Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

First skates since '02...help with fit.

Recommended Posts

Hey all.  New to this place...hope I'm doing this correctly!  

Okay,  background...playing for 45 years...college...adult leagues elite-level, coaching...the works.  All of that led to my hips degenerating and the loss of...well...everything (other than 24/7 pain). One miracle later...two new hips as of last June, and I can do everything again...including returning to the game I love! It's unreal...I wake up every and I'm thankful.   Onward...enough sappy stuff.  I have been away for 10 years, and the technology is now another universe to me.  Yesterday,  I went to the only place in the region that has pro-level gear. The Bauer computer says I'm in a Vapor, the S2Pro felt much better out of the box. The CCM computer says Jetspeed, but the SuperTacks AS1 felt better out of the box. They also said that the Ribcor would be closest in feel to my last skates...Supreme 5000's (yeah...that long ago). Here's my question...Should those Vapor and Jetspeeds feel uncomfortably snug in the instep and forefoot UNTIL they are baked, at which time they will feel good. Conversely,  will those Supremes and AS1's that feel good be too loose after baking? Thanks for bearing with the long post and my newly acquired ignorance!

Oh and...glad I went in to try them on, I measured my feet and followed all online recommendations...they put me in 8.5's.  Well...in a "pro fit" w/o socks (my style), I'm actually a 7 left, and 8 right.  Will go with 7.5's unless I find my mirror image out there who wants to swap one skate!

Edited by Jbear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are looking at top spec skates why not go full custom and get something like TRUE? Especially since you have two significantly different sized feet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for responding!  I did consider that, but what I have seen of True doesn't really excite me.  The shop yesterday said that CCM and Bauer may be offering a two size option soon, and I believe CCM is offering custom skates.  Honestly, the two size thing has never bothered me, so I'm fine with a 7.5.

Do you have any thoughts regarding my question... how this new class of skates should feel pre-baked?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bauer scanner put me in the correct boot, said my feet were best for the 2S (AS1) which I already knew as I've always fit in Tacks really well. However the CCM 3D scanner said I was an 8.5 which I've always been in the 7-7.5 range. The Jetspeed and Vapor will be very similar in fit so if you didn't like one, no surprise you didn't like the other. I would say the skates should feel pretty darn close to being comfortable without being baked so if you are getting pressure points or areas of your foot that are getting squished, that would be a no go. If you are liking the way the 2S/AS1 boots feel I would forget about what the scanner said and go with what feels best. 

But it does sound like you are a perfect candidate for a full custom skate if you can't really pin down one that you like off the shelf. I would also try using a skate sock instead of bare feet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate the insight. That is what I need to know. I wasn't sure if the baking would make the overly snug areas conform.  If I can hold out until I can try a Ribcor...that would be cool,  but it's amazing to have so many options. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And don’t feel bad, I am still in Supreme 7000s and having the same issue trying to feel comfortable trying the new skates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d look into a custom Ribcore 70k or soon to be 80k. They’re the right mix of new tech with the old school feel and flexibility. Outside of that, Both Bauer and CCM can do a full custom boot for you in any of the models on offer.

Trues (in my view) are absolute junk in comparison. 

Edited by Cavs019
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jbear said:

Thanks for responding!  I did consider that, but what I have seen of True doesn't really excite me.  The shop yesterday said that CCM and Bauer may be offering a two size option soon, and I believe CCM is offering custom skates.  Honestly, the two size thing has never bothered me, so I'm fine with a 7.5.

Do you have any thoughts regarding my question... how this new class of skates should feel pre-baked?

Almost was in the same boat as you. I rarely buy new skates because they are expensive. I went from a Bauer Supreme 6000 6.0 D I bought in the late 2000s to CCM Jetspeed 5.5 EE (which is now 6.0) I bought a year ago. 5.5 D was too tight.  I wear 7 EE or 7.5 D in street shoes.

I baked them once and it took a couple skates to break them in. My left foot felt fine after about 4 skates, but my right foot felt tight for about 8 skates. Now, they feel great. I could wear them all day long. I like the ankle/heel comfort a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a full size difference is quite a bit.

I would try the Ribcors, but I highly suggest full customs with that much of a discrepancy, either True or CCM or Bauer. Not sure what you mean by True not exciting you, but nonetheless, good news CCM and Bauer are both now offering custom skates to a wider audience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

I’d look into a custom Ribcore 70k or soon to be 80k. They’re the right mix of new tech with the old school feel and flexibility.

+1 on the Ribcors if you decide not to go the full custom route. The feel reminds me a lot more of skates that I loved from the pre-composite-boot days.  Like you, I wasn't wild about the Vapors or Jetspeeds out of the box, and I second the comments about baking helping a lot, but not everything.  I don't know anything about the 80ks, but I've been happy with my 70ks.  They certainly aren't as stiff as the top-end Vapors & Jetspeeds, but I found them to be very comfortable out of the box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much everyone! I'm going to skate in my 5000's until the Ribcor 80k is out...then make a decision.  Feel free keep throwing ideas my way.  If I come across a pair of 70k's in a 7.5D... might go for it, but stock is low everywhere...not too many sizes left.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jbear said:

Thanks so much everyone! I'm going to skate in my 5000's until the Ribcor 80k is out...then make a decision.  Feel free keep throwing ideas my way.  If I come across a pair of 70k's in a 7.5D... might go for it, but stock is low everywhere...not too many sizes left.

 

Check out this new video about the 80K's if you haven't already. Seems like a good option for an all-around fit boot instead of targeting one foot type. 

https://youtu.be/QfZGOoY7tPs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been down the same road. I have owned the supreme, vapor and the Ribcor. To answer your question the Vapor will not feel different in the instep and forefoot after baking. I ended up on the Vapor. The machine turned out to be a reliable source. Both the supreme and the Ribcore felt much more comfortable to try on and they were comfortable enough to skate in, BUT I never felt in tune with either one. I didn't know exactly why until I listened to the damn machine and put some time on the Vapor. If you have a narrow foot (which the machine suggests you have) even though the Supremes and the Ribcore will both feel great, there is some slop side to side(just the tiniest bit) which will affect your skating and balance. It's not earth shaking, and some might get passed it but to me something always felt off. The feel of the Vapor is sort of a shelf on the side of your foot and that never changes, but if they fit right you will not notice it in short order. In the end they will end up being the most comfortable, because they are the truest to your foot least amount of negative space. It's not a shoe it's a skate.That results in a more pleasant experience over all. Something to consider. It's quite a journey getting new skates after several years. Good luck to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So...I ended up going back to North Georgia Hockey (great shop), spent two visits and 4 hours...back and forth between the 2S Pro's and  Super Tacks AS1 (7.5 is my perfect size BTW).  Both felt really good, but the Bauer eyelets really put me off (a royal pain to lace up and $200 back to Bauer if one is damaged), and they are a little too forward flexible.  I decided that since CCM let's me return them for up to 30 days...how could I NOT try the Super Tacks?  I skated in them this past Sunday, and it was an awesome experience!  My feet felt like they were born in there, and it's amazing how light they are.  There's nothing about them that I don't dig.  I've got a spot on the outers by the top two eyelets that is digging a little, but if it doesn't break in, I'll spot-heat and bend out a couple mm's.  I can't wait to skate in them again!  If I didn't get on with the AS1's, I would get custom 2SPro's with the regular metal eyelets and a stiffer, thicker tongue.  I'm sure I would like them too, but, I'm very happy with my decision.

Note: I did get the Ribcor 70k's, but they didn't fit anywhere near as well as either the AS1 or 2SPro.  Shipped them back today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jbear said:

So...I ended up going back to North Georgia Hockey (great shop), spent two visits and 4 hours...back and forth between the 2S Pro's and  Super Tacks AS1 (7.5 is my perfect size BTW).  Both felt really good, but the Bauer eyelets really put me off (a royal pain to lace up and $200 back to Bauer if one is damaged), and they are a little too forward flexible.  I decided that since CCM let's me return them for up to 30 days...how could I NOT try the Super Tacks?  I skated in them this past Sunday, and it was an awesome experience!  My feet felt like they were born in there, and it's amazing how light they are.  There's nothing about them that I don't dig.  I've got a spot on the outers by the top two eyelets that is digging a little, but if it doesn't break in, I'll spot-heat and bend out a couple mm's.  I can't wait to skate in them again!  If I didn't get on with the AS1's, I would get custom 2SPro's with the regular metal eyelets and a stiffer, thicker tongue.  I'm sure I would like them too, but, I'm very happy with my decision.

Note: I did get the Ribcor 70k's, but they didn't fit anywhere near as well as either the AS1 or 2SPro.  Shipped them back today.

The CCM return/exchange is 90 days satisfaction guaranteed and you can return them for any reason. It's the best in the business. You could use them for 89 days and then say, i dont want them and the store will return them and send them back to CCM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×