Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
hockeydad3

Difference between Supreme 180 and S29 skates

Hi,

I have big problems to find a suitable skate. Now Bauer 3DScan wants to put my feet into the new supreme line 6.5D. Before i buy another skate for the shelf i want to try it longer on the ice. I could get a used but usable supreme 180 for little money to find out if the boot would suit my needs better than the skates I own.

Is there a difference between the supreme 180 and the S29 in terms of the fitprofile?

43 minutes ago, hockeydad3 said:

Hi,

I have big problems to find a suitable skate. Now Bauer 3DScan wants to put my feet into the new supreme line 6.5D. Before i buy another skate for the shelf i want to try it longer on the ice. I could get a used but usable supreme 180 for little money to find out if the boot would suit my needs better than the skates I own.

Is there a difference between the supreme 180 and the S29 in terms of the fitprofile?

Supreme 180 (2 gens ago) or Supreme S180 (one gen ago)? In either case, the fit profile should be the same, my yougest son was in Supreme 180 before and has tried on the S29 (but bought the 2S Pro) and they felt very equally comfortable on his foot.

colins

Fit profile shouldn't be much different, however, if you have a chance to jump on a 180 (180 or S180), I would hop on that very quickly before buying the S29. Major difference in boot quality.

• Like 1

The broad stokes should be similar, but smaller things do make a difference. When I tried on the MX3 skates they didn't work for me. Pressure points etc.  But when I tried on a pair of S190s they were perfect. I believe there was a change in the toe cap. Regardless of what changes they made, the small difference can matter for some and not matter at all for others. 

1 hour ago, start_today said:

Are the s29s closer to the 180 or the 170? My (quick and dirty) understanding was that they were more on the 170 level, and 2S are like a mix of 180 and 190. 

For sure more like the 170, the tendon guard is cheap and the LS1 steel is junk. If I bought the S29 the first thing I'd do is swap the steel with some Step or at least LS3. The cheap tendon guard is harder to deal with - you'd just have to be extra careful taking them on and off not to destroy it prematurely.

I don't think there's any doubt that CCM currently has the better value propositions in their line - if you have a foot that fits their profiles.

colins