Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
bunnyman666

Testimonial for Monty Hockey’s Blade Coating Service

If any of you have been thinking about this and need the extra push, here’s my push: DO IT!!!!

I use the coating on my runners and the Overdrive blades I sell. I have two pairs out in the wild and am VERY happy with the performance and aesthetics.

As far as the performance on runners- I can’t get a burr, even when running my Sparx on a 10 run cycle! Step Black does leave a sliver of metal that is easily removed. There is magic in that coating, and I will be recommending sharpening customers buy the Step polished steel and having Monty coat them. 

As far as service goes- Monty runs a ship like I do: reasonable wait times, always hitting the target within a day on either side. He lets you know what is going on, and I have never had to chase him down. There is a reason why he is touted on this site, as this is still the gold standard of hockey fora.

In short- Monty offers great product with service to match.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

If any of you have been thinking about this and need the extra push, here’s my push: DO IT!!!!

I use the coating on my runners and the Overdrive blades I sell. I have two pairs out in the wild and am VERY happy with the performance and aesthetics.

As far as the performance on runners- I can’t get a burr, even when running my Sparx on a 10 run cycle! Step Black does leave a sliver of metal that is easily removed. There is magic in that coating, and I will be recommending sharpening customers buy the Step polished steel and having Monty coat them. 

As far as service goes- Monty runs a ship like I do: reasonable wait times, always hitting the target within a day on either side. He lets you know what is going on, and I have never had to chase him down. There is a reason why he is touted on this site, as this is still the gold standard of hockey fora.

What is an overdrive blade? 

37 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

What is an overdrive blade? 

It is a supplemental blade for goalie skates. www.overdriveblade.com

52 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

It is a supplemental blade for goalie skates. www.overdriveblade.com

Interesting. This can't be used for USA Hockey and such I assume? 

5 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Interesting. This can't be used for USA Hockey and such I assume? 

It is illegal in a few places. Totally legal in beer league. Great tool for injury prevention.

9 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

It is illegal in a few places. Totally legal in beer league. Great tool for injury prevention.

Very cool. I'll ping you directly about grabbing some for the store. 

7 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Most beer leagues are USA Hockey leagues, and it's not legal with USA Hockey.  I remember installing (and then removing when referees spotted it), then reinstalling when they painted them to match their cowling.  Unless something has changed since the 2000's...

17 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Most beer leagues are USA Hockey leagues, and it's not legal with USA Hockey.  I remember installing (and then removing when referees spotted it), then reinstalling when they painted them to match their cowling.  Unless something has changed since the 2000's...

Okay- unsanctioned beer leagues. Plenty of those.

They are helping quite a few of us extend our sell by dates 😂

Edited by bunnyman666

2 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Most beer leagues are USA Hockey leagues, and it's not legal with USA Hockey.

We have Beer Leagues up in Canada too.

The only real thing they check here is a valid helmet sticker, and even that's only really done if the helmet visibly looks old.

2 hours ago, Giltis said:

We have Beer Leagues up in Canada too.

The only real thing they check here is a valid helmet sticker, and even that's only really done if the helmet visibly looks old.

They check helmet stickers in adult leagues? 

Just now, IPv6Freely said:

They check helmet stickers in adult leagues? 

Very rarely but I've seen it happen a handful of times in 10+ years across two provinces (perhaps it's just an insurance/liability thing). Every time it was just a quick warning like, "Hey that helmet is too old, get a new one for next time.", and yeah the helmet looked suuuper old. Either way all that to say that they wouldn't care if someone had these installed on their goalie skates.

5 minutes ago, Giltis said:

Very rarely but I've seen it happen a handful of times in 10+ years across two provinces (perhaps it's just an insurance/liability thing). Every time it was just a quick warning like, "Hey that helmet is too old, get a new one for next time.", and yeah the helmet looked suuuper old. Either way all that to say that they wouldn't care if someone had these installed on their goalie skates.

Interesting. In USA Hockey helmet stickers are irrelevant in adult divisions. I actually just remove them altogether. 

18 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Interesting. In USA Hockey helmet stickers are irrelevant in adult divisions. I actually just remove them altogether. 

Honestly, probably used as a justification method to stop folks from wearing really obviously outdated helmets.

Edited by Giltis
elaboration

On 6/10/2019 at 9:01 AM, bunnyman666 said:

Thank you for the kind words, happy to hear you are satisfied. The overdrive blades (or goalie blades in general) probably benefit from the enhanced edge retention more than player skates due to the higher likelihood of metal to metal contact. It's been great working with members of this site - thanks to JR for the opportunity. His initial response to a test set motivated  me to move forward with this project.     

On 6/14/2019 at 9:15 AM, Monty22 said:

Thank you for the kind words, happy to hear you are satisfied. The overdrive blades (or goalie blades in general) probably benefit from the enhanced edge retention more than player skates due to the higher likelihood of metal to metal contact. It's been great working with members of this site - thanks to JR for the opportunity. His initial response to a test set motivated  me to move forward with this project.     

Well sir- the pleasure has been mine! Just know you have a customer for life!

I'll second the praise of the Montys coatings! I had a couple of sets of STEP coated by Monty. I feel like the edges do not dull as fast. 

Plus the finish looks great in Black Tuuks.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1