Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
texspeleo

Women’s breezers with better protection

Greetings squad,

My wife has been playing for a few years now, and prefers the coed league over playing women’s league, but this means that she gets stood up and lands on her butt a bit more, and her Bauer x80s don’t have enough padding back there to keep her from getting some deep bruises on her posterior hip. She’s tried a couple of mine, but the fit isn’t great. Does anyone have a recommendation for women’s breezers with more padding in back?

Thanks!

Chris

Best bet is try a higher end pant. They usually have more padding. You could also try padded shorts under the pants.

5 hours ago, stick9 said:

Best bet is try a higher end pant. They usually have more padding. You could also try padded shorts under the pants.

The problem is, that is a high-end women’s pant. 

I’d recommend a high end girdle - will fit her form better than a men’s pant and would have better protection than a lot of women’s pants. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JR Boucicaut said:

The problem is, that is a high-end women’s pant. 

I’d recommend a high end girdle - will fit her form better than a men’s pant and would have better protection than a lot of women’s pants. 

I'd second that. My wife wears a Warrior Dynasty girdle. It's lightweight, it adapts to your body shape better than traditional pants, and the hip and tailbone protection are quite good for preventing bumps and bruises from falls. The overall protection is not really top tier for full contact or shot blocking, but for hip and tailbone protection and overall comfort I think it would be a great option for her.

The current Covert QRE girdle would be the one I'd look at. Get her the right size and a shell to match and I think she'd love it.

colins

On 5/8/2019 at 2:08 PM, bthompson1286 said:

would a pro stock pair help?  

That was my instinct, but I couldn’t find any women’s pro stock breezes on-line...

FWIW, in case someone else is looking for womens pants, my wife has been buying the 2nd to top tier Supreme and then Nexus pants and she loves them. Everyone’s bodies are different. It’s just trying stuff on until you like it? 

Do women in college and on pro teams tend to wear the “women’s cut” of pants and shoulder pads? Or do they just wear the typical “men’s” pads? 

1 hour ago, start_today said:

Do women in college and on pro teams tend to wear the “women’s cut” of pants and shoulder pads? Or do they just wear the typical “men’s” pads? 

I was wondering that too. I found a pair from my favorite college being sold as Bauer Pro Stock, size tag only says M/M. And they say they were from the women's team.  ???

5 hours ago, start_today said:

FWIW, in case someone else is looking for womens pants, my wife has been buying the 2nd to top tier Supreme and then Nexus pants and she loves them. Everyone’s bodies are different. It’s just trying stuff on until you like it? 

No, they typically wear men's for everything as that's what they're used to.

A couple of the companies made a push to make decent women's products again, but the sizing is more indicative of a college or Olympic player's body and not the average woman.  I had brought in women's products in to my store for the past few years and it was a struggle to get customers to buy it.

4 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

A couple of the companies made a push to make decent women's products again, but the sizing is more indicative of a college or Olympic player's body and not the average woman.  I had brought in women's products in to my store for the past few years and it was a struggle to get customers to buy it.

+1 to unrealistic sizing! Tabitha isn’t small (5’ 9”), but is quite fit, and the women’s XL X80s are a squeeze to get on.  Padded shorts weren’t an option for that reason.  Compared to my G500 Grafs, the protection seems pretty flimsy for top-end gear.

I wear a Bauer 1s short but even that is not padded enough to protect my delicate (old) backside. So I also wear a Xion d3o boxer short underneath. I can now take a tumble with no long lasting damage. There are cheaper alternatives such as the Demon d3o shorts, not as good as they get sweatier, but just as protective as they use the exact same d3o pad. 

50 minutes ago, qmechanic said:

There's women's pro stock pants from the University of Minnesota team on Sidelineswap. I used to wear Tackla Air 9000 pants and they were super protective. Unfortunately, you can't seem to get them in the USA anymore.

You can get this but just a bit of bigger pain in the behind now to do it. They pop up on Ebay all the time. The North American importer in Connecticut is listing them on there all the time.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 2:46 AM, JR Boucicaut said:

A number of reasons behind this.

1.  As you mentioned, the gear is made for the woman ATHLETE, not the average woman of today.  Unfortunately, the average woman today would only fit into men's hockey pants, which are poorly sized for their bodies in a number of areas.

2.  To sell women's protective, pants especially, you need a woman who uses it and understands the proper fitting of it, and the reason a female hockey player needs it over men's gear.

• Like 1

I recall a similar thread and I think one of the responses was short pants but wider waist works for many. Unfortunately that style is also hard to find. 

3 hours ago, SirJW said:

I recall a similar thread and I think one of the responses was short pants but wider waist works for many. Unfortunately that style is also hard to find. 

The reason why men's pants don't and won't ever fit a female properly is that women are longer from the knee to the hip than a man.  That's athletic woman, today's "average" woman, any woman, period.  

From there, the waist not being wide enough for today's "average" woman is an entirely different story.

• Like 1

I know people have already recommended a Girdle, but I would like to add that because of the way the Girdle works, you could also probably modify the protection areas to be shorter, and then modify the shell as well (MUCH easier than trying to modify regular pants).

I do the same with mine, just the opposite way (I have longer legs and skinnier waist), and so I lengthen everything in addition to the CCM's +1 system.

when we were in Anaheim for USA Hockey Nationals we visited a Pure Hockey and they had a company that was making women's-specific gear. some teammates tried the stuff on and were impressed with the fit:

https://starkhockey.com/collections/women-s

that said, I'm glad to hear that you got your wife a girdle. switching to a Bauer girdle was the best thing I ever did. 

14 minutes ago, shoeshine boy said:

when we were in Anaheim for USA Hockey Nationals we visited a Pure Hockey and they had a company that was making women's-specific gear. some teammates tried the stuff on and were impressed with the fit:

that said, I'm glad to hear that you got your wife a girdle. switching to a Bauer girdle was the best thing I ever did. 

Huh, they have an inner belt similar to goalie pants. That would be really nice on mens pants so I don't need suspenders... 

EDIT: Ah, I knew I recognized this brand. Their shoulder pads were designed by the guy who created the Down Low shoulder pads. Sadly, they aren't anything like the Down Low. 

27 minutes ago, shoeshine boy said:

If they are making gloves specifically for women, I hope they take into account that most women have ring fingers about the same length as their index, as opposed to most men who's ring fingers tend to extend past the index.

2 hours ago, Giltis said:

If they are making gloves specifically for women, I hope they take into account that most women have ring fingers about the same length as their index, as opposed to most men who's ring fingers tend to extend past the index.

Yup...

Girls typically have a longer finger to hand ratio vs boys. These gloves allow for a tighter fight around the hand vs boys gloves while providing adequate finger length. 

6 hours ago, shoeshine boy said:

Those look like some nice pants to me. Maybe she’ll get some option for her BD. I don’t have much room to be critical of having a couple pairs of options...

Thanks for the link!