Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
stick9

Kessel to Arizona

Rumors are now fact. Kessel was dealt to the Coyotes along with D Dane Birks and a 2021 4th rounder for Alex Galchynuk, Pierre-Oliver Joesph. 

Howdy,

Apparently he also was asking to be traded there during the season.

I like him as a player.  Bummed to see his time with the Pens come to an end, but it seems to clearly have done so during the season from both sides.  I'll be interesting to see how he does in Arizona with Tocchet.  After he left the Pens to coach Arizona, the Pens performance definitely slumped.  Not all due to Kessel, which makes me wonder if Tocchet was more than just the Kessel whisperer.

Looks to me like it might be a trade that works out well for both parties.

Mark

Kessel is such a likable player who is the most unaverage “average” guy. He literally looks like a fellow you could meet in your local pub/bar. Of course he is a pro athlete who has put in the work to stay in the show.

I guess I was totally unaware that he wanted to be traded. With as much NHL network that I watch, you’d think I would be privy to his desire to be traded...

Hope he does well in Arizona. 

It was one of those circumstances that his time was over.  The last two years he put up lots of points but was a massive minus.  When Pens won the cup he put up fewer points but was actually a plus player.  You don't get him for his defense but there is a line.  Add to that Malkin's performance lately, the exit of other players who were key players in the Cup runs, his alleged friction with Sullivan, and it was just time.  You can't just keep the exact same team forever and expect to keep winning.  I think it was just the end of this cycle and they have to set themselves up for this last act in the Crosby/Malkin era.

11 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

It was one of those circumstances that his time was over.  The last two years he put up lots of points but was a massive minus.  When Pens won the cup he put up fewer points but was actually a plus player.  You don't get him for his defense but there is a line.  Add to that Malkin's performance lately, the exit of other players who were key players in the Cup runs, his alleged friction with Sullivan, and it was just time.  You can't just keep the exact same team forever and expect to keep winning.  I think it was just the end of this cycle and they have to set themselves up for this last act in the Crosby/Malkin era.

All good things must come to an end is the gist of it, especially when it isn’t good anymore. Great chemistry rarely is permanent in ANY workplace, ESPECIALLY in pro sports. 

On 6/30/2019 at 10:34 AM, marka said:

Howdy,

Apparently he also was asking to be traded there during the season.

I like him as a player.  Bummed to see his time with the Pens come to an end, but it seems to clearly have done so during the season from both sides.  I'll be interesting to see how he does in Arizona with Tocchet.  After he left the Pens to coach Arizona, the Pens performance definitely slumped.  Not all due to Kessel, which makes me wonder if Tocchet was more than just the Kessel whisperer.

Looks to me like it might be a trade that works out well for both parties.

Mark

Listen to Tocchet on one of the recent Spitting Chiclets podcasts. He talks about his relationship with Phil and that seems like it could have been a huge factor in why he wanted Arizona.