Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
MSH Pro Shop closing from 8/26 til first week of September Read more... ×
MrMoose9354

affordable sticks?

Recommended Posts

Would anyone recommend some lesser known stick manufacturers? I have been curious to see what other companies are able to produce with modern capabilities. thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

[...] Warrior and True offer good value. 

I've been a Easton/CCM guy all my life, not sure where to start with Warrior and True.

I was thinking of getting both this Summer, mid-range or Pro-Stock, low-ish kick, similar to a P29 (although I've been meaning to try the P30).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MrMoose9354 said:

Would anyone recommend some lesser known stick manufacturers? I have been curious to see what other companies are able to produce with modern capabilities. thanks

Sher-Wood. Otherwise you are better off going with last years (or the year prior) top of the line sticks when they are heavily discounted. Also, Pro Stock options are great too! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get last season’s sticks for half price if you keep your eyes open, but popular curves sell fast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If those “other guys” offered a good product, someone would say so. There’s not a hidden gem craft stick maker who’s just in it for fun and happy to make and sell qualtiy sticks at a fraction of a price. Save the $75-$100 you’d spend on curiosity and spend it on a better stick. Or, upgrade your steel or or a fancy cage or a new bag. Donate it to You Can Play or some group that supports marginalized athletes. Literally anything but some knock off fly by night company that you know in your heart is a crappy product.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2019 at 9:15 AM, start_today said:

If those “other guys” offered a good product, someone would say so. There’s not a hidden gem craft stick maker who’s just in it for fun and happy to make and sell qualtiy sticks at a fraction of a price. Save the $75-$100 you’d spend on curiosity and spend it on a better stick. Or, upgrade your steel or or a fancy cage or a new bag. Donate it to You Can Play or some group that supports marginalized athletes. Literally anything but some knock off fly by night company that you know in your heart is a crappy product.

i mean you are definitely right in a sense that i wont find some hidden gem but i dont think ill cry over a stick that cant be that bad especially when considering the "other guys" dont have the millions to spend on R&D or marketing or the reach or the reputation. im just sayin as someone who is fascinated by technological advances and also hockey im curious as to what people who just love the game can produce with out all those things i mentioned and/or whatever else i didnt. again not trying to find anything better than what bauer is producing by playing around with some small company stick. also i have played with absolute garbage sticks so if anyone suggested anything it cant be as bad as some of the old crap i played with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2019 at 5:59 AM, Ogie Oglethorpe said:

All Black hockey sticks makes a decent price point twig. Durable and good (not elite perhaps) performance.

thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrMoose9354 said:

i mean you are definitely right in a sense that i wont find some hidden gem but i dont think ill cry over a stick that cant be that bad especially when considering the "other guys" dont have the millions to spend on R&D or marketing or the reach or the reputation. im just sayin as someone who is fascinated by technological advances and also hockey im curious as to what people who just love the game can produce with out all those things i mentioned and/or whatever else i didnt. again not trying to find anything better than what bauer is producing by playing around with some small company stick. also i have played with absolute garbage sticks so if anyone suggested anything it cant be as bad as some of the old crap i played with. 

I think there’s a difference equating some of these small off brand sticks as people who just love the game with the equivalent of ma and pa shops just struggling against the big Walmarts or something like that.  A lot of these companies are just putting out junk and trying to hide it with graphics and marketing.  And I would be curious, given where they are produced, how serious they take others’ IP.

I guess the best way to put it is, it isn’t Rocky training with a log on his back in Chucks while Ivan Drago has the benefit of the latest technology and the little guy triumphs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2019 at 5:02 AM, MrMoose9354 said:

Would anyone recommend some lesser known stick manufacturers? I have been curious to see what other companies are able to produce with modern capabilities. thanks

Don't bother. There is no super secret stick company out there churning out elite twigs at half the cost. 

Start looking into pro-stocks and closeouts on previous years top models. If that's not your thing. There are plenty of really good sticks in the $120-150 range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy,

Hey man, takes all kinds.  Like others have said, seems like its easier / safer / whatever to buy close out name sticks or pro stock stuff.

But if its something you're into and you don't mind paying $100 for a dud every now and then, experimenting with the off brand / no name stuff seems fine to me.  Like was mentioned, there's maybe some IP concerns but plenty of people are able to live with that.

I've also heard decent things about All Black.  The one a buddy had that I held / flexed didn't seem like anything special, but it didn't catch on fire as soon as I touched it either.

If its something you're into, do some reviews and such.  As long as you're not expecting to actually find a $300 stick equivalent for $50 or whatever, seems like it's going to be hard to be disapointed.

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sher-wood. They used to be a popular brand when sticks were all wood. 

Also, check out prostockhockey.com for sticks that are cheaper than retail, there's a pretty wide selection so you should be able to find a player's stick that matches your lie/curve needs.

The thing I've been doing for awhile is getting separate composite shafts and replacement blades. They do weigh a bit more than one-piece composite sticks. That's more of an eBay hunt. One legitimate seller with brand-name replacement blades I found was https://www.hokejam.com/ which is a hockey store in Latvia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're better off looking at eBay or sidelineswap for pro-stock sticks. Better prices and better selection. 

Downside of pro-stock is it's a lot more work. You really need to know what you are buying. Be prepared to buy in bulk if you find something you like. You may never get another chance at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×