Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
mjpisat

Ribcor skates

I tried the last generation in stores. Weird fitting skate. Comfy but very roomy for me. I just don’t buy their “fit all foot shape” claim. 

To me, you either fit in a snug skate or you don’t. If a skate “flexes” to fit, I feel that just means the boot will get loose over time if you have skinny feet. A foot that can fit jetspeeds should be in jetspeeds.

Maybe others with more experience with the flexible material claim can chime in. 

Sooooooo......I ordered ribcor and ft1 from PH to try on at least.  I don’t get ccm.  The ribcor feel like a nexus.  I really have to crank down on laces to get a snug good fit.  Even then there is a lot of volume in the toe cap area.  This is all pre baking.

the ft1 almost fit like a glove out of the box.  I don’t think they have near as much volume as the ribcor.

and the right ribcor feels much bigger than left.  

I may just try the ribcor for a month and see.  If they don’t work I already know the ft1 will.

That’s what I was talking about. My experience was the same. Again, I don’t buy their marketing claim. I think it’s just a more cavernous boot intended for foots that can’t fit in jetspeed and tacks. 

Did you get the old model or the new 80k?

Edited by BlueNux

On 6/12/2019 at 3:27 PM, mjpisat said:

Forgot to add that I feel like I could almost size down by a half in the ribcor

On 6/12/2019 at 3:17 PM, mjpisat said:

Sooooooo......I ordered ribcor and ft1 from PH to try on at least.  I don’t get ccm.  The ribcor feel like a nexus.  I really have to crank down on laces to get a snug good fit.  Even then there is a lot of volume in the toe cap area.  This is all pre baking.

the ft1 almost fit like a glove out of the box.  I don’t think they have near as much volume as the ribcor.

and the right ribcor feels much bigger than left.  

I may just try the ribcor for a month and see.  If they don’t work I already know the ft1 will.

The Ribcor is nice and while it does actually fit many of others, I find someone who likes very little negative space, like myself, who and wears mostly Vapor and JetSpeed skates, the skate feels sloppy and doesn't provide enough lateral support. I have not yet tested the 80K but I was told they addressed this. The only Ribcor I ever liked was a pair of Pro 70k and they were extra reinforced and super stiff with built-in shot blockers. They actually felt more like a previous generation Tacks and a Ribcor though. 

I've been skating in Ribcor 70ks for a few months now.  I have a very narrow foot and, as a result, hadn't skated in a CCM since the VacuTack days.  I, too, was skeptical about the claims that the skate would accommodate all foot types.  But so far I've been pretty happy.  The boot is definitely softer than most of the other to-of-the-line offerings from Bauer & CCM, but - for a beer league consumer - I think it's a solid option.  It doesn't require the same kind of extensive break-in time that some of the other options do, which is great for those of us who might not be skating enough to get through the break-in period quickly.  I do worry a bit about how fast the skates will break down.  But, honestly, at this point in my playing "career" I'd probably rather have a skate that's comfortable for most of its life and then breaks down, then a skate that's too stiff and then too soft (my experience with my last pair of Bauers).  FWIW, I am a big fan of older model skates and had been attracted to the Nexus as a more traditional boot, but found it much too wide.  The Ribcor offers me some of the same feel, while offering a better fit for a narrow foot.  To the earlier comments, I lace mine pretty tight, but - because of the construction - I find it comfortable to do so.  

• Like 1

I needed new skates so I got the Vapor 600’s. Had my foot scanned and those were what it said was for my feet. Now the skates I was replacing were a pair of Kor Shift 1’s that Ive had for 7 years. I absolutely loved those skates and hated the fact that they are not around any more. Those skates were incredibly low cut and snug with no gaps. After using the Vapors for about a month I had just given up on them. Wide toe box, snug on my forefoot and so-so in the heel. Also the height of the boot as I predicted was a major problem for me. I went to Monkey and tried the Jetspeeds and those were too tight on my forefoot but fine every where else but again the height concerned me. Now to the end of my story. I purchased a pair of Ribcor Platinums and absolutely Love them. The fit is like a glove and although the height is still way higher than I am used to, because of the flex in the skates I do not notice it at all. Really am happy with them, but I guess its all a matter of preference.