Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

9 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

If you're basing your decision solely based on looks, I'm not sure Warrior is what you're looking for 😆

I wonder how VT will like it! :trollface:

Exactly my thoughts. Prob get a 0 like the alpha and the Tacks 😂

21 hours ago, Oilers97 said:

Yeah... it looks so weird. I know chara was the model but it seems so low profile. Hard to say how the pro reception would be. The reakt 200 never got time at the NHL level same goes for the Fitlite 500. They really are appealing to the consumer market as a “concussion proof” or ultra safe helmet. That being said the Warrior Alpha Pro was very popular this year. 

I think I’ll stick with my V08s lol. 

The RE-AKT 200 and FL500 were both too bulky and hot to wear for extended periods of time. Especially that damn FL500. It was like wearing a bowling ball lined with foam on your head. It weighed a ton and was so hot all I can remember when wearing it was an endless supply of sweat pouring down my face. 

• Haha 1

I was reffing a men's league game last night and saw someone in a FL500 and that thing is massive. I definitely favour comfort and fit over looks when it comes to helmets as I've worn what many consider to be pretty ugly helmets like the Mission Carbster, Cascade M11, Easton E700 and briefly the Alpha Pro before going back to E700s. Out of those, the only one that probably stands out almost as much as the FL500 is the Carbster and even that didn't protrude in the back as much as the FL500. 

I do remember trying on the RE-AKT 200 in the store and thinking it was also huge and bulky. On the ice, looking at player wearing a helmet, I don't think I've ever seen anything that looks as planetary as the FL500 though.

It'll be interesting to see how the new True helmet fits and adjusts when it comes out. It's always good to have more options and if it is more protective for those it fits well then that's great. 

Edited by althoma1

I got to try one of these on today. It was incredibly comfortable and fit me very well. I’m super impressed. I’m not sure how well the removable foam inserts will hold up though. They don’t feel like they are fastened into the helmet very well. 

On 7/11/2019 at 10:20 PM, Oilers97 said:

Exactly my thoughts. Prob get a 0 like the alpha and the Tacks 😂

Ya cause the VT test means anything when it comes to safety.  Completely useless and such a croc. 

• Like 1

I really like these helmets but I am in between a small and a medium. Regardless of the padding options the helmet is either too small or too loose for me.

I was really bummed about this as I am currently stuck wearing a Re-Akt 95, which fits me decent but is a bit hot. I loved the E700 and when my very last one failed I was quite sad. Soon as I saw these I figured they would be a solid replacement for the E700. 

The only other helmet that kind of fits me is the Warrior Alpha, but it sits high on my head and feels goofy. 

1 hour ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Ya cause the VT test means anything when it comes to safety.  Completely useless and such a croc. 

You want to know what's funny? I shipped a TRUE helmet to Virginia Tech this week from my Pure Hockey store. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, EBondo said:

You want to know what's funny? I shipped a TRUE helmet to Virginia Tech this week from my Pure Hockey store. 

Can't wait to see the see the results. 

That happens when a company wont send a helmet to be tested VT then had to purchase all the helmets 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Can't wait to see the see the results. 

That happens when a company wont send a helmet to be tested VT then had to purchase all the helmets 

I thought it was weird when I saw Virginia Tech as the company and was shipping a royal blue helmet, then I was like "oh....right....that thing." Haha

• Like 2

9 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

You keep saying that, but never provide any substantial critique of their system. It seems most of your beef with them is that they’re doing things differently.

1 hour ago, flip12 said:

You keep saying that, but never provide any substantial critique of their system. It seems most of your beef with them is that they’re doing things differently.

Actually I have stated numerous times about the sub standard or incorrect head forms they are using that do not meet the standard of which all other bodies use to  test the helmets. They have made up there own forms and used neck forms that are made for other helmets and other sports. Cant be much clearer than that. 

10 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Actually I have stated numerous times about the sub standard or incorrect head forms they are using that do not meet the standard of which all other bodies use to  test the helmets. They have made up there own forms and used neck forms that are made for other helmets and other sports. Cant be much clearer than that. 

Yeah, you've stated so much, but only vaguely. Can you be more specific? What is the downfall of their approach or their setup? How are their head forms substandard? Did they make their own head forms or did they use ones typically used for other sports? I'm actually not clear on what you're saying which is why I keep hoping you'll elaborate.

42 minutes ago, flip12 said:

Yeah, you've stated so much, but only vaguely. Can you be more specific? What is the downfall of their approach or their setup? How are their head forms substandard? Did they make their own head forms or did they use ones typically used for other sports? I'm actually not clear on what you're saying which is why I keep hoping you'll elaborate.

Let me see if I can clarify as I do not pay as much attention to the details of the head forms because I do not understand all that is entailed in the whole thing. But I do my best in the meetings to understand the main points. The head forms VT uses are football head forms. Therefore the head form is not attached tot he head the same and is modified to do so.

The IE and HECC and CSA all use a standardized head form for hockey helmets. They all fit and are attached the same way.

However, VT uses a modified neck form that NOBODY else uses to attempt to simulate rotational impacts. The neck form used is made in a way that is not the way a hockey player would take a hit and the end result would be squed, from an actual real-life playing situation. My understanding is all the hockey helmet testing programs have been vigorously working over the last 4 years to come up with a test for rotational impacts and the present hockey helmet using the head form used in testing now. It's not as simple as sticking a head form on a neck form and calling the test results facts. So far all the testing has given non-consistant data and hence why there is no set program yet for rotational impact testing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stewie said:

I believe there is already a topic where this has been discussed at length. Can we stick to discussing the helmet here?

Kinda is......Just saying. Discussing whether or not the new True helmet will get a good rating or not. I think with the Mips it will do well. 

Yes, I know biased. 

2 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Kinda is......Just saying. Discussing whether or not the new True helmet will get a good rating or not. I think with the Mips it will do well. 

Yes, I know biased. 

No, the last several posts were tangentially discussing the VT testing and methods and not directly this helmet. I’d prefer to see more input on the helmet than discuss a topic that’s already discussed in length 

A few things... 

1: Can anyone link the VT Testing method thread? Would like to read through it. Incidentally, with the MIPS I expect it to do well in the test... I'm just not sure how much that matters, although from a physics POV it makes sense to me. 

2: I've heard that folks have been having a hard time getting a cage to fit it. Anyone have any insight on that, as well as a visor?

3: Is the True logo on this bucket painted on, glued on, or what? I like to take a razor blade and/or nail polish remover to my buckets.

1 hour ago, mtn said:

A few things... 

1: Can anyone link the VT Testing method thread? Would like to read through it. Incidentally, with the MIPS I expect it to do well in the test... I'm just not sure how much that matters, although from a physics POV it makes sense to me. 

2: I've heard that folks have been having a hard time getting a cage to fit it. Anyone have any insight on that, as well as a visor?

3: Is the True logo on this bucket painted on, glued on, or what? I like to take a razor blade and/or nail polish remover to my buckets.

Never use nail polish on a helmet ever!

I have the new helmet with the CCM full bubble on it and it fits easily. Actually I think the CCM fishbowl fits better on the True than it did on my Bauer Re-akt 75, but it fits on both. As for the helmet itself, it's super light, much lighter than my 75 and after 2 games, I've gotten the fit where I want it. I will say that if you like your helmet snug, like I do, you may want to wear it for a stick/puck session or coaching session. I thought I had it set perfect in the house and after my first two games (back to back) I knew I had to make it a little tighter. Now that I switched the pads out, it fits perfectly. I also took out the ear guards as they were rubbing ever so slightly on my one ear. I didn't use them on my 75 either, but I was going to see if I could keep them in with this one and I can't.

So far, overall, I'm very happy with how the helmet fits. The one other thing that was really noticeable for me was how much more breathable this helmet is compared to the Re-akt 75 and it's not even close. For those looking for a light and breathable helmet, I think you'll be very pleased with this helmet.

5 hours ago, mtn said:

A few things... 

1: 

6 hours ago, mtn said:

Why? 

It's a solvent and can affect the structural integrity of the plastic.  That's the official stance, though I'm not sure what the real world effect is.  Probably better safe than sorry when dealing with the protection of one's melon.

I wore one for my game last night. I took the advice from a previous post and went one size larger with the foam pads than I thought I needed and had zero issues. It's super comfortable and light weight. I don't believe I've ever had a better fitting helmet. Ventilation is fantastic. My CCM Fitlite cage fit but not great. It seems that if the hanger /  hinge brackets were a little longer it would be perfect. Does anyone know where I can get those brackets at different lengths? 

13 hours ago, boo10 said:

It's a solvent and can affect the structural integrity of the plastic.  That's the official stance, though I'm not sure what the real world effect is.  Probably better safe than sorry when dealing with the protection of one's melon.

Hmmm... Well, I understand the official stance and the site (and anybody with potential liability) taking a hard-line stance on this, but real-world impact would have to be minimal. I'll take the risk for myself, because I believe it to be minimal (have done it on 3 helmets so far, no ill-effects, all helmets are still in good shape and only retired due to age, hardening of foam, and pads falling out).

If I didn't throw it away already, I'm going to take an old helmet and cut it into pieces to submerge it in acetone, another in mineral spirits, and a third in alcohol. If I did throw it out, then I won't be able to. In any case, IIRC from my HS chemistry days, different plastics react differently to different solvents. It is why acetone can melt plastics, yet it is stored in plastic. Aside from that, there is a difference in submerging something in it and keeping it in it, and using a small amount on a cotton swab to remove the paint on it.