Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

CCM JetSpeed FT2 vs JetSpeed FT1 Hockey Skates Comparison Review

One poster on reddit yesterday commented to me that FT2 didn't feel much wider but rather "deeper" feeling in the rear. Would you say maybe it's more rounded  in the actual heel down low, as in they changed the physical shape of the pocket?

If I found the heel a little too big, would 3D fit solve that? I seem to have a really narrow heel and E forefoot like you and find that Vapors in D are way too narrow but EE is too wide. AS1's in D fit my forefoot well but are sloppy everywhere else. The FT1 in D fits me pretty darn well but is just a little tight in the forefoot area but with playing and baking has eased up a little bit. Never tried EE but I'm guessing the same general thing would happen where I'd get some little bit of a sloppy fit in the middle foot and volume would be a little much.

Overall, sounds like a worthwhile upgrade though if it fits right.

Do you find a significant difference in stiffness between the FT1/FT2 and the AS1?

And in the comfort of the comfortedge pad/height of the boot?

Also, are they sized the same (8.5 in an FT2 = same length as an AS1)?

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Mlxg said:

Do you find a significant difference in stiffness between the FT1/FT2 and the AS1?

And in the comfort of the comfortedge pad/height of the boot?

Also, are they sized the same (8.5 in an FT2 = same length as an AS1)?

Thanks!

FT2 is slightly stiffer than then FT1, and I really do emphasizes slightly. Barely noticeable. The AS1 is MUCH stiffer than the Ft1 and FT2. 

Ill measure the boot height. I think the FT2 is maybe 1-2mm taller in the height but that could specifically be due to the comfort edge. 

I find the sizing, length, the same. A size 7.5 in an FT2 is the same as an AS1. Obviously, the width is different so in an AS1 In wear a 7.5D and in the FT2 I wear a 7.5EE. 

12 hours ago, z1ggy said:

One poster on reddit yesterday commented to me that FT2 didn't feel much wider but rather "deeper" feeling in the rear. Would you say maybe it's more rounded  in the actual heel down low, as in they changed the physical shape of the pocket?

If I found the heel a little too big, would 3D fit solve that? I seem to have a really narrow heel and E forefoot like you and find that Vapors in D are way too narrow but EE is too wide. AS1's in D fit my forefoot well but are sloppy everywhere else. The FT1 in D fits me pretty darn well but is just a little tight in the forefoot area but with playing and baking has eased up a little bit. Never tried EE but I'm guessing the same general thing would happen where I'd get some little bit of a sloppy fit in the middle foot and volume would be a little much.

Overall, sounds like a worthwhile upgrade though if it fits right.

I feel like the heel pocket is more pronounced. Not wider. They just made the entire pocket larger to accommodate more volume while still keeping it very snug in the upper heel and achilles section. If you go with 3D scanning then it really doesn't matter what skate you pick as they will size it appropriately, as per CCM. I think its more important to find the skate that provides you with the ideal skating stance and stiffness for your skating profile more than anything. They cant make an AS1 less stiff and you can't get the FT2 in a stiffer version. 

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

FT2 is slightly stiffer than then FT1, and I really do emphasizes slightly. Barely noticeable. The AS1 is MUCH stiffer than the Ft1 and FT2. 

Ill measure the boot height. I think the FT2 is maybe 1-2mm taller in the height but that could specifically be due to the comfort edge. 

I find the sizing, length, the same. A size 7.5 in an FT2 is the same as an AS1. Obviously, the width is different so in an AS1 In wear a 7.5D and in the FT2 I wear a 7.5EE. 

Thanks! Do you find the FT2 maybe even not stiff enough, that you would get extra stiff as an option? Or does it allow a perfect amount of flex for you?

For reference, I'm 155lbs, fairly strong skater (I'm... uh bottom heavy) though but the AS1s have felt ... ski-booty, but I've only had them a week so I presume I have to break them in a bit 😛

Edited by Mlxg

I'm also not a fan of the stiff lace bite piece inside the tongue.

How easy is it to remove the lace-bite protector plastic insider the tongue? Can you make two incisions at the top like this, /\,  pull out the insert and glue/sew the fabric back down??

Debating wether to remove it or just let it break down with more use at the area where my ankle flexes. 

12 hours ago, endomaniac said:

I'm also not a fan of the stiff lace bite piece inside the tongue.

How easy is it to remove the lace-bite protector plastic insider the tongue? Can you make two incisions at the top like this, /\,  pull out the insert and glue/sew the fabric back down??

Debating wether to remove it or just let it break down with more use at the area where my ankle flexes. 

If you use a seam stitch remover it's very easy to take out. Should take you less than a few minutes per each skate. Then use some goof off to remove the leftover adhesive that will be on the tongue to make it look clean. 

• Thanks 1

@Nicholas G You talked a lot about the thicker ankle foam padding in the FT2 and how it contributes to added comfiness compared to FT1. Do you know if the FT490 also has the same added foam padding and feel?

I've also heard that it hurt a lot for wearers of FT1 whenever the puck hit the skates. Do you think the added cushioning wrap around enough of the interior of the FT2/FT490 to remedy this issue?

1 hour ago, BlueNux said:

@Nicholas G You talked a lot about the thicker ankle foam padding in the FT2 and how it contributes to added comfiness compared to FT1. Do you know if the FT490 also has the same added foam padding and feel?

I've also heard that it hurt a lot for wearers of FT1 whenever the puck hit the skates. Do you think the added cushioning wrap around enough of the interior of the FT2/FT490 to remedy this issue?

The FT490 has less foam inside and if anything is almost an identical replica of the FT1  in many ways. There are only a few very small changes overall. 

As for the protection aspect. I never took a shot in the FT1 skate that hurt my foot so maybe I have feet of stone 😉 .  I do get shot often though, not on purpose, I just tend to get my body int he way of the shooter and the goalie and the shooters tend to shoot my feet many times.

That being said, I think the FT2 will provide much more protection overall than the FT1 and the FT490. The composite seems thicker and the choice in materials seem more robust. 

Edited by Nicholas G

Just tried FT2's on yesterday. I can agree with NickG, the padding is thicker, the boot feels a little stiffer and it is more comfortable. The heel pocket isn't wider it just felt more round down where the base of the heel is vs FT1 is maybe a bit more 'sharp' angled going to that area, and then like he says... it sort of gets "thicker" feeling around the Achilles and actual ankle area. More of a snug fit going upwards. 

Right away they are more comfortable than FT1. FT1 killed my feet before a baking, and these did not. I wonder if they made the boot like... 1-2mm wider or something because it was somewhat noticeable. Overall though if you blind tested me I'd be pretty hard pressed to tell a difference between the two. 

And as far as taking shots off them, I've gotten hit a few times and it's been very tolerable. Much better.... MUUUUCH better than my Mako's. I think FT2's will be a worthy upgrade and I plan to get them, probably in the fall (I usually take the summer off to let body rest a bit). 

Still considering True's though. I do miss that "glove" like Mako feel around the toe box and forefoot area.

It would be nice if someone can do an actual weight comparison between True and CCM FT1, FT2...

In my opinion, True skates feels heavier than any other top-of-the-line skates on the market... My kid's size 7 FT1 with Massive Blades, Speedplate 2 and waxed laces were 826g. His same pair of FT1, now with Marsblade, waxed laces and Speedplate 2 are 936g, but still feels lighter than comparable size True skates but I have no actual data to back it up...

I held a pair of FT2's and they're definitely heavier than FT1's, likely due to the new holder and the screw that holds the blade in place.

13 minutes ago, Coldclay said:

It would be nice if someone can do an actual weight comparison between True and CCM FT1, FT2...

In my opinion, True skates feels heavier than any other top-of-the-line skates on the market... My kid's size 7 FT1 with Massive Blades, Speedplate 2 and waxed laces were 826g. His same pair of FT1, now with Marsblade, waxed laces and Speedplate 2 are 936g, but still feels lighter than comparable size True skates but I have no actual data to back it up...

I held a pair of FT2's and they're definitely heavier than FT1's, likely due to the new holder and the screw that holds the blade in place.

My most recent pair of TRUE skates weigh 909 grams.That's with the factory holder and steel. Brand new. Never used. The steel has been profiled though so it is obviously a few grams lighter. 

This is a size 7.5/8 with 272 holders. Standard tongue. No impact protection. Standard liner. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/s1pg4AH

In the video I weigh the FT1 and FT2 for comparison. 

Edited by Nicholas G

4 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

My most recent pair of TRUE skates weigh 909 grams.That's with the factory holder and steel. Brand new. Never used. The steel has been profiled though so it is obviously a few grams lighter. 

This is a size 7.5/8 with 272 holders. Standard tongue. No impact protection. Standard liner. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/s1pg4AH

In the video I weigh the FT1 and FT2 for comparison. 

When are you gonna mount there xs holders on the trues?