Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
shoot_the_goalie

Widening a helmet being compressed by a visor

Have a CCM V08 I wear with a visor when coaching/sticktime, etc.  The helmet fits fine without the visor, but once I put the visor on, the visor compresses the sides, squeezing my temples, which after time gets uncomfortable.  I use a classic Bauer RBE I shield.  Any methods of fixing this or if there's a wider visor option out there?  I toyed around with the idea of shaving or removing some of the padding, but would prefer not to if there's a better way...

45 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

It’s all plastic and padding. Have you tried squeezing it front to back to stretch it out before you put it on? It should stretch out over time

I do, and that works temporarily.  But after a few mins, it kinda goes back to shape and the pressure returns.

I find visors for the most part do the opposite and pull the sides out. But the old rbe probably is more narrow and is thicker than the more expensive visors so that may be why. I'd caution this , but you could try a heat gun and slowly widen the visor ?

Or An alternative is to trim the padding around the temples?

Edited by Sniper9

The padding is there for a reason. I had the same issue with a cage, and I managed to stretch the cage with my hands and reduce the pressure. Can you find out what the visor is made from, and then research it’s thermomechanical properties? It may be that a few minutes in a warm convention oven will soften it enough to allow manual deformation. But it could equally ruin it, or make it hazy, hence the need to research the plastic. 

• Like 1

Toss the helmet in a skate oven, or a home convection oven, for about 2 minutes and then toss it on and it should stretch out nicely. Keep a watchful eye on it though when it's baking as some foams dont tolerate high heat very well. Not sure if the V08 you have is all VN foam or not. 

It's all VN foam.  It's not the helmet though that's the problem.  The helmet fits fine....it's the visor, when screwed on, that compresses the sides of the helmet.  Currently, I put a spreader in the helmet at the temples (with the visor attached) in hopes that maybe the visor will spread wider and/or the VN foam will compress at the temple areas.  Gonna leave it in there for a few days to see what it does.  Thanks all for the advice.