Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Recommended Posts

Any chance we will see anyone release a new curve this year? Or are we limited to the same choices as last year?

 

Also, what's your bet on the P30 sticking around? I hesitate to buy it because I don't know how long it will be available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, ParabolicActivity said:

Any chance we will see anyone release a new curve this year? Or are we limited to the same choices as last year?

 

Also, what's your bet on the P30 sticking around? I hesitate to buy it because I don't know how long it will be available.

There will be fewer curves this year than the previous years, but a couple more options for max height blades. The P30 has not been selling well so I doubt it will be around much longer. There has been a lot of people asking for the "Coffey" curve pattern to come back but I personally don't see that happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bet you'd end up seeing a good deal of Coffey curves in men's league, if it was offered. That was 'the curve' of the mid 80's.

Anyone from ages 40 to 55 or so has used a Coffey at one point.

Edited by stick9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 11:36 PM, stick9 said:

I bet you'd end up seeing a good deal of Coffey curves in men's league, if it was offered. That was 'the curve' of the mid 80's.

Anyone from ages 40 to 55 or so has used a Coffey at one point.

Not sure if I have. I don't recall ever having one.  3/4" curve was too much for me. I would get either Sher-wood or Christian USA with a 1/2" curve, square toe. I bought a Titan stick once. It broke within a week of buying it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunno if the Coffey curve was even a curve.  Just about every 5030 on the rack was marked Coffey back then.  Mine didn’t have a 3/4 curve, definitely much smaller.  Some had “SC” and “BC” as well which we always thought was small curve and big curve but who knows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A former Sher-Wood higher up once told me, “guys still using the Coffey buy their sticks and pants the same way, 50-30.”

 

🤣🤣

Edited by Buzz_LightBeer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 9:36 PM, stick9 said:

I bet you'd end up seeing a good deal of Coffey curves in men's league, if it was offered. That was 'the curve' of the mid 80's.

Anyone from ages 40 to 55 or so has used a Coffey at one point.

I'd love to see All Black or one of the budget stick brands that caters to beer leaguers just double down and sell their sticks in vintage patterns.  Anyone else remember the black and white Louisville Lockjaw blades with the wicked hooks?  Or the Easton Eurocurve?  I think it would be a niche market, to say the least...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 10:50 PM, Nicholas G said:

There will be fewer curves this year than the previous years, but a couple more options for max height blades. The P30 has not been selling well so I doubt it will be around much longer. There has been a lot of people asking for the "Coffey" curve pattern to come back but I personally don't see that happening. 

Part of me wonders if the Pro blade choices Bauer is now offering are kind of a de facto market survey to see what the popularity of those blades would be as a potential retail option.

Edited by psulion22
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

I held up a Kucherov to a Pasternak and a P28 at the Bauer store, and if there was any difference between the three, it wasn’t apparent to the eye

I'd be really curious to know if the demise of wooden blades has led to more standardization in pro curve usage & pro stock patterns.  In the days when you could take a torch to your blade, it was cheaper and easier to experiment.  Whereas, I can imagine that - in our current market - many players have become accustomed to the retail offerings and might be less likely to mix it up or fix something that isn't broken once they are better positioned to acquire custom curves.  I could, of course, be wrong, and would be curious to hear from folks who are more knowledgeable about stick acquisition & customization at higher levels...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bl4 said:

Whereas, I can imagine that - in our current market - many players have become accustomed to the retail offerings and might be less likely to mix it up or fix something that isn't broken once they are better positioned to acquire custom curves. 

I'd agree with what you've said here.  Right now you see a lot of P92 variants because that's what the pros grew up using.  So having gotten them to where they are they just make some tweaks here and there.  The newest trend is towards the P28 curve so that will probably eventually take over.  

There are some of us on this forum who grew up using Easton Iginla, Modano, and Drury curves.  2 of the those are gone while the 3rd is on its way out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mojo122 said:

There are some of us on this forum who grew up using Easton Iginla, Modano, and Drury curves.  2 of the those are gone while the 3rd is on its way out.

Legends never die

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

Legends never die

Nope, they just retire and move to Miami. 

Edited by Nicholas G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mojo122 said:

There are some of us on this forum who grew up using Easton Iginla, Modano, and Drury curves.  2 of the those are gone while the 3rd is on its way out.

As a longtime Leetch --> Lidstrom --> Getzlaf user, I feel your pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

I held up a Kucherov to a Pasternak and a P28 at the Bauer store, and if there was any difference between the three, it wasn’t apparent to the eye

The Kucherov was definitely more closed in the toe compared to a P28, and I feel the toe had less rocker also.  The blade was more flat and the toe a little wider.  I didn't compare them to a Pastrnak though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, never thought about it but I guess stick companies want to keep the curve names relevant to current stars. But a letter/number code seems to be a better way to go in case your favorite star retires or something.

I have an old Sher-wood stick in my storage shed. It's actually too heavy now compared to my composite sticks, but it says LECLAIR on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The combination of number and name solves both. Number stays constant, name continually rotates based on whoever they have under contract and is popular. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

The combination of number and name solves both. Number stays constant, name continually rotates based on whoever they have under contract and is popular. 

Pretty sure next year everyone will have phased out names on sticks. I know a couple of big brands have already told stores they are moving this direction to cut down on paying royalties and such. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×