Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
caveman27

Andrei Vasilevskiy signs 8-year contract with Tampa

Andrei Vasilevskiy signed an eight-year, $76 million contract extension with the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday. It has an average annual value of $9.5 million.

The 25-year-old goalie could have become a restricted free agent after this season. His contract matches what Lightning forward Nikita Kucherov signed July 10, 2018.

"I'm pretty excited to stay in Tampa," Vasilevskiy said. "Excited and happy to stay for another nine years. I want to thank the entire organization for this and thanks to our fans."

Vasilevskiy was 39-10-4 last season and won the Vezina Trophy voted as the top goalie in the NHL. He led the League in wins, tied for sixth in save percentage (.925), ranked ninth in goals-against average (2.40), and tied for fourth in shutouts (six). He is in the final season of a three-year contract that has an average annual value of $3.5 million. 

The extension will begin in the 2020-21 season.

https://www.nhl.com/news/andrei-vasilevskiy-signs-eight-year-extension-with-tampa-bay/c-308378128?mi_u=2002022835

He's definitely a good goalie and the team can build around him. 

He did very good. I am curious to see if him and Bennington will get their chins so high that they will stop seing the puck. I am also curious how Bobrovski will do after scoring the huge payday.

Much like Bob, a huge payday for a guy who's never won a thing. Terrible cap management by the Bolts, especially since he was under contract for another year.

Edited by stick9

On 8/3/2019 at 12:08 PM, stick9 said:

Much like Bob, a huge payday for a guy who's never won a thing. Terrible cap management by the Bolts, especially since he was under contract for another year.

He won the Vezina Trophy.

4 hours ago, caveman27 said:

He won the Vezina Trophy.

So has Price, Lundqvist, Rinne & Bobrovsky. You know what else they all have in common? None of them have won a Stanley Cup. In fact, the last guy to win a Vezina and a SC in the same year was Tim Thomas back in 2011.

19 minutes ago, stick9 said:

So has Price, Lundqvist, Rinne & Bobrovsky. You know what else they all have in common? None of them have won a Stanley Cup. In fact, the last guy to win a Vezina and a SC in the same year was Tim Thomas back in 2011.

Well, I'm not the GM or owner. If a team wants to hold on to a goalie they think is good, that's their business.

I'm sure everyone is aware of the Rick DiPietro catastrophe where he got an expensive contract but was injured all the time.

I'd keep him too, just not at that number.

Not so much the injury concern. More so hitching yourself to a guy for top dollar who hasn't been able to get you past the conference finals. Which is massive since it's a freaking all-star team.

Edited by stick9

2 hours ago, stick9 said:

I'd keep him too, just not at that number.

Not so much the injury concern. More so hitching yourself to a guy for top dollar who hasn't been able to get you past the conference finals. Which is massive since it's a freaking all-star team.

Oh. I see it as them wanting to build around a proven goalie. Is the number kind of high? I don't think so. But, it's high enough for me, you and others to take notice. I don't think he's a flash-in-the-pan goalie whose SV% is going into the 80%s.

Well, a goalie doesn't single handedly take a team past the conference finals. It's a team effort, everyone, forwards, defense, goalie, head coach, training staff, and GM make it happen. They have a lot of the right pieces in already, but they broke down in the play-offs. I'm not a Lightning fan, and was surprised at their early exit.

It is not like Tampa just threw the money at Vasy because they could. Perhaps he was ready to walk if they did not give him that. How much grief the club would risk to catch if their starter is Domingo, and for whatever reason incapable of stopping a beachball? 8M us going rate for goalies of this statue, they paid 1.5 over for a security of having the best chance not to become in last year Panthers shoes... A team that can score a dozen goals a game, but give up a dozen+1. Tampa still can get there now, but at least there will be no kangaroo court over them letting go a solid goalie. Plus if Vasy would have left by now, them signing Point would have become that much harder, who knows what else would have started to slide. The club is in time of a delicate balance and they have to do everything they can not to disturb that.

On 8/7/2019 at 5:10 PM, caveman27 said:

Well, I'm not the GM or owner. If a team wants to hold on to a goalie they think is good, that's their business.

I'm sure everyone is aware of the Rick DiPietro catastrophe where he got an expensive contract but was injured all the time.

DiPietro is a fine example of an organization making a huge mistake and then compounding that mistake. The Isles fell in love with DiPietro's puck handling for one decent year of college hockey and dealt a known cornerstone goalie for the chance to draft him. Then they doubled down on stupid with his contract, that they are still paying.

52 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

DiPietro is a fine example of an organization making a huge mistake and then compounding that mistake. The Isles fell in love with DiPietro's puck handling for one decent year of college hockey and dealt a known cornerstone goalie for the chance to draft him. Then they doubled down on stupid with his contract, that they are still paying.

Sports_Illustrated_702730_20010219-069-2

😂

I still can't believe Millbury traded Luongo for that pick.

Millbury made some stupid deals, there are many to choose from. Luongo and Chara have to be the two biggest. Both guys are locks for the HHoF.

Edited by stick9
  • Like 1