Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Why does Seattle WA have the worst hockey community?

I have lived in a lot of states and played hockey all over North America and Seattle WA seems to have the worst overall hockey community when it comes to camaraderie. It seems like all of the rinks are divided, the hockey associations are divided and the people are just overall pretty shitty. Why? 

My example:

There is a drop-in that happens on Friday nights in North Seattle. A rink in the south decided they would offer a drop-in as well so people dont have to drive 40 miles just to get ice time. More importantly, there are more players than a single drop-in can handle so its nice to give people some options. One of the primary individuals who manages the skate in the north was upset that the south skate was publicized and felt some of his players were being poached he decided to ban the players who publicized the skate in the south. Some of the individuals also sometimes skate in the north too! No one was "poaching" or trying to "steal" any players. The fact he thinks this is mind-blowing..... Perhaps he doesn't understand that people have a right to choose.

Anyway, I am frustrated. I dont understand what is wrong with people in Seattle. I am used to hockey communities being like family but it seems in Seattle area individuals treat everything like commodities. It's sad. 

Edited by Nicholas G
grammar edits

That sucks.  We have private and public pick-up all over throughout the course of the week and people pick and choose at will.

once you get into organized youth hockey things are a bit less cordial, but that is still dependant on different factors and is really a symptom of the professionalization of youth sports in general, not just here.

Haha sorry to hear that my friend. My guess is that they have too much time on their hands and use the leverage of the lack of ice to their advantage. Out here in the Delaware Valley, there is plenty of politics. There is also more than enough good people and/or rinks that just look to give ANYONE a chance to step on the ice, no matter what level of play. We have both private and public pick up hockey. We also have a multi-rink pickup hockey organization called Shinny USA that gives people a chance to play and not worry about idiots. Sorry my dude: hang in there.

3 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Haha sorry to hear that my friend. My guess is that they have too much time on their hands and use the leverage of the lack of ice to their advantage. Out here in the Delaware Valley, there is plenty of politics. There is also more than enough good people and/or rinks that just look to give ANYONE a chance to step on the ice, no matter what level of play. We have both private and public pick up hockey. We also have a multi-rink pickup hockey organization called Shinny USA that gives people a chance to play and not worry about idiots. Sorry my dude: hang in there.

I am debating on sharing the email exchange I have had with this individual so others can see just what a terrible person he is. Some have said this is a good idea, others said it won't make things better and could make them worse, if thats even possible. What do you think? 

Howdy,

Assuming the guy isn't the rink owner, a better approach might be to share it with the rinks in question.  I wouldn't expect much though.  I'd do it as more of a "just so you know, this guy is hurting the community and I thought you might care." kinda thing.

You're unlikely to change an asshole.  But the people that control ice time have a little more leverage.

I also wouldn't throw an entire region under the bus because of a few assholes that are in the exact wrong position.  FWIW.

Mark

17 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

I have lived in a lot of states and played hockey all over North America and Seattle WA seems to have the worst overall hockey community when it comes to camaraderie. It seems like all of the rinks are divided, the hockey associations are divided and the people are just overall pretty shitty. Why? 

My example:

There is a drop-in that happens on Friday nights in North Seattle. A rink in the south decided they would offer a drop-in as well so people dont have to drive 40 miles just to get ice time. More importantly, there are more players than a single drop-in can handle so its nice to give people some options. One of the primary individuals who manages the skate in the north was upset that the south skate was publicized and felt some of his players were being poached he decided to ban the players who publicized the skate in the south. Some of the individuals also sometimes skate in the north too! No one was "poaching" or trying to "steal" any players. The fact he thinks this is mind-blowing..... Perhaps he doesn't understand that people have a right to choose.

Anyway, I am frustrated. I dont understand what is wrong with people in Seattle. I am used to hockey communities being like family but it seems in Seattle area individuals treat everything like commodities. It's sad. 

I've seen leagues try to poach players from other leagues. It is frowned upon because around here, each league is somebody's business. If the south pick-up was being publicized at the north skate then I can see how the north guy would have been peeved. Yes, people have a right to choose but you don't see a Chevy dealer sitting outside the door of the Mazda dealership handing out flyers, either.

2 hours ago, chippa13 said:

I've seen leagues try to poach players from other leagues. It is frowned upon because around here, each league is somebody's business. If the south pick-up was being publicized at the north skate then I can see how the north guy would have been peeved. Yes, people have a right to choose but you don't see a Chevy dealer sitting outside the door of the Mazda dealership handing out flyers, either.

In the Seattle area people from the East dont go West and people from the South dont go North, vice versa as well. Its weird, but thats just the way people operate. I am likely only one of a few players that skates at all of the rinks in the region and I also dont associate myself with one particular group or set of teams vs another. I . just like to go out and skate, have fun, and enjoy myself. I feel like everyone who has "aged out" should embrace this thought because there is no point in being a dick or going "so hard" in a game of shinny with buddies that someone could accidentally get hurt. Also, since hockey is not nearly as popular in Seattle as most other locations I would imagine the community to be closer knit, which it is, but in a much more negative way. 

2 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Not sure what any of that has to do with what you quoted.

My point is there is no competition between areas. The distance between the two rinks is 35 miles. This is not even factoring in the distance that people would actually have to drive from their homes. No one wants to drive 35 miles at 10pm at night to go play hockey unless that is literally the only option. If there was another option closer to home people would much rather attend that skate. 

On 4/25/2019 at 10:15 PM, Nicholas G said:

My example:

Total joke. But I could see how that could be perceived as poaching.

Where there are more than enough players for a multi-arena city, it's not really seen as poaching. There's usually enough business from figure skating, minor league hockey, and men's league hockey such that pick-up hockey is just extra money for the rink to earn late at night.