Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
z1ggy

Expensive bags worth it?

Expensive Gear Bag  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

The description on the Easton Pro says "internal pockets" but yeah likely not large skate pockets, which I agree are nice. Probably just small ones for tape, toiletry, etc.

Hockeytron has a couple very cheap clearance Tarpaulin pro style bags in black that may be of interest to you:

This Firstar for $19 (orig. $80) that has internal mesh skate pockets, but no mesh vents: https://hockeytron.com/collections/bags/products/firstar-tpb-12-hockey-equipment-bag?variant=15405896564813

This $25 Alkali (orig. $60) with no mesh vents, but I'm not sure if it has skate pockets: https://hockeytron.com/collections/bags/products/alkali-rpd-max-senior-hockey-equipment-bag

6 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Hockeytron has a couple very cheap clearance Tarpaulin pro style bags in black that may be of interest to you:

This Firstar for $19 (orig. $80) that has internal mesh skate pockets, but no mesh vents: https://hockeytron.com/collections/bags/products/firstar-tpb-12-hockey-equipment-bag?variant=15405896564813

This $25 Alkali (orig. $60) with no mesh vents, but I'm not sure if it has skate pockets: https://hockeytron.com/collections/bags/products/alkali-rpd-max-senior-hockey-equipment-bag

Just because they are made of tarpaulin doesn't mean they are great.  If the craftsmanship sucks, it doesn't matter what the bag is made of.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JoeyJ0506 said:

My Mammoth Bag (I have the First Generation IPA bag) has been worth every penny I spent on it. Not to mention, Made In America. Pretty much no-frills, but built like a tank.

I have a couple toiletry bags from @JunkyardAthletic one for tape, etc. the other for my shower stuff.

In my opinion a good skate blade cover should alleviate the need for separate skate pockets. Pretty sure that works for the majority of NHL teams.

In my past experience, the more stuff on a bag, the more likely it is to fail.

Just my humble opinion.

I agree that good skate covers should alleviate the need to separate skate pockets, but for some illogical reason I still like having the skate pockets. I put everything else in the big opening of a pro style bag, but like the slight organization of the skate pockets and a few side mesh pockets for laces and shower sandals.

With that said, you're also right about the more stuff on the bag, the more likely it is to fail. Wheel bags tend to have the bottom rub on the ground and wear out in that area. Bags with external skate pockets have seams rip or zippers fail ect.

One high quality bag with good zippers and a strong material like tarpaulin, canvas or high end nylon should last for years. I'm sure the Mammoth made in America bag is a high quality bag, but in my experience there are some overseas bags that hold up well that are much cheaper alternatives (Warrior Pro and RBK Pro are two that have held up for me, but I did have other bags over the years that had zipper and external pocket failures)

12 minutes ago, JunkyardAthletic said:

Just because they are made of tarpaulin doesn't mean they are great.  If the craftsmanship sucks, it doesn't matter what the bag is made of.

True, if they're sewn poorly and have crappy zippers it doesn't matter that they're tarpaulin. I do have an Alkali back pack bag that I bought for roller on sale, but haven't used it much since the RBK Pro carry bag is working just fine. So I can't speak to the long term durability of the Alkali bags directly, but can say that it seems like those are well built and the zippers are of high quality (based on handling it). I know other roller players who have used Alkali bags for years and are very happy with the durability (I've seen them and they've held up very well). So the Alkali for $25 may be worth considering if the lack of skate pockets aren't an issue. I have no experience with Firstar bags at all; so can't say if they're well made or not.

Edited by althoma1

7 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

True, if they're sewn poorly and have crappy zippers it doesn't matter that they're tarpaulin. I do have an Alkali back pack bag that I bought for roller on sale, but haven't used it much since the RBK Pro carry bag is working just fine. So I can't speak to the long term durability of the Alkali bags directly, but can say that it seems like those are well built and the zippers are of high quality (based on handling it). I know other roller players who have used Alkali bags for years and are very happy with the durability (I've seen them and they've held up very well). So the Alkali for $25 may be worth considering if the lack of skate pockets aren't an issue. I have no experience with Firstar bags at all; so can't say if they're well made or not.

Not sure if the Alkali bag is still made in its original factory, however, the reason that it has been so durable is the craftsmanship.  It is sewn unlike any hockey bag on the market, although, from finished product, you'd never know.

Edited by JunkyardAthletic
  • Like 1

One could hope it's old Alkali stock that was produced before Tron bought them out. There's no guarantee with that, but they look like the old Alkali bags from before the buy out. 

1 hour ago, althoma1 said:

The mesh vents... yeah not the absolute end of the world. I only drive like 20 minutes home from the rink and I immediately take all my gear out and set it on a table in my garage to dry. 

For $25 it could be worth a try, but there's no other pics and no real descriptions. To me, it looks like it just zips across lengthwise, which like the Dolomite, is kind of a bummer. My current bag actually has two zippers that run length wise near the edges, so it basically opens up like a giant flap, total access and visibility to the inside. I get a lot of pro bags just have that one horizontal zipper, but I'm starting to think I want more of that U shape zipper like the Mac Daddy bag here.

Edited by z1ggy

5 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

The mesh vents... yeah not the absolute end of the world. I only drive like 20 minutes home from the rink and I immediately take all my gear out and set it on a table in my garage to dry. 

For $25 it could be worth a try, but there's no other pics and no real descriptions. To me, it looks like it just zips across lengthwise, which like the Dolomite, is kind of a bummer. My current bag actually has two zippers that run length wise near the edges, so it basically opens up like a giant flap, total access and visibility to the inside. I get a lot of pro bags just have that one horizontal zipper, but I'm starting to think I want more of that U shape zipper. 

My old bag had the U Shape opening (but did get holes in the bottom of the external end skate pockets after about 4 years) and it was a little easier getting things in and out, but it's not a huge difference. The Alkali looks like a great deal at $25, but you'd have to make sure you had good skate guards and would probably have to use toiletry bags for other accessories as Joey suggested.

Verbero made a Tarpaulin bag with a zipper that goes around the top, has mesh vents, skate pockets and side and top storage pockets. I have no experience with the bag so can't say how well it's made, but Tron bough Verbero last year and has been clearing out old inventory. Right now it's full price at $79 on the Tron site and $99 on the Verbero site, but if you keep your eye on both the Verbero and Tron sites (and maybe sign up for their electronic mailing lists): you'll probably be able to grab it for less than $50 if you're patient: https://hockeytron.com/collections/bags/products/verbero-hockey-equipment-bag

5 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

My old bag had the U Shape opening (but did get holes in the bottom of the external end skate pockets after about 4 years) and it was a little easier getting things in and out, but it's not a huge difference. The Alkali looks like a great deal at $25, but you'd have to make sure you had good skate guards and would probably have to use toiletry bags for other accessories as Joey suggested.

Verbero made a Tarpaulin bag with a zipper that goes around the top, has mesh vents, skate pockets and side and top storage pockets. I have no experience with the bag so can't say how well it's made, but Tron bough Verbero last year and has been clearing out old inventory. Right now it's full price at $79 on the Tron site and $99 on the Verbero site, but if you keep your eye on both the Verbero and Tron sites (and maybe sign up for their electronic mailing lists): you'll probably be able to grab it for less than $50 if you're patient: https://hockeytron.com/collections/bags/products/verbero-hockey-equipment-bag

That looks ssssuuuuppperr nice. I am interested. 

Ha, looks like I already sub to Tron's email list. Probably all gets filtered into spam. 

Edited by z1ggy
  • Like 1

I was really interested in a Mammoth or Pacific Rink bag when I saw one pop up on Sideline swap probably minutes after it was posted.  I put in an offer of $100 and luckily the seller accepted.  That was about 8 months ago.  It's in pretty much exactly the same shape that it was when I got it, like new.  I can't say for sure, but it sure seems like it's going to last a LONG time.  The zippers are fantastic and everything else on the fit and finish is great.  Looking at how it was designed and put together, I don't see weird design flaws that will end up ripping out after a year or two of use/abuse.  I'm the same way with my gear, I'm gonna spend $$$ and get something good.  That said up until now, bags were pretty much disposable for me.  I do really enjoy the pockets.  The middle divider doesn't work for me.  I have to put my gear in the same way or I end up forgetting stuff (elbows inside of shins, inside of pants. shoulders at the bottom.  Gloves and helmet at the top of the pants).  

Always preferred U-shaped openings, so I considered the Warrior Q10 and the Warrior Q20 more heavily over the Warrior Pro carry bags.  Not too expensive but loads of organization features.

Over 25 years, I went through 2 old-school bags with the triangular skate pockets on the outside similar to this Hespeler, about $40 CDN per bag IIRC.   No one seems to make this style anymore except for maybe Tackla, so I got the Bauer Vapor Pro carry bag this past season for $66 CDN.

WRT to the original question, for someone value-conscious (e.g., cheap) like myself, likely not worth paying a premium, but to each their own.

6 hours ago, z1ggy said:

Do you find the more pricey bags such as Conway and Banks which provide a lot of features such as a foot mat, mesh ports for air flow, dividers in the bag for partitioning gear, etc to be worth it? My current bag is pretty much falling apart now after 15 years of use and I'm looking to upgrade. I see a lot of decent looking bags out there for $50-$60 and wonder if the expensive bags are worth it. Other than skates & gloves, I tend to keep anything until it literally falls apart, so I'm much more concerned about durability, practicality and features such as small pockets to put tape in and so on, rather than price. I'm 100% willing to pay double or triple the price for something that lasts me many years and is quality, as opposed to cheaply made garbage I'll be replacing in 3-4 years.

Let's hear your experiences below.

I own a  Conway and Banks bag and absolutely love it. Previously I had a Grit AirBox which was also nice but it did not wear very well. I think the  Conway and Banks bags are well worth their price for the quality of the product. We sell them in our store and all of the customers who have bought them have been very happy. 

To me I love my pacific rink bag. Had 2 warrior pro bags before and they were good, but the pacific rink is another level. The best feature for me is I can carry it as a backpack when I get home to easily maneuver the tight dimensions of my garage depth and basement stairs. It’s also easier to organize my gear also. 

Got one on a Black Friday deal and another gently used from a member on here 

Edited by Stewie

6 hours ago, z1ggy said:

Thanks very much for this find. Hoping maybe another retailer has black or blue... HM only has silver, not preferred...haha. Reminds me of aluminum foil or something.

I never would have thought about it if someone else handnt pointed it out, but light colored bags are better for finding stuff. Black and navy bag interiors are great at hiding stray socks and jocks. I’ll never buy a bag with a dark interior again.

That being said, that silver Easton bag is...noticeable. If you ever get a flat tire on the way home, you can definitely put that out and people will see you in the dark. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Forgive my ignorance, but please tell me the Conway & Banks stuff is named after the Mighty Ducks characters!?

I believe it is, yes.

Boy I am conflicted! So many good stories and anecdote here (as usual), I'm torn. I really wish I could "try one out" for a month or something like CCM lets you do with their 90 day guarantee. I have no idea how much my current bag cost all those years ago, so I have nothing to judge value on. All I know is that it's an 'iTech' brand bag and I'm pretty sure it's canvas, but the inside has this weird liner that's now totally coming apart. Zippers are also getting jacked but I really like how it opens on top.

Here is the same bag as I have, just in red/blue

20 hours ago, z1ggy said:

Do you find the more pricey bags such as Conway and Banks which provide a lot of features such as a foot mat, mesh ports for air flow, dividers in the bag for partitioning gear, etc to be worth it? My current bag is pretty much falling apart now after 15 years of use and I'm looking to upgrade. I see a lot of decent looking bags out there for $50-$60 and wonder if the expensive bags are worth it. Other than skates & gloves, I tend to keep anything until it literally falls apart, so I'm much more concerned about durability, practicality and features such as small pockets to put tape in and so on, rather than price. I'm 100% willing to pay double or triple the price for something that lasts me many years and is quality, as opposed to cheaply made garbage I'll be replacing in 3-4 years.

Let's hear your experiences below.

You can always buy a mat from Ikea and use toiletry bags to keep smaller items together.  The corners ripping and zippers failing are the most common issues for replacing a bag.

• Like 1

Funny thing to me about using mats or towels on the floor.   Sure the germs are not on your feet, but when you put the mat or towel back in your bag don't the germs go in it with them? I prefer just to stand on my shower sandals. When packing my gear I wrap the sandals with my skate towel and throw them in my laundry bag

1 hour ago, SirJW said:

Funny thing to me about using mats or towels on the floor.   Sure the germs are not on your feet, but when you put the mat or towel back in your bag don't the germs go in it with them? I prefer just to stand on my shower sandals. When packing my gear I wrap the sandals with my skate towel and throw them in my laundry bag

I don't think people are concerned about germs.  They just don't want to step into a puddle of water.

• Like 3

For me it's like 99% water/ice on my feet, 1% germs. It's a locker room; the second you walk inside like 9 billion germs slap you in the face.

• Like 1

Late to the party but I don't think its worth paying a premium for a hockey bag. I've been using a bag that I got back in 2004. I think if someone is OCD about organizing their things, maybe. For me, I've never really cared for a nice bag.

10 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Well, both. 

Germophobes would avoid a sport where people spit and shoot snot rockets onto the ice.

• Like 1

Wow, never heard of some of these brands.  C&B must make amazing tshirts and hats too for the ridiculous prices they are charging for them.  The Ts must rival the Three Wolves Howling at the Moon...

My old Easton bag is made of really thick whatever, it must be almost twenty years old with no real wear.  Wish it would die, I would get something with more organization.  Playing in the morning and having to take everything to shower and leave straight from the rink to work makes forgetting stuff too easy.