Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Caps06

Foot pain in skates-Help!

I am getting pain in my jet speed ft1's in the front of my arch and back of my forefoot, it is in both skates.  I have worn jet speed 290's in the past and they fit great, but they were a size too small and I had to size up.  Any tips?  thanks.

9 minutes ago, SoberBeerLeaguer said:

How many times have you skated in them so far? 

tough to say, max of 20, but it's been spread out.  skated on them about 5-9 times from November-december and have skated less than 10 times on them since then.  Just getting into skating 1-2 times a week now.

Edit: probablyy 12-15 times maybe.  I have never had this stiff of a boot either if that impacts it at all.

Edited by Caps06

Sounds like my transition into the AS1. My feet were very sore, no pressure points or blisters, just the bottoms of my feet would ache. I experimented with different arch inserts on the Orthomove footbed, laced them lighter, tighter, nothing helped. The stiffness of the boot took a really long time to break in, around 20 skates in them before I had that moment when I was like yep, these feel great now.

My suggestion is maybe try a different footbed, one that has a good fit for your arch, the new CCM Orthomove's have a changeable arch insert. And give them some time, the break-in will take longer in that stiffer boot.

1 minute ago, SoberBeerLeaguer said:

Sounds like my transition into the AS1. My feet were very sore, no pressure points or blisters, just the bottoms of my feet would ache. I experimented with different arch inserts on the Orthomove footbed, laced them lighter, tighter, nothing helped. The stiffness of the boot took a really long time to break in, around 20 skates in them before I had that moment when I was like yep, these feel great now.

My suggestion is maybe try a different footbed, one that has a good fit for your arch, the new CCM Orthomove's have a changeable arch insert. And give them some time, the break-in will take longer in that stiffer boot.

yeah, I'm going to give it more time.  I have Bauer bumps bad in my right heel, but I put a gel pad in the skates and they feel great now.  going to give it more time considering I took a couple month break from hockey.

6 hours ago, Caps06 said:

yeah, I'm going to give it more time.  I have Bauer bumps bad in my right heel, but I put a gel pad in the skates and they feel great now.  going to give it more time considering I took a couple month break from hockey.

Haglund's don't go away, you need to manage it long term if you want to keep skating. Gel pads will help short term but they aren't a long term fix. First thing you should do is get your skates punched for the bump, you need a pocket in the skate that the bump can sit in so there is no pressure on it. You also need to make sure that the pocket is high enough so that if your heel lifts at all in the skate, that the bump doesn't jam up against the skate or the top of the pocket. Heel bunga pads and 2mm ezyfit booties are a good combination for protecting the bump. 

The shape of the heel pocket is very important, to reduce aggravating the bump you will ideally be in a boot that has a straight heel design like a Supreme. Jetspeed and Tacks lines have quite a distinct heel pocket and if your bump starts hitting the top of this heel pocket as you skate, you will not be in skates for long.

Next you should be asking yourself why you have got a bump. Typically it's because you have a foot alignment issue and your foot is rotating in the boot causing the heel to jam against the hard outer shell. In every case I have seen its because the foot pronates. There are various ways to address pronation and it's something you should consider doing for your long term skating health.

Surgery to remove the bump is pretty brutal, how the achillies is cut and reattached is very important because any changes from pre surgery have a huge impact on how your foot works in a skate. I've had one heel done, I won't get the other heel done now that I have addressed my pronation and how my feet work in the skate.