Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Is this holder mounted properly?

2 hours ago, Larry54 said:

Wouldn't it be off by 4.5mm since the rear tower should be 4.5mm more toward the rear and the front tower 4.5mm toward the front to have the 9mm longer holder centered fore and aft?

If you measure from the center. If both holders use the same rear mounts, wouldnt one be longer by the full amount, no?

4.5mm is less than 3/16ths of an inch, not sure someone would feel that. 

9 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

I'll have him snag a photo and email me it. When I get it I'll post it. 

Pics. Looks like they didn't drill any new holes in the rear and either made the holes in the forefoot larger or drilled new holes. 

KXa0Si5.jpg

iBUg0DU.jpg

Edited by Nicholas G

On 3/31/2019 at 11:19 PM, Nicholas G said:

Pics. Looks like they didn't drill any new holes in the rear and either made the holes in the forefoot larger or drilled new holes. 

KXa0Si5.jpg

iBUg0DU.jpg

Confirmed what I had originally thought. That is lazy.

16 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Confirmed what I had originally thought. That is lazy.

Makes me wonder though if a player actually feel that slight off mounting? I was poking around online and found some other Pro Stock skates with oversized holders. To be honest, they also look like they are mounted very far forward as well. One of them was a pair of 280 holders on a 7.5 skate, for example. 

24 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Makes me wonder though if a player actually feel that slight off mounting? I was poking around online and found some other Pro Stock skates with oversized holders. To be honest, they also look like they are mounted very far forward as well. One of them was a pair of 280 holders on a 7.5 skate, for example. 

If you think about it, the full 9 mm difference is pushed forward. 9mm is half an inch-ish. Think of the difference between the feel of goal skates and player skates.  It is a totally different feel on ice. 

4.5 mm each way forward and aft gets into the “hardly feeling it” territory. 

280mm is a LOT of runner on a small skate like a size 7.5, getting into goalie skate territory. But my untrained mind would say that 280 gives one more to play with as far as getting blades profiled. But then again- we’re talking pro stock and mainly pro return at that- could be an experiment that failed for the skater in question. 

5 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Yes, they do.  The pivot point of the steel is also 9mm forward.  

In the case of 2 sizes up, you need to profile to the boot, not the steel to get the desired effect.  

I think I’m experiencing the same problem. I have 6.5 FT1’s and sent my skates to a shop to put Tuuk Edge holders (263) on them. I received them and the mount on the left skate seems to be a bit further towards to the toe compared to the right skate. They’re not even, it seems a couple mm’s off. Am I going to notice a difference? It just throws me off, haha. 

I noticed on the right skate (heel), there is 6 new holes drilled, but on the left skate (heel), there is only 1 new hole drilled that I can see. I need to put up some pics, damn.

I’m not sure how to post pics? Sorry!

Edited by Shogun
Added more

47 minutes ago, Shogun said:

I think I’m experiencing the same problem. I have 6.5 FT1’s and sent my skates to a shop to put Tuuk Edge holders (263) on them. I received them and the mount on the left skate seems to be a bit further towards to the toe compared to the right skate. They’re not even, it seems a couple mm’s off. Am I going to notice a difference? It just throws me off, haha. 

I noticed on the right skate (heel), there is 6 new holes drilled, but on the left skate (heel), there is only 1 new hole drilled that I can see. I need to put up some pics, damn.

I’m not sure how to post pics? Sorry!

You can upload the pics to https://imgbb.com/ and just share the link .

https://ibb.co/4tWz4v2

I’m not sure if that’s what you meant, but they do look off to me. They’re not flush. Left skate mount is towards the toe more than the right. The right skate looks like it’s good, but the left skate bugs me, haha. It’s not even/flush with the right skate. Will I notice a difference when I skate? Buddy said if I don’t like it, he will fix it, but then he would need to drill more holes in the left skate? Right skate is good to me. 

1 hour ago, Shogun said:

https://ibb.co/4tWz4v2

I’m not sure if that’s what you meant, but they do look off to me. They’re not flush. Left skate mount is towards the toe more than the right. The right skate looks like it’s good, but the left skate bugs me, haha. It’s not even/flush with the right skate. Will I notice a difference when I skate? Buddy said if I don’t like it, he will fix it, but then he would need to drill more holes in the left skate? Right skate is good to me. 

Did u ask why one skate had new holes drilled while the other didn't?

8 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Did u ask why one skate had new holes drilled while the other didn't?

Yes, I asked him. His reply was, “my team (his coworkers) would have mounted them in the same position. I know the left skate is mounted further from the heel than the right skate. Will it make a difference? It’s bugging the crap out of me. Haha

Did they mount them without steel in them?  Someone else can correct me if I am wrong but I always thought you were suppose to mount holders with steel in them to help prevent the holder from twisting. 

4 hours ago, strosedefence34 said:

Did they mount them without steel in them?  Someone else can correct me if I am wrong but I always thought you were suppose to mount holders with steel in them to help prevent the holder from twisting. 

Yes, he mounted them with no steel. He asked if I wanted to buy steel, but I said no (already had some). 

The left holder is definitely further from the heel than the right holder is. I wonder if I’ll notice a difference? The thing is I won’t be on the ice for 2-3 weeks from now 😞

Edited by Shogun

Then you should show him your skates bc they aren't in the same position. Especially when u can see extra holes were drilled in one and not the other. 

Want sucks is I don't think there's much u can do at this point. Maybe epoxy the holes and re drill new holes altogether. But not sure how well it'll hold since the holes are all so close together ... And the carbon insole is also pretty beat up...

Not sure if you will notice it on the ice but just looking at the left skates rivets I don't think those will hold up very long either. 

Edited by Sniper9

I had to ship my skates to him. There’s no shop where I live (a shop I can trust), but his shop might not be any better, ahaha. I sent him a pic and he told em to see how they feel on the ice, but we won’t get ice here for 2-3 weeks. I don’t think he understands what I’m trying to say. I told him that the left holder is mounted further away from the heel than the right holder is. He said again to try them out on the ice. I guess I’ll have to wait for some ice. It just really bugs me and I’m very concerned that I’ll notice a difference. Then I’ll have to ship them back to him and which will cost me more cash and he’ll ship them back, which I imagine will cost me more cash, haha. 

How come you don’t think the rivets on the left skate will hold up?

Figured this thread was recent enough to ask a holder alignment question on here. I have a pair of pro stock Bauer’s in question. Felt like sharpenings were off (steel was also bent), but have now noticed after never feeling right in Left skate, that holder seems to be misaligned. Is it just me? If not, is this correctable or would the holes be too tight to remount etc. 

Blade/Holder photos

1 hour ago, MCornell said:

Figured this thread was recent enough to ask a holder alignment question on here. I have a pair of pro stock Bauer’s in question. Felt like sharpenings were off (steel was also bent), but have now noticed after never feeling right in Left skate, that holder seems to be misaligned. Is it just me? If not, is this correctable or would the holes be too tight to remount etc. 

Blade/Holder photos

It looks like they mounted it specifically for the player who might have pronated or supinated...  Can you take picture looking straight down with the whole skate and holder in the picture. 

• Like 1