Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
IPv6Freely

St. Louis Blues vs. San Jose Sharks

St. Louis Blues vs. San Jose Sharks  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Game 1: St. Louis at San Jose – Saturday, May 11, 8 p.m. ET
  • Game 2: St. Louis at San Jose – Monday, May 13, 9 p.m. ET
  • Game 3: San Jose at St. Louis – Wednesday, May 15, 8 p.m. ET
  • Game 4: San Jose at St. Louis – Friday, May 17, 8 p.m. ET
  • x-Game 5: St. Louis at San Jose – Sunday, May 19, 3 p.m. ET
  • x-Game 6: San Jose at St. Louis – Tuesday, May 21, 8 p.m. ET
  • x-Game 7: St. Louis at San Jose – Thursday, May 23, 9 p.m. ET

Having watched the second and third periods for game 1, it looked like the Blues were having trouble getting traction, playing their game, being in control. 

You can't gauge the entire series on one game, so I hope the Blues can get back in gear for the other games.

• Like 1

Oh god, the refs were at it again last night. Tons of mistakes on both sides but that OT winner... wow. No words. 

Its one thing if it just hits a guys hand and nobody sees it, but when a guy openly swats at it and they miss THAT? Brutal. 

Howdy,

I think they care, but I also think that you can miss a call and with 900 cameras everywhere, any time a mistake is made, its going to be caught.

I do think there's a pretty big disconnect between "this guy was 5 inches offsides 30 seconds before the goal, so NO GOAL!!!!" and "The 2nd assist was a hand pass and we all know that 15 seconds after the goal was scored, but we can't change it, so... Sharks win?"

Mark

(edit: as a sometimes ref, this makes me feel a LOT better about stuff I miss.  🙂

Edited by marka

1 minute ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I think they care, but I also think that you can miss a call and with 900 cameras everywhere, any time a mistake is made, its going to be caught.

I do think there's a pretty big disconnect between "this guy was 5 inches offsides 30 seconds before the goal, so NO GOAL!!!!" and "The 2nd assist was a hand pass and we all know that 15 seconds after the goal was scored, but we can't change it, so... Sharks win?"

Mark

(edit: as a sometimes ref, this makes me feel a LOT better about stuff I miss.  🙂

Yet, one of those scenarios is reviewable and the other is not. But that's not even my point. 

I GET that there's nothing they can do about it if they missed it. But you just can't miss that. It's PART of the play. That's as obvious a hand-pass as you'll ever see. Neither of them were actually watching the puck? I don't think I'm angry so much as just simply amazed. 

image.png.1805ff17363e953e55076531c2142158.png

The pattern of garbage officiating has been going on so long that I am convinced that yes, it is an impossible sport to officiate, or they don't care.  But that was an obvious call.  

The officials have been removed from the series and will be replaced. This wouldn’t be strange except for the series not yet being over. This is a first as far as I know. 

Seems like they might need to consider adding a couple of things to "reviewable" list. Game winners like this can not be allowed. Just imagine goal like this ending game 7 of Stanley Cup final? Which is a possibility, I might add.

4 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

Seems like they might need to consider adding a couple of things to "reviewable" list. Game winners like this can not be allowed. Just imagine goal like this ending game 7 of Stanley Cup final? Which is a possibility, I might add.

See: Buffalo vs Dallas

How about getting rid of video replay all together... Go to coaches challenges instead. 

I'm against anything that will slow the game down and video replay slows things down. The game survived for decades without it. Not sure why we suddenly need it and more of it.

Howdy,

I don't see how you "get rid of video review" in this day and age.  Right now we have the situation where there's video review on everything, its just that the refs (vs. the fans) are only allowed to watch it in very specific situations.

Of all the stuff I've heard talked about, I like the idea of having a ref in the press box / whatever watching from on high with video screens available to him/her and communication to the officials on the ice.

I'm also not opposed to allowing a coach to challenge anything, with a 2 minute minor assessed if they're wrong.

Mark

Coaches challenges are fine also, just make sure your asses penalty for every crap challenge. All misconduct calls though need to be reviewable by refs.

4 minutes ago, marka said:

Of all the stuff I've heard talked about, I like the idea of having a ref in the press box / whatever watching from on high with video screens available to him/her and communication to the officials on the ice

They do have war room (Toronto) which is basically that. That however is only applicable in reviewable situations. So this will require to add more situations on the reviewable list.

Howdy,

26 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

They do have war room (Toronto) which is basically that. That however is only applicable in reviewable situations. So this will require to add more situations on the reviewable list.

I think its different.  A ref up in the press box with a microphone talking to the ear of the refs on the ice, who you see in person before the game and between periods is a much different thing than someone you see twice a year phoning in a call from Toronto.  That's a way different vibe for when the four on ice refs gather together for a conference and in that conference there's another ref on-site watching from above.

Challenges should still go through Toronto / whatever.  This is just a mechanism for the on ice refs to ask for help whenever they want it plus a way for the on-site press box guy to say "Hey Harry... I think we ought to talk about that one" real time, just like he/she was on the ice with them.

Mark

So when your team plays the Maple Leafs, you cool with the on ice official calling the office in Toronto? If I'm honest, I have a bit of a problem with that.

Coaches challenges can't be penalized with a 2 minute penalty. If I am coaching, I never make that call because I dont want to put my team down a man. Taking away the teams TO and putting the faceoff in their defensive zone is more realistic.

Honestly, if the refs were better at their jobs and took a less black and white (no pun intended) approach things would be better.

Edited by stick9

Both soccer and rugby have an off-field official that does exactly what you guys are talking about. I’m honestly kind of surprised the refs don’t already have an earpiece. 

As for the concern about bias in Toronto, to be honest I think it’s actually the opposite... a bit of bias AGAINST the leafs just so they don’t get accused of being biased FOR the leafs. 

I use NHL.tv so was able to watch the Sportsnet/CBC broadcasts. I’ve never heard of the guy you mention but I usually avoid NBC like the plague. 

Happy to see the Blues moving on. I honestly didn’t care who won this series but once it was clear St. Louis was dominating I was more than happy to get behind them. They’re a great story this year, and considering the laughs Bozak got from just about everyone, including me, when he said he joined St. Louis to win a cup, I’m rooting for him too. Binnington is obviously also a great story, as is their rise from last place back in January.

14 hours ago, SirJW said:

Kenny Albert, did a great job calling the series for NBC Sports. Too bad he's done for the season. 

Really unfortunate that now its the Emrick and McGuire show the rest of the way.

4 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Really? He ruins every game I watch 😞 

I agree. Doc has lost his fastball. He makes a lot of mistakes now. 

As for McGuire, he’s only good if you want to know every team a player has played for since he was 5

I couldn’t ever listen to Doc. Just irritating. With Pierre it’s more the random things he says while the play is going on. Once you notice that he does it, it’s impossible to ignore. 

Also the interviews with the coaches during the game is ridiculous. That’s gotta be beyond irritating for them.