Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Bauer ADV vs BGP2P (Pro Stock ADV) weight?

Had a chance to tinker with a pro stock Bauer ADV wrapped as a 1X Lite and the first thing I noticed was it didn't weight the same as an ADV and felt heavier, it was very apparent as soon as I picked it up. I weighed it and uncut 64", without tape, it tipped the scale at 410 grams. Significantly heavier than an ADV. This doesn't seem normal? I know for sure it's an ADV as I got it from a Bauer Rep and it has the BGP2P code and the ADV green marking on the lower part of the stick.

What gives?

I know some pro stock sticks can vary in weight (up or down) depending on the blade the player uses and such, but 60 grams difference is significant. 

4 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Not for an ADV. P28 style pattern. 

Well, it could be possible that since it is longer than the usual 60" stick, the R&D people found they needed to reinforce the length of the shaft with extra material for a 64" stick to have 87 flex. A 64" stick getting pressed down in the middle would be a bit floppier/softer than a 60" stick getting pressed down in the middle if the shaft were made exactly the same. That's my first guess. But that wouldn't necessarily add 60 grams.

My second guess is that the player didn't like the ADV blade feel and requested to have the stick made with an ADV shaft connected to a 1N or 2N Pro blade, which is heavier than an ADV blade. 

1 minute ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Are the extended shafts actually that now? For years they were nothing more than fused composite plugs, which may account for the weight. 

My understanding is any flex over 85 is now being made with a longer shaft at most manufacturers and its no longer a fused extension. I could be wrong though, but that's how the Warrior sticks are built. Maybe I'll take apart this ADV and see. 

Bauer still fuses in the extension. I have a few +4 inch pro stock 1X Lite/2S Pros where I cut through the fused section and the top of the stick is double walled from the extension’s tenon and filled with epoxy and foam.

They measure the flex at retail length and do not make any adjustments to the shaft construction unless the build calls for it (SE models as an example).

Edited by Cavs019
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

Bauer still fuses in the extension. I have a few +4 inch pro stock 1X Lite/2S Pros where I cut through the fused section and the top of the stick is double walled from the extension’s tenon and filled with epoxy and foam.

They measure the flex at retail length and do not make any adjustments to the shaft construction unless the build calls for it (SE models as an example).

Interesting. Good to know. But even still, that cannot account for more than 10-15 grams of weight total. Not such a significant difference. Any thoughts there? 

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

My understanding is any flex over 85 is now being made with a longer shaft at most manufacturers and its no longer a fused extension. I could be wrong though, but that's how the Warrior sticks are built. Maybe I'll take apart this ADV and see. 

BGP2P sticks have a fused extension.  I have personally had to cut one down, so I know this from experience.  I can also say that my BGP2P is noticeably lighter than my 1X 3.0 at the same length, even with a larger P10 vs P88 blade.  So the Pro Stock ADV is still lighter than a Pro Stock 1X Lite.  

Edit:  I just went and found what I could of the extension I cut off.  The pieces I found are about 5.5" long, which account for the 4" extension and an extra 1.5", but there is still some of the tenon from the extension in the stick.  Those 5.5" pieces weigh 39 grams. It's also not all of what I cut, I'm still missing about 1/4-1/2".  So the extension plus the epoxy used to fuse it in could easily weigh most of that 60 grams.

Edited by psulion22
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Interesting. Good to know. But even still, that cannot account for more than 10-15 grams of weight total. Not such a significant difference. Any thoughts there? 

Looks like the others chimed in.

The extension is pretty significant - the tenon isn't hollow at all.

4 hours ago, psulion22 said:

BGP2P sticks have a fused extension.  I have personally had to cut one down, so I know this from experience.  I can also say that my BGP2P is noticeably lighter than my 1X 3.0 at the same length, even with a larger P10 vs P88 blade.  So the Pro Stock ADV is still lighter than a Pro Stock 1X Lite.  

Edit:  I just went and found what I could of the extension I cut off.  The pieces I found are about 5.5" long, which account for the 4" extension and an extra 1.5", but there is still some of the tenon from the extension in the stick.  Those 5.5" pieces weigh 39 grams. It's also not all of what I cut, I'm still missing about 1/4-1/2".  So the extension plus the epoxy used to fuse it in could easily weigh most of that 60 grams.

Very interesting. Ill cut it today and weight the end. I use 57" length shaft anyways so seeing the weight savings of the 7" will be interesting. 

On 7/31/2019 at 10:42 AM, Nicholas G said:

No. Just built long. 

There is an extension they put it in when they make the stick. I used to think it was just built long too until I got a pro stick adv  that was 64” when I cut it down to about 58.25” you can see the part of the extension that goes into stick it was very thick at the top after I cut it bc it was the stick plus the part that goes inside the shaft. Pro stock ADVs all weigh different I’ve had 3. They were 390(one with extension) 374, and 366. They all don’t have an ADV blade which is super stiff and super light. So they’re ADV builds with different blades the other thing was one of mine was a P28M curve and that extra height adds weight.

1 hour ago, sbecks72986 said:

There is an extension they put it in when they make the stick. I used to think it was just built long too until I got a pro stick adv  that was 64” when I cut it down to about 58.25” you can see the part of the extension that goes into stick it was very thick at the top after I cut it bc it was the stick plus the part that goes inside the shaft. Pro stock ADVs all weigh different I’ve had 3. They were 390(one with extension) 374, and 366. They all don’t have an ADV blade which is super stiff and super light. So they’re ADV builds with different blades the other thing was one of mine was a P28M curve and that extra height adds weight.

Yeah, had a chance to cut and weigh it and it tips the scale at 366 grams cut to 57" without any tape.

The blade seems slightly different than the factory ADV so I think this player went with a Nexus blade. 

Overall, very lightweight. Maybe too light.....

59 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Yeah, had a chance to cut and weigh it and it tips the scale at 366 grams cut to 57" without any tape.

The blade seems slightly different than the factory ADV so I think this player went with a Nexus blade. 

Yea one of mine had a nexus blade too I think. They’re heavier than the adv retail blade for sure.

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

You’re gonna like it a lot. I was using all pro advs this year i been loving them. I just got the flylite two weeks ago and really like it taped up it’s about 10 grams heavier than my lightest ADV pro stock but it’s lighter than the other two, it’s 374 grams taped and cut about 1.5”

On 8/1/2019 at 12:05 PM, sbecks72986 said:

You’re gonna like it a lot. I was using all pro advs this year i been loving them. I just got the flylite two weeks ago and really like it taped up it’s about 10 grams heavier than my lightest ADV pro stock but it’s lighter than the other two, it’s 374 grams taped and cut about 1.5”

All I can say is, WOW. I grabbed one of these for myself, and I am shocked. 

The shots come off so hard and fast with this stick its unbelievable. I usually use a shorter stick, top of my collar bone, as it helps decrease the swing weight feel and makes it easier for controlling the puck with one hand. With this stick being so light I increased the length to just slightly under my chin which also allows me to load the shot better and the puck literally rifles off this thing. While I am still adjusting to the increased length my shooting has been unreal. 

Last night I was practicing one timers from the top of the circle and shattered a glass pane which is something I haven't done in quite a long time. All of the shots came off blistering fast with a ton of power even when the puck wasn't in the "sweet spot". 

Also, everyone was right that the top 4-6" of the stick is double walled and once cut it dropped a TON of weight. 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 1:05 PM, sbecks72986 said:

Bringing up an old thread… but did you find a difference between the ADV pro stock and flylite other than weight? I really liked my flylites and am thinking of getting a pro stock bgp2b build from SIG or hockeystickman… or if there’s not a much difference just get a hyperlite 

BGP2B isn't a Flylite and is a different taper. Totally different stick, BGP2B was way better than the Flylite

If you like the Flylite, look at the Hyperlites or Ag5nt builds.

9 hours ago, Hills said:

BGP2B isn't a Flylite and is a different taper. Totally different stick, BGP2B was way better than the Flylite

If you like the Flylite, look at the Hyperlites or Ag5nt builds.

Oh I know it’s a different build but wasn’t sure how much different it was. Love my 2NPROXL’s but was wanting to try the low kick sister build from Bauer. Basically if the BGP2B is that much better, I know I’ll like it. So if the BGP2B is that much better than the flylites and hyperlites, I’m sold. 

I am curious though if any of the current retail builds come close to the BGP2B? I ask because it’s a hard build to find in my preferred flex (I like a whippy 70 or 77 flex and most pro stocks I find are 82 or higher).

Edited by Yardelm

kk, just making sure.

BGP2B is pretty on par with the Hyperlite. I know people will swear they are better, but I didn't notice a massive difference in shooting between the two. I would say you are safe with anything that isn't a Flylite tbh,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hills said:

kk, just making sure.

BGP2B is pretty on par with the Hyperlite. I know people will swear they are better, but I didn't notice a massive difference in shooting between the two. I would say you are safe with anything that isn't a Flylite tbh,

So the modern ccm’s are as good or better than the BGP2B? I know people get divided by brand but I like using everything and ccm does make some very good sticks at the moment. Can't decide if I try to find a BGP2B, or go for a retail Trigger 7 Pro or the new Jetspeed FT6 Pro (liked the FT5 and As4 and Asv Pro's)... Or just be sensible and use one of my existing sticks but where's the fun in that!