Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
cparent1

Older Bauer Vapor skates (Pre 2000)

I just recently updated the bearings and wheels on my Bauer Vapor's after sitting for about 15 years.  I estimate that I bought the skates in 1995, probably only changed the wheels once. I have the Hi Lo setup, and recently bought the Bauer Swiss bearing kit with all of the spacers and axles, and some 80/76 wheels based on the newer wheel setups.  Unfortunately, the 80's didn't fit in the rear chassis slot.  I ended up putting the 76's in the rear and bought 72's for the front.  I'm not sure what size the original wheels were, or the wheels that I replaced, but the 76/72 seems to fit my chassis fine.  Does anyone know what the older factory Hi Lo set up was in terms of wheel size?   My other problem is that the center spacer supplied with the Bauer bearings are smaller in diameter than the ones currently in the wheels.  My axle would not fit through the new spacer.  I guess the current size is a 6mm axle, and an 8mm spacer.  I used the original axles and spacers with new wheels and bearings, but was curious as to whether the older axle/spacer was a different size or it was just a tolerance issue.  My old axle would not fit through the new Bauer spacers (8mm).

Lastly, the Bauer kit axles were all the same length, for the current models.  My skates have a longer axle in the middle two slots, the Bauer kit was too short.  If I'm going to change the chassis, in addition to the new parts I just got, I probably should have just gotten new skates.  However, my boots are in good condition and fit great.  If I can't get parts, I may have few options.  Does anyone have a place for older Vapor skate parts?  PS  If I can upload a photo, I have two.

Post of picture of your skates.  I don't recall Bauer having a Hi-Lo setup until the Mission-Itech purchase in the late 2000s?  Vapors came out in the late 90s and the first two gens (Vapor 8 and Vapor 10) came with the rocker chassis.

• Like 1