Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Oilers97

Help with vision in a cage.

Hi. 

I currently have a vector 08 with a warrior cage off my PX+ (grey) as I didn’t like how huge it was. But even when I had it on the proper helmet, I can’t see a damn thing out of it. I always lose and miss the puck on passes and I’m missing easy one timers. I’m usually very good at this but it’s affected my game badly. I also wear glasses so it gets really bad at times. Contacts are t an option due to my all ready very sensitive eyes.   

I am too too much of a chicken to go back to a visor. In that, I had zero issues with puck reception and one timers. I have a Bauer HDO pro clip. It is also tinted which helped with my eye issues. But I was always so afraid of getting hit in the Face id never go into the corners, stand by the net etc. And I did take a pass off the jaw. So lucky it wasn’t worse. 

I am looking at the Bauer profile II i2. I’m not sure if it fits well on a CCM helmet. I don’t think I want the full shield as when I reffed years ago the top mount visor (Bauer X100 I think?) fogged so bad I couldn’t see. I just need something so I can see what I’m doing. I’ve become useless and I always lose it in my feet and in front of me in ways I never used to. 

Any other suggestions or feedback on this cage? Thanks guys. 

I have a couple of V08's and have used the Profile II's for a few years (I prefer the grey or the oreo one, the bright white I didn't care for). The Profile II fits the V08 great but make sure you get the size that fits your face... I wear a large Bauer cage on my small V08, the cage and helmet don't have to be the same size.  I went with the Profile because it was the closest shape to the old Jofa I had in the 90s (CCM makes something similar but their sizing is odd, medium is way too small and large way too big).

As for the Reakt, I've been trying one for the past month and a half on one of my helmets and I'm still on the fence... I like the weight (which I really didn't think would be noticeable), and the color since it is less distracting, but it's a slightly different/smaller shape than the Profile (I prefer the Profile shape over the Reakt) and the bars spacing is ever so slightly different than the Reakt so it took me a while to get used to t.  All in all I think both are great choices and both fit well on V08 helmets.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

I have a couple of V08's and have used the Profile II's for a few years (I prefer the grey or the oreo one, the bright white I didn't care for). The Profile II fits the V08 great but make sure you get the size that fits your face... I wear a large Bauer cage on my small V08, the cage and helmet don't have to be the same size.  I went with the Profile because it was the closest shape to the old Jofa I had in the 90s (CCM makes something similar but their sizing is odd, medium is way too small and large way too big).

As for the Reakt, I've been trying one for the past month and a half on one of my helmets and I'm still on the fence... I like the weight (which I really didn't think would be noticeable), and the color since it is less distracting, but it's a slightly different/smaller shape than the Profile (I prefer the Profile shape over the Reakt) and the bars spacing is ever so slightly different than the Reakt so it took me a while to get used to t.  All in all I think both are great choices and both fit well on V08 helmets.

Thank you. I had no idea cages could be different sizes from the helmet. I was using a medium warrior on a medium v08 and it was too big. Thanks everyone. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JoeyJ0506 said:

A cage with white bars really helped my transition from a visor to a cage full-time.

I wore a cage in minor (24 now) and really only started up again 2 years ago. I just was getting too afraid. But I’m going to see if I can find a white bar cage here in town or I’ll order it online. 

4 hours ago, Oilers97 said:

I wore a cage in minor (24 now) and really only started up again 2 years ago. I just was getting too afraid. But I’m going to see if I can find a white bar cage here in town or I’ll order it online. 

It took getting a tooth knocked out by a high stick for me to change. It's just not worth it.

5 hours ago, Oilers97 said:

You can always paint the inside of your cage white too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

You can always paint the inside of your cage white too. 

Better make sure you know what you are doing, you don't want to blast paint chips into your eyes upon impact. So make sure you are using a suitable paint and not just the first white spray you see on the counter.

Thanks again everyone. Going to go to the LHS with my helmet and try things out. I don’t remember having such severe issues in minor hockey. But now I can barley see (didn’t wear glasses back then). But I went into a harder shooting, faster league and I’m definitely wearing a cage. Taken 2 pucks to the helmet and cage so no way. 

Going to see all they have and go from there. I’m not going to paint my own I don’t think. I thought about it but then the chipping issue could be bad. Also I am worried about a fishbowl fogging up badly. 

What i I truly want is a way to use my tinted visor and a cage attachment but I don’t think it exists. Even a clear visor (not top mounting) and a cage bottom. It’s because of severe fogging I had in the past. 

1 hour ago, Oilers97 said:

What i I truly want is a way to use my tinted visor and a cage attachment but I don’t think it exists. Even a clear visor (not top mounting) and a cage bottom. It’s because of severe fogging I had in the past. 

It does exist, someone posted a picture in another thread of Putin wearing one but I couldn't find anything similar to what he had. Possibly the bottom wire cage he had that clipped onto the visor was custom made. However Boulder are about to release something similar, the "Zero Plus Senior", it comes out mid Sept. https://hockeyfaceshields.com/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Left Wing King said:

I use a fishbowl, and smear washing up liquid on the inside of it before use. Never had a fogging issue.

I have a Bauer fish bowl, I used it once and moisture was streaming down the inside, it was completely unusable. On our rink even my washing up treated glasses fog up. It is a very humid rink. Some of the Olympic women's teams wore fish bowls, so they do work sometimes.

4 hours ago, Vet88 said:

It does exist, someone posted a picture in another thread of Putin wearing one but I couldn't find anything similar to what he had. Possibly the bottom wire cage he had that clipped onto the visor was custom made. However Boulder are about to release something similar, the "Zero Plus Senior", it comes out mid Sept. https://hockeyfaceshields.com/

Looks good. I like the fact that the visor is quite separate from the cage, giving plenty of ventilation. I hope these will be available in Europe/UK. 

I use a spray to keep my fishbowl from fogging, but if I forget, I take off my helmet and squirt ice water on it, that seems to keep the fog away for at least one period.

9 hours ago, Oilers97 said:

Thanks again everyone. Going to go to the LHS with my helmet and try things out. I don’t remember having such severe issues in minor hockey. But now I can barley see (didn’t wear glasses back then). But I went into a harder shooting, faster league and I’m definitely wearing a cage. Taken 2 pucks to the helmet and cage so no way. 

Going to see all they have and go from there. I’m not going to paint my own I don’t think. I thought about it but then the chipping issue could be bad. Also I am worried about a fishbowl fogging up badly. 

If you don't mind spending a few bucks you can get it powder coated

Hey guys. I decided and got the Bauer profile II i2 (black outside white inside) hell of a time getting it on but it feels amazing. Wayyyyyy better than the warrior. It feels like it fits and sits right. Chin is in the right spot. Will use it Friday so we will see how it goes! Thanks for your help. I’ll keep the rest in mind too if I don’t end up liking this. 

• Like 2

On 8/19/2019 at 3:00 PM, JoeyJ0506 said:

A cage with white bars really helped my transition from a visor to a cage full-time.

Why would the color of the cage make a difference? It might feel that way, but I think it's an inaccurate perception, because white bars block your vision just as much as black bars.

I tried a chrome cage once and it was a major nuisance, though not because of the color but because of the glare. It reflected so much light it felt like 30 constantly moving tiny flashlights pointed at my face. I usually wear a black cage and don't really notice it. It's not like I ever forget I have it on, but I also never feel like it's interfering with my vision of the play or the puck. That blame usually lies with something not quite right with my stick setup.

1 hour ago, YesLanges said:

Why would the color of the cage make a difference? It might feel that way, but I think it's an inaccurate perception, because white bars block your vision just as much as black bars.

It makes a huge difference. When you have bars in front of your eyes, it’s much much easier to pick up the puck when the bars are the same color as the background (the ice).

Source: Goalie who always wears white cages on his masks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

It makes a huge difference. When you have bars in front of your eyes, it’s much much easier to pick up the puck when the bars are the same color as the background (the ice).

Source: Goalie who always wears white cages on his masks

100% agree. I painted my Re-Akt cage white on the inside and the change was significant. 

Edited by Nicholas G

Update: I played last night with the profile II i2. And oh wow what a difference. I could see the puck I was getting passes and it felt so much more comfortable than the warrior. I don’t feel useless anymore!!!! Thanks everyone for your feedback and ideas. I feel safe and can see. 

• Like 3

On 8/23/2019 at 1:09 PM, YesLanges said:

Both black and gunmetal colored cages made it really difficult for my eyes to see "beyond the cage." My eyes had a hard time not focusing on the cage.

White, apparently, blends in more for me and allows me to see past the bars in front of my face.

Personal experience, no scientific proof to back it up. If that is what you are looking for, I don't have it. 🤙🏻

• Like 1

You can probably get used to anything, eventually. But for somebody switching from a visor it definitely helps to not have dark lines in front of your eyes.

• Like 1