Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

Old Silver Easton Synergy Question

Hey All,

Been away from the game for a long time,  but two new hips later...I'm registered for my first season in 15 years.  Here's my question...I used the silver Easton Synergy 85 Sakic and loved shooting with it.  Well...it doesn't exist anymore,  so...where was the kick-point on those? I'm sampling a bunch of sticks and I'm wondering if I should be favoring mid or low-kick sticks to find my new "Easton."

Thanks all! 

Anything in a tapered shaft blade combo, or a fused OPS variation of would be most similar. Sakic still exists in the major manufacturers, so you should have some bargain hunting luck. 

Most sticks will be noticeably lighter these days, and after a long hiatus you may experiment with a lower flex. You’ll also eventually graduate to a true one piece, but cross that bridge once you get there. 

If it were me, I’d go the tapered shaft route, or a Pro stick from the RBZ family, the earlier ones were fused OPS

I may be incorrect,  but wasn't the Synergy a one-piece?   Was it a low or mid-kick?  There were no kick choices then...at least not that I remember. 

I am finding that a 75 feels like the 85 used to feel. 

Pucks used to fly off that Synergy...I'm looking forward to that feeling again!   

19 hours ago, Jbear said:

I may be incorrect,  but wasn't the Synergy a one-piece?   Was it a low or mid-kick?  There were no kick choices then...at least not that I remember. 

Compared to pre-Synergy wood or aluminum sticks, pucks will fly off any modern stick. For kicks I pulled out one of my aluminum sticks from my college days (just around when the Synergy came out). It was pretty much terrible in all respects compared current sticks. Correction, it has a lot of heft making it much better for slashing 🙂

I would recommend two pieces or lower to mid end sticks to experiment and get what you like dialed in. Then when you figure out the curve, flex, kick-point, etc. go slightly nicer if you want. 

Was that Synergy as pingy as the blades on those RBZ? Everyone likes different stuff, but, to me, those blades felt like they had no touch and were so lively they were hard to take passes.  

After 15 years and two hips, my reccomendation would be to try some different sticks and see what feels good. Time and surgery means that your mechanics have probably changed. Stick tech and weights have changed so much, I assume that synergy is going to play similar to most mid-range sticks today.   

Thank you everyone...great insight. I've been buying sticks to try...now...gotta get to shooting!

The Synergy was one piece in that you picked the stick off the rack with a set flex and pattern and you could take it out to play. Under the finishing paint it was just a tapered shaft (T-Flex?) with a blade fused in at the factory. The two parts, the shaft and the blade, were molded individually and assembled at the factory. Synergys weren’t molded as true one piece sticks, like the Innovative True-1 was.

Another company to consider is Base. They offer the original composite Easton curves, so they may have the proper Sakic pattern, if you’re picky about it. That pattern has been reinterpreted by the other companies’ offerings.

Hence the name Synergy - the interaction or cooperation of two or more organizations, substances, or other agents to produce a combined effect greater than the sum of their separate effects.

I think I'd grab a halfway decent tapered shaft and a few different blades to start. But it sounds like we're past that point. The Sakic you remember is not the Sakic you see mentioned today (P92). It's deeper than the original and way more open. A real Sakic from back in the day is actually closer to a P88 than a P92, which most call it's clone.

2 hours ago, stick9 said:

Hence the name Synergy - the interaction or cooperation of two or more organizations, substances, or other agents to produce a combined effect greater than the sum of their separate effects.

I think I'd grab a halfway decent tapered shaft and a few different blades to start. But it sounds like we're past that point. The Sakic you remember is not the Sakic you see mentioned today (P92). It's deeper than the original and way more open. A real Sakic from back in the day is actually closer to a P88 than a P92, which most call it's clone.

Base say they offer the original Sakic, though.

2 hours ago, flip12 said:

But you have to buy a Base stick or blade... 

32 minutes ago, stick9 said:

But you have to buy a Base stick or blade... 

...just as you would have to buy any other brand’s sticks or blades.

Well...I have found that the W03 curve is perfect for me.  So...because I'm a scientist...here's what I have and will be testing...

-Warrior Alpha QX 75 and 85 W03

Bauer Supreme 2s Pro 87 p88

Bauer Nexus 2N Pro 82 p92

CCM Jetspeed 85 McDavid (I'll say right now...don't like the curve).

True XC9 ACF 75 Marner

Was practicing in the garage today...I have isolated that my biggest problem is transfer of weight to my front foot and hip.  When I started focusing on that, my shots immediately started getting off the ice and picking up speed.  It is a very humbling experience to have to start at the beginning again.  From 97mph and picking corners from the point to bouncing to the net...or missing...from 25'!  It's all good though. I'm almost in tears every time I'm on the ice cuz I NEVER thought I would be able to do it again. Been skating 4 times a week since school ended (I teach middle school bio). Now I'm skating with college players at sticktime and keeping up. I have NO hands yet.  That is the current goal.

Have registered for my first league since...maybe 1997-98?🥅🏒🇨🇦👍😎

Anyway...I really am grateful for your responses and it's awesome to be back in the game! 

Edited by Jbear
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, flip12 said:

...just as you would have to buy any other brand’s sticks or blades.

Yes, but those other brands are readily available at your LHS and have a bit of brand recognition. And its not like Base comes at a discounted price, $189 for a stick, $69 for a blade. Yikes!

34 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Yes, but those other brands are readily available at your LHS and have a bit of brand recognition. And its not like Base comes at a discounted price, $189 for a stick, $69 for a blade. Yikes!

Brand recognition is a surcharge that doesn't necessarily translate to material quality. People on this board are interested in more than just the obvious floating on the surface of the pond. Base is somewhat hidden, but I've heard good things and the one blade of theirs I've tried has piqued my interest. $189 is relatively fair given the price of an original Synergy updated to reflect 20 years of inflation. $189 is also far from the most expensive stick on the market. Whether or not it qualifies as a "discounted price" is more complicated than I have the experience or materials to assess.

On 7/15/2019 at 9:45 AM, flip12 said:

Found one of my old Sakic's in the basement. For those interested...seems to be a low-mid kick. I'm certainly not an expert on this, but what I can say...the curve is identical to the Warrior W03 Backstrom.  I guess that's why I'm liking that stick so far.  I still have to work on slapper mechanics, my other shots are hard and accurate with the W03 Alpha QX 85.  Gonna try the 75 tonight at practice. 

Edited by Jbear

For anyone interested, I took the Warrior QXT 75 to practice on Wednesday night...bingo!  After breaking down my mechanics and working on weight transfer in the garage all week...I finally started getting off consistent bar-downs that made me smile!  I may go up to 85's again as I get stronger, but I was really liking the feel and control of a little more flex.  Experimenting is fun, so...who knows.

Wednesday night was the first time since my "comeback" that felt like everything came together.  I walked out of the locker room and my wife was smiling...she said "You're back!" That's an awesome feeling!

Thanks again everyone.

On 7/15/2019 at 10:26 AM, Jbear said:

Well...I have found that the W03 curve is perfect for me.  So...because I'm a scientist...here's what I have and will be testing...

-Warrior Alpha QX 75 and 85 W03

Bauer Supreme 2s Pro 87 p88

Bauer Nexus 2N Pro 82 p92

CCM Jetspeed 85 McDavid (I'll say right now...don't like the curve).

True XC9 ACF 75 Marner

Was practicing in the garage today...I have isolated that my biggest problem is transfer of weight to my front foot and hip.  When I started focusing on that, my shots immediately started getting off the ice and picking up speed.  It is a very humbling experience to have to start at the beginning again.  From 97mph and picking corners from the point to bouncing to the net...or missing...from 25'!  It's all good though. I'm almost in tears every time I'm on the ice cuz I NEVER thought I would be able to do it again. Been skating 4 times a week since school ended (I teach middle school bio). Now I'm skating with college players at sticktime and keeping up. I have NO hands yet.  That is the current goal.

Have registered for my first league since...maybe 1997-98?🥅🏒🇨🇦👍😎

Anyway...I really am grateful for your responses and it's awesome to be back in the game! 

Goes out and buys 200+ $ sticks x 5  👀👀

Edited by Sniper9