Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
grop7

Skate punching out for width

Hi,

I got some 1s skates size 3.5D. The problem is that the skate seems way too narrow even after baking. I measured that I might have to widen the boot about 5mm. is this possible? also in the area where the toecap meets the boot also feels narrow for my pinky toe. Is that area punchable? 

Many thanks for your help!

I wear 7.5 EE nexus. I have literal duck feet. Narrow heels massive forefoot. I had them stretched3 times and punched 3 times.   It’s helped somewhat. Definitely didn’t hurt  

I have no other choice outside of customs and really don’t know if it’s worth it. 

• Like 1

It is punchable and stretchable in that area. OP, you have read my posts in a thread as to how to stretch your own boots, either do it yourself or ask a decent LHS to do it, 5mm is an easy stretch. Start at the forefoot, get that stretched then go from there. It may take 3 or 4 stretches and punches in different areas before everything is good but seeing as you can fit your heel into the boot then you don't want to go wider if you are staying with these skates.

Edited by Vet88
  • Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 4:29 AM, Oilers97 said:

I wear 7.5 EE nexus. I have literal duck feet. Narrow heels massive forefoot. I had them stretched3 times and punched 3 times.   It’s helped somewhat. Definitely didn’t hurt  

I have no other choice outside of customs and really don’t know if it’s worth it. 

Same issue with me. Got narrow heels and wide forefoot (nightmare, hard to find a good skate for this)... Maybe I will try nexus next time. Cheers for the advice!

On 6/18/2019 at 7:24 AM, Vet88 said:

It is punchable and stretchable in that area. OP, you have read my posts in a thread as to how to stretch your own boots, either do it yourself or ask a decent LHS to do it, 5mm is an easy stretch. Start at the forefoot, get that stretched then go from there. It may take 3 or 4 stretches and punches in different areas before everything is good but seeing as you can fit your heel into the boot then you don't want to go wider if you are staying with these skates.

Hi, many thanks for your posts, they are incredibly valuable, especially when it's hard to find a LHS. Cheers!

Just out of curiosity. Do you reckon stretching too much makes them weaker on those areas?

You have a 1s which has a significant amount of carbon fiber in it. All you are doing is reshaping it, the cf still retains its strength. As to a Nexus, if are in a supreme heel u do not want to go to a Nexus. Why would u want to go wider in the heel? If u hv a narrow heel then jetspeed, vapour, rbk are where u should start.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grop7 said:

Same issue with me. Got narrow heels and wide forefoot (nightmare, hard to find a good skate for this)... Maybe I will try nexus next time. Cheers for the advice!

If you look at Bauer charts you’ll see that Nexus is exactly what you don’t want. You’re more likely to fit Vapor or maybe Supreme. I have duck feet, Bauer scanner recommends Vapors, but Supremes are comfy too. My feet are widest at the front, but not that wide. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Vet88 said:

You have a 1s which has a significant amount of carbon fiber in it. All you are doing is reshaping it, the cf still retains its strength. As to a Nexus, if are in a supreme heel u do not want to go to a Nexus. Why would u want to go wider in the heel? If u hv a narrow heel then jetspeed, vapour, rbk are where u should start.

Perfect, widening them did help and the skate is just as strong, which is great. Now I can skate without pain for about 40 mins (as opposed to 10 mins before). is this normal or should stretch a bit more?

Ah right, I didn't realize a good fit on the heel is the priority. Good to know, thanks!

16 hours ago, Leif said:

If you look at Bauer charts you’ll see that Nexus is exactly what you don’t want. You’re more likely to fit Vapor or maybe Supreme. I have duck feet, Bauer scanner recommends Vapors, but Supremes are comfy too. My feet are widest at the front, but not that wide. 

True, thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, grop7 said:

Perfect, widening them did help and the skate is just as strong, which is great. Now I can skate without pain for about 40 mins (as opposed to 10 mins before). is this normal or should stretch a bit more?

Ah right, I didn't realize a good fit on the heel is the priority. Good to know, thanks!

Keep giving them a small stretch. Normally you can see where they hurt on your feet once you take the skate off, that red area is a dead give away. But sometimes it's in the arch / forefoot area and there is no giveaway marks, this can be just overall tightness. If this is the case stretch the boot level with the area of pain.

A good heel fit isn't the pot of gold that most people think it is. If you can skate well with good ankle control then the heel fit doesn't really matter that much, you get a lot more value out of a good forefoot fit which helps to keep the boot locked around your foot. Start dropping eyelets until you can eventually skate with your laces untied and you will understand what I mean. But if you need the boot laced all the way up so that you can skate ok then a good heel fit will help you.

Edited by Vet88
  • Like 1

Maybe try loosening the laces over the forefoot then tighten tighter going up the ankle. I notice if I tighten mine to tight, they do hurt, when I have the laces just looser and tighter up the ankle, they're like slippers.

• Like 1