Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
kac1

Girdle Options

I am looking to see if someone can help me out with some questions regarding girdles. First off, I am a female who is coming from a Bauer women's supreme pant in size large. Everything about these pants fit fine however its time for them to be replaced. Given the lack of good options for women's pants with Bauer now, I am exploring the option of purchasing a girdle instead of traditional pants. Does anyone here have any recommendations for a girdle? Is the sizing mainly about height? Unfortunately I don't have a local shop close to me where I can try one on.

42 minutes ago, kac1 said:

I am looking to see if someone can help me out with some questions regarding girdles. First off, I am a female who is coming from a Bauer women's supreme pant in size large. Everything about these pants fit fine however its time for them to be replaced. Given the lack of good options for women's pants with Bauer now, I am exploring the option of purchasing a girdle instead of traditional pants. Does anyone here have any recommendations for a girdle? Is the sizing mainly about height? Unfortunately I don't have a local shop close to me where I can try one on.

The girdle sizing is more about height/length than overall width for fitment. That being said some offer more adjustment than others. For example, the CCM Super tacks girdle offers a ton of adjustment while the Warrior girdle does not. TRUE has a girdle that offers a decent compromise in adjustment. Pictures are below: 

rs.php?path=CSTIG-BK-4.jpg

rs.php?path=WQEPGS-1.jpg

rs.php?path=TXCPGRD-BK-1.jpg

• Like 1

I am a female (yes, it's true despite my username) and I have been wearing the Bauer Total One girdle for about 3 years and I'll never go back to regular pants. Bauer girdles are sized very differently. Bauer women's pants consider a 33" waist to be XL. WTF? in a Bauer girdle the same size is a medium, sometimes even small.

• Like 1

This is anecdotal, but you may find that if you do go the Girdle route, it will feel a little restrictive at least in the beginning.

But in about a month's worth of playing time, everything seems to settle, and it will fit you like a glove. That being said, don't be afraid to try to adjust the straps in various places to be more comfortable. I have the 7092 Tacks and it's been incredible, however the Warrior and True comes with a pocket for jock/jill, and I might try that setup in the future.

• Like 1

I find the CCM Super Tacks and 7092 run almost a full size smaller than the equivalent Bauer Nexus pants (for comparison). E.G. Someone who's comfortable in a Medium Nexus pant will probably need a Large in the CCM girdle. That's been my experience - I can comfortably wear the nexus Medium (I'm about a 32" waist) but the Medium in a SuperTacks girdle is a bit too snug around the waist, and despite the adjustments available, the girdle doesn't "close over" enough in the middle to provide proper protection. Move up to the Large in the girdle, and everything is fine.

colins

I'd use your waist measurement for sizing and if you're in between sizes I'd lean toward the smaller size. Girdles are meant to hug the body and you don't want them slipping down. My waist measurements indicated I could fit a large or XL in a girdle - I went with the large and it was very snug at first, but fits very well after breaking it in and I occasionally pull it up or tighten the belt. If I'd gone with an XL it may have felt more comfortable at first, but I'd probably be constantly pulling it up or tightening the belt.

As shoeshineboy said, the sizing of women's pants and girdles will be very different. Manufacturers assume that women will be smaller and have smaller waists than men; so even though you're a large in the women's pants, you may in fact need a small in one of the girdles. 

As far as recommendations, the 3 that Nicholas shows in his post are good options to consider. I'd lean toward the Warrior or True because I prefer to have the built in jock pouch, but if you like a wrap style girdle then the CCM Supertacks or 7092 are good options. As for the Warrior vs. True, Nicholas mentioned in the True girdle thread that the True is a bit heavier, but offers more protection.

Edited by althoma1

Tackla has always, in my opinion, made the best pants and girdles.  They have a couple of models available on different sites: 

The classic 4500 girdle (I used one for years and liked it much better than my Bauer girdle): https://www.icewarehouse.com/Tackla_Ice_Hockey_Girdles/catpage-TACKLAGIRDL.html

The new Breezer girdle (which I've heard is incredible): https://www.hockeymonkey.com/tackla-hockey-girdle-breezer-sr.html

Good luck!

Edited by AnimalFear
  • Like 1

These, best girdles ever made imho: https://www.thehockeyshop.com/products/ccm-9k-pro-senior-hockey-girdle?variant=14035494633538

If the sizing is the same as the 9k Rbk girdle then in general you need a 1/2 size up, a Bauer medium pant fits me well whereas a 9k medium girdle is very snug fitting (but it does loosen up over time to be an excellent fit). Downside is there is no cup holder, I wear NFL compression shorts for the extra hip protection and this is my cup holder. And they are super protective but you trade this off for weight, they are heavier than any other girdle. And expensive but you pay for what you get.

On 7/29/2019 at 9:45 PM, AnimalFear said:

Tackla has always, in my opinion, made the best pants and girdles.  They have a couple of models available on different sites: 

The classic 4500 girdle (I used one for years and liked it much better than my Bauer girdle): https://www.icewarehouse.com/Tackla_Ice_Hockey_Girdles/catpage-TACKLAGIRDL.html

The new Breezer girdle (which I've heard is incredible): https://www.hockeymonkey.com/tackla-hockey-girdle-breezer-sr.html

Good luck!

IceWarehouse has the 4500 weighed in at 775g for a medium, compared to 975 for the True XC9, 1043 for the Bauer 2S, 1308 for the Bauer S190, 1459 for the CCM 7092, and 1577 for the CCM Super Tacks. I know weight isn’t the be all, end all, but that’s a huge savings. How does it compare protection-wise?

*The heavier ones include shells. So maybe the difference isn’t so great after all. The Tackla’s still lighter than the next lightest by 200g, though.

On 7/30/2019 at 1:47 PM, flip12 said:

IceWarehouse has the 4500 weighed in at 775g for a medium, compared to 975 for the True XC9, 1043 for the Bauer 2S, 1308 for the Bauer S190, 1459 for the CCM 7092, and 1577 for the CCM Super Tacks. I know weight isn’t the be all, end all, but that’s a huge savings. How does it compare protection-wise?

*The heavier ones include shells. So maybe the difference isn’t so great after all. The Tackla’s still lighter than the next lightest by 200g, though.

I've only ever used the Tackla 4500 and the Bauer 1S girdle, but I liked the Tackla *way* better.  I only used the Bauer because I got it for free.  Weight was never a concern for me with either of them, to be honest.  But the Tackla was just much better quality and fit.

Thanks everyone. I think I might prefer the style of the Warrior, True or Tackla versus the wrap style of the CCM. Anyone have any experience with the True?

On 7/29/2019 at 7:39 PM, Vet88 said:

These, best girdles ever made imho: https://www.thehockeyshop.com/products/ccm-9k-pro-senior-hockey-girdle?variant=14035494633538

If the sizing is the same as the 9k Rbk girdle then in general you need a 1/2 size up, a Bauer medium pant fits me well whereas a 9k medium girdle is very snug fitting (but it does loosen up over time to be an excellent fit). Downside is there is no cup holder, I wear NFL compression shorts for the extra hip protection and this is my cup holder. And they are super protective but you trade this off for weight, they are heavier than any other girdle. And expensive but you pay for what you get.

No cup holder in the girdle? Damn, that sucks. I was looking to grab one of these for crazy cheap. 

The best girdle I've owned (and currently use) is the RBK 9k pro stock. You can get them on sideline swap if you're not in a huge rush and they are by far, the best girdles out there. They have enough adjustment and the best protection, plus there are so many shells you can use with them because a ton of pro's still wear them. I bought mine on SLS for about $100 brand new.

On 9/6/2019 at 10:52 AM, MyBoxersSayJoe said:

My friend who just returned to hockey after a hip replacement, swears by the new Tackla girdle.

I just got one of those. Haven’t used it on the ice yet because it’s still a bit small for me but man the comfort and protection level is amazing. 

6 hours ago, darkhors said:

The best girdle I've owned (and currently use) is the RBK 9k pro stock. You can get them on sideline swap if you're not in a huge rush and they are by far, the best girdles out there. They have enough adjustment and the best protection, plus there are so many shells you can use with them because a ton of pro's still wear them. I bought mine on SLS for about $100 brand new.

I picked up a brand new old stock 9k girdle on PSH for $70 shipped a few weeks back (they still have XL in stock), it replaced my old 9K that was falling apart.  I love the mobility and protection the 9K provides.

Also, you can wear any shell on any girdle, you don't need to wear the PP90's on 9K's, anything fits as long as it has a belt 😉

• Like 1

Sorry to bring this back up. Has anyone tried the 2s Pro girdle yet? I'm wearing Easton Pro 15 pants in medium right now and they're tanks. I love the coverage they give and the extra length and haven't seen anything with better tailbone protection. The problem I have is they start feeling pretty heavy as the game goes on. I'm wanting to give a girdle a shot. I had bought the Super Tacks in large because the medium was way too snug in the belly area, but ended up returning them. Even though I'm 6'1" I couldn't get the thigh at a comfortable spot where it wasn't getting hung up on the knee cap of my shins. I had the adjustment as short as I could get them to the point where the upper thigh area was bunching which was strange to me since medium pants are normally too short and large have good length, but with a waist that's a bit loose on me. I could also feel the spine guard digging into my lower back which I could see being very uncomfortable after a few shifts. I've never worn a girdle so I don't really know how it should fit as far as length goes. I know it should be snug, but if I have to size up for the extra length, will it cause any issues once you cinch it down with the shell's belt?

12 hours ago, Doug said:

Sorry to bring this back up. Has anyone tried the 2s Pro girdle yet? I'm wearing Easton Pro 15 pants in medium right now and they're tanks. I love the coverage they give and the extra length and haven't seen anything with better tailbone protection. The problem I have is they start feeling pretty heavy as the game goes on. I'm wanting to give a girdle a shot. I had bought the Super Tacks in large because the medium was way too snug in the belly area, but ended up returning them. Even though I'm 6'1" I couldn't get the thigh at a comfortable spot where it wasn't getting hung up on the knee cap of my shins. I had the adjustment as short as I could get them to the point where the upper thigh area was bunching which was strange to me since medium pants are normally too short and large have good length, but with a waist that's a bit loose on me. I could also feel the spine guard digging into my lower back which I could see being very uncomfortable after a few shifts. I've never worn a girdle so I don't really know how it should fit as far as length goes. I know it should be snug, but if I have to size up for the extra length, will it cause any issues once you cinch it down with the shell's belt?

I hate the 2S Pro girdle. The protection is lacking compared to other options. Take a peek at the TRUE XC9 girdle.  

On 1/12/2020 at 12:36 AM, SkateWorksPNW said:

I hate the 2S Pro girdle. The protection is lacking compared to other options. Take a peek at the TRUE XC9 girdle.  

Thanks. Went the the LHS and tried them on today. Agreed about the 2S Pro. I tried on the XC9 girdle as well, but didn't really like it much either.

On 7/29/2019 at 10:39 PM, Vet88 said:

Would you recommend going with a large 9k since I normally wear a medium pant? When I tried the tacks, the medium was way too tight in the waist. Wondering if the 9k is the same fit.

4 hours ago, Doug said:

Would you recommend going with a large 9k since I normally wear a medium pant? When I tried the tacks, the medium was way too tight in the waist. Wondering if the 9k is the same fit.

It depends on waist and build and how you like the fit. I was a slim build, 34" waist and the 9k medium was snug on me, I like the snug fit. If I was a solid build, ie fat assed, I'd have really struggled. However over the years middle aged spread has crept up on me and the girdle has stretched to accommodate it. If you are a solid medium and like a looser fit I'd go with a large. If you are a slim to normal medium and like a snug fit I'd go with a medium.

The Tacks girdle fits WAYYYY tighter than the 9K girdle.  Both are adjustable length wise but the Tacks also feels a little shorter in the legs than the 9K (and the thigh wrap on the Tacks is like 1/3 the size of the 9K, I have pretty skinny legs and the Tacks were tight on my thighs which never happens, on the 9K I have the thigh straps all the way over and they're just barely snug).

I recently switched from a pair of  beat up Tackla 9000 airs to a Supertacks girdle based on glowing reviews here and elsewhere.  It is a little early to tell if I am going to keep using it vs going back to a new pair of Tackla 9000's but I will definitely agree with previous posters regarding size - it definitely fits snug/small to size.  Go a size up if in doubt.  I'm in a large and debated going with a medium when I bought it, but I am very glad I went with a large.  There is no way I could fit in a medium.  I have 2 pairs of 9000's actually - a size 48 tall and a size 52 regular.  The 48 tall is somewhat snug and the 52 is slightly big.  I would guess a 50 would fit me perfectly but they were hard to find up until recently.  For reference I am 6'1", 195.

As far as the Supertacks girdle goes, it is much more protective especially in the tailbone and lower back vs the Tackla 900 pants, but it is certainly a different feel coming from the traditional Tackla pant fit.  I've only played a few games in it so far, and if what the previous posters have said is true it should start to break in and loosen up.  It certainly seems more restrictive for now vs the loose 9000 pant feel.  I also cut off that top "tab" above the beltline.  It was incredibly annoying.

• Like 1