less than a season, however I hear the 2nd version is much better.

6 minutes ago, Giltis said:

Yeah, my original ones broke in less than a season, however I hear the 2nd version is much better.

That's what I've heard, too... but I do tend to prefer a firmer feel to my insole as well. If SP2.0 is softer I may not like it. I've felt them in person and they felt fairly rigid, so I may give them a shot. I'll see after tonight if my SF still give me issues.

9 hours ago, z1ggy said:

Do you mean the ones that come with the FT1? I have the orange "medium" ones.... not the Orthomove ones.

Sorry orthomoves are what I don't like. 

As for the first gen SP, the ones I have had not cracked and I've had them for a few mths and have rebaked them at least five times due to swapping out skates etc. I heard they improved the durability after the initial roll out revealed issues with premature cracking. 

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

Sorry orthomoves are what I don't like. 

As for the first gen SP, the ones I have had not cracked and I've had them for a few mths and have rebaked them at least five times due to swapping out skates etc. I heard they improved the durability after the initial roll out revealed issues with premature cracking. 

I also have never the had Gen 1 or Gen 2 fail. I think the Gen 2 is more comfortable but I do like how firm and responsive the Gen 1 SP feel. 

How much should I expect the FT1’s to give in length after baking? I just received my pair in a usual 8 D like I wore in every other Bauer for the last decade and they’re extremely tight to the point where I’m contemplating going up half a size. 

1 hour ago, jdvn said:

How much should I expect the FT1’s to give in length after baking? I just received my pair in a usual 8 D like I wore in every other Bauer for the last decade and they’re extremely tight to the point where I’m contemplating going up half a size. 

Tight or short?  Length wise maybe a bit as your heel might suck.into the pocket more. If you're using stock insoles I'd highly recommend something with an arch support. If your arches are supported it'll draw ur toes back a bit, maybe just enough for you not to have issued. 

If it's width issues that can be altered by baking as well. But you should've tried the ee. I wear D's in Bauer and the as1 but when I tried the ft1 even the ee were too narrow for me. 

Length wise is the issue for me. Sorry, I should have been more specific. The for is great everywhere but the toe box. That is where things start to get tight. 

10 hours ago, jdvn said:

Length wise is the issue for me. Sorry, I should have been more specific. The for is great everywhere but the toe box. That is where things start to get tight. 

Toe box won't really alter from baking. Only thing you can hope for is that your heel sits further back from the bake and pulls your foot back creating more room in the toe cap and also from insoles like I mentioned above. 

Where did you purchase your skates? Is it covered by ccms 90 day guarantee? This guarantee seems to still be valid on sites that are still listing the skates at regular price like hockey monkey. 

12 hours ago, jdvn said:

I find the jet speed fit about 0.5 sizes smaller than others. For example, I wear a 7EE in Vapor and a 7.5 EE in jet speed.