Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Sparky19

Vapor XXXX skates to what?

Hey guys,

I’m currently in a pair of vapor xxxxs and they are definitely on their last legs, just had the top 3 eyelets repaired on both sides of my right skate. 3 years ago I bought a pair of x7.0s after being “fitted” at pro hockey life, I say fitted loosely I used to work at a pretty well known Hockey store here in Edmonton in the skate department so I’m pretty confident of my specs but that was a lifetime ago.

My research 3 years ago told me that x7.0s would be the closest in overall fit they felt fine in store after baking but after 25-30 skates through the last couple years they haven’t broken in, feel incredibly stiff, are higher cut in the ankle then I am used to and I find that I’m not a fan of the liner. Is there any other skates I should take a look at with a clarino liner?

I’m not as up to date on skates these days, 2 kids under 2 and a wife and house take up lots of time. Not that I won’t spend the money on a top of the line pair if that’s the best fit but am looking to keep the cost down if possible.

Specs current skates are 8D vapor 40

I am 5’ 10” and 240lbs and not the strongest skater around.

thanks guys,

Brad

I was in them and my next skate after that was Mako II, now FT1 and probably FT2 next. I went from 9D in Vapor to 8D in Mako II now 8.5D in FT1 (same for the FT2 I tried on).

This is more than you asked for, but at 240lb you may "overpower" Mako boots long term because most pairs floating around are probably used. I weigh 190 but I'm a decent skater and the boots really broke down and softened up on me big time over just 4-5 years. The FT1 are stiffer feeling and I prefer that. If you can, look maybe into FT490's or used FT390. I find that new Vapor boots do not fit like the older ones... more narrow but a larger instep at the same time. Put my foot in a 9D 1X and took it right back out, much too tight. The EE was too wide.

19 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

I was in them and my next skate after that was Mako II, now FT1 and probably FT2 next. I went from 9D in Vapor to 8D in Mako II now 8.5D in FT1 (same for the FT2 I tried on).

This is more than you asked for, but at 240lb you may "overpower" Mako boots long term because most pairs floating around are probably used. I weigh 190 but I'm a decent skater and the boots really broke down and softened up on me big time over just 4-5 years. The FT1 are stiffer feeling and I prefer that. If you can, look maybe into FT490's or used FT390. I find that new Vapor boots do not fit like the older ones... more narrow but a larger instep at the same time. Put my foot in a 9D 1X and took it right back out, much too tight. The EE was too wide.

Thanks z1ggy, I know this is a few pairs ago now for you but do you have any comment on the height of the ft1 in the ankle area vs the 40s?

1 hour ago, Sparky19 said:

Thanks z1ggy, I know this is a few pairs ago now for you but do you have any comment on the height of the ft1 in the ankle area vs the 40s?

Honestly Sparky its been so long I can't recall what the Vapor's fit like as far as the height of boot went in the ankle. At this point I'd probably be looking at the FT490 because CCM has that 90 day return policy, so you can always just buy them and if the fit isn't right for you, return them.

Hopefully some other guys will chime in that have more skate knowledge than me to help you out, good luck.

42 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

Honestly Sparky its been so long I can't recall what the Vapor's fit like as far as the height of boot went in the ankle. At this point I'd probably be looking at the FT490 because CCM has that 90 day return policy, so you can always just buy them and if the fit isn't right for you, return them.

Hopefully some other guys will chime in that have more skate knowledge than me to help you out, good luck.

Thanks man, I figured it was a long shot.

17 hours ago, Sparky19 said:

Thanks man, I figured it was a long shot.

I actually found my old Vapors in my garage haha. I'll try to remember to take a pic of them next to the FT1 for height comparison. I can even throw the Mako's in there, too.

Maybe try a Vapor X700. Similar specs to the XXXX but a more moldable composite material for the quarter. Plus, they won’t break the bank. Good luck. 

I’d go with a CCM 70k or 68k if they fit your overall foot shape. A full composite boot shell is going to feel like crap compared to the flexible Vapor boot that you’re used to. I loved the Vapor XX, XXX, and XXXX but everything after that feels like a ski boot. 

Thanks for the input Cavs, in the past few days I have made my way to the store and tried on the ft390, the ft1 and a pair of AS1s and I agree with your statement 100% they felt super stiff very similar to my x7.0s. I’ll check on the 68 and 70k the next time I’m in the store. The last time I was fit in a Reebok/ ccm I had good luck with the fit of the 20k are the 70k built on the same lasts fit wise as the previous generations?

On 5/13/2019 at 2:10 PM, Cavs019 said:

I’d go with a CCM 70k or 68k if they fit your overall foot shape. A full composite boot shell is going to feel like crap compared to the flexible Vapor boot that you’re used to. I loved the Vapor XX, XXX, and XXXX but everything after that feels like a ski boot.