Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Ghostender

How Much is Too Much (Warm Up)

Hi all:

I play in net for two fairly different groups: one is decent caliber and fairly consistent skill set, the other tends to be a broad spectrum with dangle-kings at one end and tripods at the other (these are both shinny type sessions).

For the former we tend to have about a 5 -10 minute warmup, while the latter it can be up to 15 minutes. I stop pucks for the entire warmup, regardless of how long it is, which got me thinking – do you have an ideal warmup duration? I know some here in league play only have a few minutes for warmup, so I am wondering, if you had your ideal warmup time, how long would it be?  Also if you had in excess of your ideal time, would you stay in, go and stretch or work on stuff in the corner or just BS with the guys at the bench? My current thinking is I am spending too much time in the actual warmup when it stretches out beyond about 10 minutes.

Interested to hear our opinions and reasoning,

Thx

A

Edited by Ghostender

Ours is 5 minutes. I stretch for about 2 minutes, stop pucks for about 1 minute, stretch for another 1-2 and if there's time left I may stop a couple more. If the players were more skilled so I could ask them to hit me with certain shots (give me a couple glove side, a couple blocker side, etc) it may be different but at this skill level I just take enough to where I feel comfortable and feel like I can track the puck and then I'm out (or I bail after the first shot that goes past my ear, whichever comes first). 

I can't even imagine 15 minutes in ANY division. 

15 minutes is an eternity as far as warm up. Not from the standpoint of being too long, but just from the standpoint that usually warmups are five minutes max. 

I have found that getting in the reps is what I needed as far as tracking the puck, i.e. glove, blocker, right and left pads as well as the body shots. 

On 4/2/2019 at 3:57 PM, Ghostender said:

Hi all:

I play in net for two fairly different groups: one is decent caliber and fairly consistent skill set, the other tends to be a broad spectrum with dangle-kings at one end and tripods at the other (these are both shinny type sessions).

For the former we tend to have about a 5 -10 minute warmup, while the latter it can be up to 15 minutes. I stop pucks for the entire warmup, regardless of how long it is, which got me thinking – do you have an ideal warmup duration? I know some here in league play only have a few minutes for warmup, so I am wondering, if you had your ideal warmup time, how long would it be?  Also if you had in excess of your ideal time, would you stay in, go and stretch or work on stuff in the corner or just BS with the guys at the bench? My current thinking is I am spending too much time in the actual warmup when it stretches out beyond about 10 minutes.

Interested to hear our opinions and reasoning,

Thx

A

Hi. I used to goal tend. Now, I just play out the last couple of years.

The warm up is as much for you as it is for the players. If you feel adequately warmed out, just skate out of the net and hang out at the bench or something. Let players get in more shots on an empty net if they want. Or if you aren't warmed up enough, just take on as many shots as you want.

• Like 2