Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
stick9

9.5' | 50mm | 10.5' (aka Hudson V) - stick9

Steel: STEP Edge 246mm

Hollow: ¾ ROH

About me:  Skating in general has never really been an issue. I’ve always been able to get to where I need to be. I started skating a young and grew up on a lake, so plenty of ice time in the winter. There are some aspects of my skating that could be better. I have had issues with decreased agility and lack of overall stability in the past. Normally I rotate two sets of steel. The first set is stock Bauer LS4 profiled to a Quad 0 by Shayne from Pro Sharp, the second is stock STEP Edge. When I started this program I purchased a set of Tydan from the pro shop here at MSH.

The stock STEP profile is my control set.

Review: I had two different profiles come back at the same time, a Quad 1 and the 9.5/50mm/10.5, which I am reviewing here. Having spent a good deal of time on a Quad 0 I was really interested in trying the Quad 1 so that’s what I went with first. I was pretty much set with the Quad 1 but in fairness to the program I felt I needed to give the 9.5/50mm/10.5 a shot.

Mobility on the quads is pretty much effortless. The Glide 50 required a bit more effort but an improvement over the stock 10’ profile on my control set. Getting up off the line was fairly easy. The Hudson V performed well in tight spaces. Tight turns and quick changes in direction were good. The big win was in the speed and stability. I felt as though I got more glide with this profile, which in turn led to an increase in overall top speed. When it comes to stability. I think I prefer this over any profile I have use to date.

The Hudson V is like a Quad 1 and a Zuperior S had a child. The mobility and acceleration of the quad with the speed and stability of the Zup S. The trouble now is, which one. I am conflicted. Both the 9.5/50mm/10.5 and Quad 1 work really well for me. I’ll probably spend more time on these before making a final call.

One thing to note here. With this profile (9.5/50mm/10.5) I feel like I could go with a deeper hollow. I don’t feel like I had the same amount of bite as I did with other profiles.

Mobility: 3.5

Stability: 4.5

Speed: 4

Acceleration: 4

Final Ranking (First to worst)

1) Quad 1 / Hudson V

2) See above-mentioned

3) Quad 0

4) Stock 10'

5) 9'/10'

So I’m hot on this profile but a little concerned as I have a smaller runner (254) like you and worries about what’s basically a 2” flat on such a small blade.  Did you consider a 40 or 35mm flat instead?

16 hours ago, jgold47 said:

So I’m hot on this profile but a little concerned as I have a smaller runner (254) like you and worries about what’s basically a 2” flat on such a small blade.  Did you consider a 40 or 35mm flat instead?

No, I did not. My overall goal is to get the max amount of blade contact without sacrificing mobility. Now had my mobility been crap, I might have tried something else. Plus I knew if it didn't work I could just go back to one of the quads.