Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
flip12

Materials for making replacement protective liners

Hey, I’m interested in making some liners to replace the ones in my Jofa shins. Can anyone recommend foam and cloth types for doing that? I know next to nothing about the materials used in making equipment and would love a recommendation for some introductory reading on the topic.

Thanks 🙂

• Like 1

That seems like the gusset material on some of my gloves. I could see that being a suitable cover, but I’m more curious about what foam types and densities are typically used as the bulk of the liner.

Bauer uses that poron material on the backhand liner of their gloves, might be able to find something similar to that to use as the 'foam' for your replacement liners. That material might be too hot though, but just an idea.

The foams in the liners aren't even all that dense or protective really. At least not in the originals. And the spacer mesh does already have some level of padding in it already. You could probably get everything you needed from somewhere like seattle fabrics. 

I could probably make replacement liners pretty easily... I wonder if that would be worth trying. 

• Like 1

The fabric store I know of here didn’t have any hd foams, just squishy options for stuffing teddies and decorative pillows.

I just remembered there’s also somewhat of an ingredients list on product tags too, and I usually neglect to remove those. I don’t have access to my equipment at the moment, but I could read from a tag on some Jofa elbows on eBay that they contain polyurethane foam. The density rating is just the weight of the sheet at a certain standard size, if I’m not mistaken, so it would just take some math to figure out the density of my stock liners.

@IPv6Freely thanks for the suggestion of spacer mesh. I was considering something gummier like EVA or Maltese Gel as a thin outer layer, for a bit more suctioned lock feeling against the leg, but I’m thinking the spacer mesh could have enough cushioning to make that spongier layer for the leg contact side unnecessary. My main problem with the stock liners is that they just feel so alien against the leg, but I love the fit of the shells.

Edited by flip12

1 minute ago, flip12 said:

The fabric store I know of here didn’t have any hd foams, just squishy options for stuffing teddies and decorative pillows.

I just remembered there’s also somewhat of an ingredients list on product tags too, and I usually neglect to remove those. I don’t have access to my equipment at the moment, but I could read from a tag on some Jofa elbows on eBay that they contain polyurethane foam. The density rating is just the weight of the sheet at a certain standard size, if I’m not mistaken, so it would just take some math to figure out the density of my stock liners.

@IPv6Freely thanks for the suggestion of spacer mesh. I was considering something gummier like EVA or Maltese Gel as a thin outer layer, for a bit more suctioned lock feeling against the leg. That’s my main problem with the stock liners, they feel so alien against the leg.

Maltese is dead 🙂 You'd be looking at ECOproFOAM which like Maltese I don't think is available in sheets. That said, there are plenty of other HD airgel products out there. PAW sells some here: http://www.protectiveathleticwear.com/materials.htm

Personally I'd be looking at a synthetic suede (like nash) or something (same link as above) if you don't want the mesh. That's what's used on the inside of the Passau goalie knee pads:

bycaQOv.jpg

I think a thin Airgel layer with a layer of low density foam for comfort, wrapped in either spacer mesh or nash depending on your preferences. You've got me thinking now... I have Mako shins that I loved the fit of but the padding flattened out. Was going to toss/donate them but maybe I could come up with a new liner... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Maltese is dead 🙂 You'd be looking at ECOproFOAM which like Maltese I don't think is available in sheets. That said, there are plenty of other HD airgel products out there. PAW sells some here: http://www.protectiveathleticwear.com/materials.htm

Personally I'd be looking at a synthetic suede (like nash) or something (same link as above) if you don't want the mesh. That's what's used on the inside of the Passau goalie knee pads:

I think a thin Airgel layer with a layer of low density foam for comfort, wrapped in either spacer mesh or nash depending on your preferences. You've got me thinking now... I have Mako shins that I loved the fit of but the padding flattened out. Was going to toss/donate them but maybe I could come up with a new liner... 

Thanks for the updated info and the link, I didn't even know about Maltese's end.

Definitely keep us informed if you go for it yourself. It'd be cool to compare notes 🙂