Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Oilers97

How to know if your helmet needs to be replaced? I landed on it.

I posted this to Reddit and was wanting some more opinions before I use it again:

Hi there. 

So I have a Warrior PX+ probably about a year and a half old. I was skating on the ODR (yeah I know I wear a helmet playing outside). I was skating hard backwards and hit a rut and landed on it and it bounced off the ice, popped off and the visor I had came Unclipped. I was fine and the helmet looks fine but I’ve been hearing if it’s gets hit hard (it popped right off I hit so hard) I should toss it. 

I looked at it all over and there isn’t any damage that I can see. Most of the padding is glued on and I don’t want to rip it off. 

Is there a way to tell or is it only if it’s obvious damage? Should I get it looked at at my LHS? I have 2 other helmets I don’t like as much. Thanks. 

Should still be fine. A helmet's primary function is to prevent skull fractures, as they do not guarantee anything in regards to concussions. So if the structure is fine, the helmet is probably still protective, but if you're worried enough change it.

I'm not an expert on helmets post collision, or a Reddit doctor either. I'd just recommend hearing the best advice on here before r/dr.internet says buy a new dome.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, nutters said:

Should still be fine. A helmet's primary function is to prevent skull fractures, as they do not guarantee anything in regards to concussions. So if the structure is fine, the helmet is probably still protective, but if you're worried enough change it.

I'm not an expert on helmets post collision, or a Reddit doctor either. I'd just recommend hearing the best advice on here before r/dr.internet says buy a new dome.

Okay. It’s more I was worried about the EPP foam under the VN foam. I don’t want to rip it off too look obviously. It seems ok but I hit so hard the visor popped off the clips so that’s my concern it was t just a stick or even a puck. But I may take it to my lhs to see if they think it’s ok

My only concern is whether the helmet is the right fit for you.  I've taken a few similar impacts like yours and my helmet has never popped off.  The Bauer pro clip visor on the other hand has so I just switched to the pro visor and don't worry about that happening anymore.

7 hours ago, mojo122 said:

My only concern is whether the helmet is the right fit for you.  I've taken a few similar impacts like yours and my helmet has never popped off.  The Bauer pro clip visor on the other hand has so I just switched to the pro visor and don't worry about that happening anymore.

I thought it was extremely odd. It fits great. I never get pressure headaches like my IMS9.0 in it. I’ve been hit hard more than once in it and it’s never popped off or fallen off. It was extremely weird. Strap and all boom it was off. It was not on loose. I always put it  on the large mode then tighten it down.