Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
flip12

Any feedback on longer radii ( >= 11’ )?

Hi all. I’m looking at getting my skate blades contoured before we get our ice back in August. Out of the common stock radii (9’, 10’, and 11’) I’m by far most comfortable on 11’. This makes sense to me because I played several years of roller hockey prior to switching to ice, and the longer radius feels more natural to my ingrained skating.

My question is, what are people’s experiences with radii longer than 11’, because the place I can get my blades done offers 13’, 15’, and 17’, as well as some combo radii?

From what I’ve read in the ProSharp Project reviews, no one has reviewed a radius longer than 11’ yet, and a search didn’t return any existing topics dedicated to this question yet.

26 minutes ago, flip12 said:

Hi all. I’m looking at getting my skate blades contoured before we get our ice back in August. Out of the common stock radii (9’, 10’, and 11’) I’m by far most comfortable on 11’. This makes sense to me because I played several years of roller hockey prior to switching to ice, and the longer radius feels more natural to my ingrained skating.

My question is, what are people’s experiences with radii longer than 11’, because the place I can get my blades done offers 13’, 15’, and 17’, as well as some combo radii?

From what I’ve read in the ProSharp Project reviews, no one has reviewed a radius longer than 11’ yet, and a search didn’t return any existing topics dedicated to this question yet.

I actually like the 11' single radius profile and our store does quite a bit of them for players who prefer a single radius and dont want a combination radius. However with that being said, if you are open to a combination radius you might like a 10/20' or the Zuperior or Quad 2 profile. Here are some example profiles:

R8h2iRO.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

I actually like the 11' single radius profile and our store does quite a bit of them for players who prefer a single radius and dont want a combination radius. However with that being said, if you are open to a combination radius you might like a 10/20' or the Zuperior or Quad 2 profile. Here are some example profiles:

R8h2iRO.jpg

The place I’m looking at has those options available too, and they do seem intriguing with the longer radii in the back. For this round, I’m afraid I might need to minimize the steel loss, because I’m working with a single set of MLX holders and steel, so I don’t have the chance to try the ideal approach, rotating multiple sets with different profiles. If I can get a pair of Trues next year, I’ll definitely go with that try everything approach though. For now I’ve thought I’d keep it to the single radius options to keep it simple and avoid steel loss. With that in mind I thought I’d try the longest single radius and work down to 11’, since that should minimize the steel loss if I’m picturing it right. I just want to hear from others if trying something like a single 17’ is crazy before I go with it. 

31 minutes ago, flip12 said:

The place I’m looking at has those options available too, and they do seem intriguing with the longer radii in the back. For this round, I’m afraid I might need to minimize the steel loss, because I’m working with a single set of MLX holders and steel, so I don’t have the chance to try the ideal approach, rotating multiple sets with different profiles. If I can get a pair of Trues next year, I’ll definitely go with that try everything approach though. For now I’ve thought I’d keep it to the single radius options to keep it simple and avoid steel loss. With that in mind I thought I’d try the longest single radius and work down to 11’, since that should minimize the steel loss if I’m picturing it right. I just want to hear from others if trying something like a single 17’ is crazy before I go with it. 

I have never had any adult in a senior skate use anything longer than an 11' radius die to the amount of power and length needed for each stride. 

Skating on anything over a 13' will feel like you are using a bobsled. 13' will feel like a snowboard. 11' will give you stability and more top end speed but still feel like skis. If that makes sense. 

Edited by Nicholas G

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

I have never had any adult in a senior skate use anything longer than an 11' radius die to the amount of power and length needed for each stride. 

Skating on anything over a 13' will feel like you are using a bobsled. 13' will feel like a snowboard. 11' will give you stability and more top end speed but still feel like skis. If that makes sense. 

I've only skied for a few minutes in my life (the loaner set I was using was so worn one ski wouldn't clamp tight enough to pull through 4" of powder and stay locked), but it reminded me of skating. I've never snowboarded, but the analogy is starting to fall apart in my head. With a snowboard, your feet are linked at a fixed distance from each other, right? I can't picture skating like that. Maybe I'm just not following...

I much prefer a stock 11' on Graf to anything else I've tried--mostly 9' and 10', but I think I tried a pair of CCMs that were 7' because I felt like I had absolutely no glide, and no pivot length to launch into strides from.

I think I'd be happy on an 11' again. I'm just wondering if I'm missing out not going longer. If I'm not mistaken, I think it's somewhat common for players in Sweden to skate on longer radii than 11', so the advice might just vary that much due to geography. I'll try to get some sense from the shop that can profile about what they'd recommend and why. I wish I had extra steel, so I could get an 11' just to have it and have an extra set or two to try out alternate profiles.

Edited by flip12

Coming from a 10' radius i wanted to have more glide and stability and wanted to try a 11' radius. But my lhs convinced me to try a 13' radius.

Big difference, way more glide and stability but a big loss in maneuverability. I'm a advanced beginner. And you have to adjust your ROH. Coming from a 95/75 FBV(1/2" ROH) on the 10' this sharpening was absolutely too sharp on the 13', couldn't stop or turn feeling like beeing on rails. I had to go to 92/50FBV(7/8" ROH) to get an adequate edge. After some weeks a part of my maneuverability came back, but I still want more  of it. I will give it a chance for some weeks during next season and go to 11' if it doesn't get better.  

As you read through the reviews in the ProSharp section you'll notice as users go longer they start losing agility and acceleration. That's where combos come in. You can have the longer flat without sacrificing in other areas.

FWIW, I wouldn't start with a Zuperior or a Quad. I'd start with a simple double like a 10/20.

• Like 1

I was using a 12' radius and just recently switched to a 13' with a neutral pitch, and for me, I love it. I had switched to a 12 with a +1 pitch last year. At first it felt like I was losing some agility in turns, but after a while I stopped noticing. Now, it feels like I've gained agility because the extra stability lets me hit turns and crossovers way harder. Since I went up to the 13' radius, I also found I could loosen my skates around the ankles for more mobility and better feel for my edges, which I feel  has translated into longer strides and more power. Honestly, right now, it feels like I turned back the clock ten years and found my old legs again.

Now, I'm a smaller guy in junior skates so ymmv with senior skates. But like I've said, it's been nothing but positive for me. I've even been playing with the idea of a 14' radius. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jgold47 said:

I feel like I’ve read that 13+ is fairly common in Europe.   I couldn’t do it personally! 

I tried a 13' and I felt like I had a pair of snowboards attached to my feet. I also felt like every stride incredibly long and my legs were literally on fire after skating drop-in. 

I wonder if you come from a speed skating background, it would help. My stride was a bit different (still is a bit to some keen observers) when I made the switch.

On 6/8/2019 at 9:23 PM, jgold47 said:

I feel like I’ve read that 13+ is fairly common in Europe.   I couldn’t do it personally! 

It is.  Longer radius due to the fact that ice is wider, therefore having a smaller turning radius isn't needed as that is not how they skate over there.  The Prosharp Quad Zero was marketed as a North American profile due to the fact that it's the shortest.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 10:27 AM, Nicholas G said:

R8h2iRO.jpg

This is the first time I've seen what all the wacky names are actually referring to. I almost feel like it would be easier to say "DOUBLE-10-20" instead of "DETROIT I" but I guess Prosharp marketing disagrees 🤪

Thank you for posting!

Interesting. Not sure how you guys with large radius profile are able to get deep turns and fast backwards starts going with a long radius. I have 8' single radius.

2 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Not sure how you guys with large radius profile are able to get deep turns and fast backwards starts going with a long radius.

In two words, “Beer League.”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Interesting. Not sure how you guys with large radius profile are able to get deep turns and fast backwards starts going with a long radius. I have 8' single radius.

I haven't experimented intentionally with my skates' profile until wanting to do it this upcoming fall. All I know is from trying out different stock radii from 9', 10', and 11' and 11' feels the best. The 11' is on pitched Cobras, so the pitch might be part of the positive experience on an 11' profile for me. I feel like every aspect of my skating is better on an 11'. My question is if that's the beginning of a sweet zone for me or if it's actually my sweet spot. There could be better for me out there.

As to your question, how turns and starts are good on a longer radius, I guess it's what you're used to. I think for me personally it's because I played a lot of roller hockey before coming over to ice. As Justin Hoffman explained regarding the difference between roller and ice hockey skate setups, it explains why I like the forward pitch of Graf, and a longer radius seems to allow my most natural skating to come out. I can skate alright on a 9' or a 10', but I feel like I lose speed on every stride. Specifically with turning, I'm used to selectively balancing over a portion of my blade and shifting that loading position along the blade throughout the turn. If I'm on a shorter radius, say, less than 10', I start to lose that feel and instead start to tip forward and back, which really diminishes my shooting. It feels like golfing on the deck of a sailboat in choppy water.

Starts aren't too bad. Roller skates are really heavy by comparison, especially the last pair I had, Mission Proto Vs. I can't toe start as easily on longer radii, but I feel like toe starts are overrated anyway. As long as you get good leaping strides to start out and your stride rate isn't significantly diminished by gliding a bit as you take your next push, that's actually a bit of a bonus.

As with every element of equipment minutiae, to each their own; praised be the gods of personal preference, yet again.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

In two words, “Beer League.”

But also some big leaguers use longer profiles just fine.

I won't lie, I don't play anything better than beer league. But one example I can think of was Gaborik was on some monstrous combo like 13'/30' or something when I saw a pair of his used skates pop up on eBay.

Edited by flip12